The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Guillaume Brisebois to a one-year, two-way contract.

3 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I still think he should be our 7th defender. This season should be cultivating our young defenders who have shown signs of being ready for the show.

Benn should be expecting to play both side on the bottom pairing, Right side for a while with Juolevi, Left side with Rafferty, then back to the Right side with Brisebois. Give all the kids a chance to play and show what they’ve got.

I’d like to see:

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Schmidt 

Juolevi - Benn

Brisebois, Rafferty

Logical.  If this is what we got, I am kind of worried.  I mean, these rookies will need to play their best hockey ever to keep us competitive every night. I will be happy if they can pull that off, but I don't expect them to actually do it night in night out.  What say you?

3 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

Logical.  If this is what we got, I am kind of worried.  I mean, these rookies will need to play their best hockey ever to keep us competitive every night. I will be happy if they can pull that off, but I don't expect them to actually do it night in night out.  What say you?

Well there’s only one rookie on D if that’s the case.

HUGHES - MYERS

EDLER - SCHMIDT

_________ - BENN

So its a competition between Juolevi, Rafferty and Brisebois then isn’t it...

This is a pretty good defense.

Add:

HOLTBY

DEMKO

The Canucks are in great shape.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, The Colt 45s said:

Only one rookie in per night I think is manageable. Especially as I feel all have shown an ability to keep up in small showings.

but on top of that, I personally feel we over achieved last season, and am expecting a small regression this year. Our best years with this current team are still ahead, so I’m just planning on enjoying the ride for now. Once we have the big two signed after next season and we can plan better how to surround our core I’ll raise my expectations. Until then all success above a playoff spot is a bonus...

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I still think he should be our 7th defender. This season should be cultivating our young defenders who have shown signs of being ready for the show.

Benn should be expecting to play both side on the bottom pairing, Right side for a while with Juolevi, Left side with Rafferty, then back to the Right side with Brisebois. Give all the kids a chance to play and show what they’ve got.

I’d like to see:

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Schmidt 

Juolevi - Benn

Brisebois, Rafferty

I actually do like that. He's shown well in limited minutes and I feel he could handle the pressure.

19 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Good! Now play him now that our depth on D is thin. This kid has done his time in Utica and I would want to see him as our 7-8 D man. When we drafted him (3rd rounder from the Eddie Lack trade) he was already the captain of his junior team at 17. Has good numbers as a two way D in the AHL. I just wonder why Benning never mentions his name along the OJ Rathbones and Chatfield, why not mention Brise? He’s earned his time to play in the bigs. Now or never IMO.

Funny, I've heard his awkward pronunciation of 'breeze-bah' loads of times over the last couple years :lol: Seems to think quite highly of him actually (despite many on CDC and in media completely writing him off).

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Well there’s only one rookie on D of that’s the case.

HUGHES - MYERS

EDLER - SCHMIDT

_________ - BENN

So its a competition between Juolevi, Rafferty and Brisebois then isn’t it...

This is a pretty good defense.

Add:

HOLTBY

DEMKO

The Canucks are in great shape.

I'd still prefer if we could improve on Benn, have him as a spare/'waived' (taxi squad)... and think that's likely still the aim. Someone like Hainsey or Hamonic etc on a cheap, one year deal would be great.

Hughes, Myers

Edler, Schmidt

_____, Hainsey/Hamonic etc

Juolevi, Brisebois, Rafferty, Benn to rotate in.

Same idea with more/better veteran depth able to slide up to 2nd pair with injuries.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd still prefer if we could improve on Benn, have him as a spare/'waived' (taxi squad)... and think that's likely still the aim. Someone like Hainsey or Hamonic etc on a cheap, one year deal would be great.

I'm with you on that. Benn didn't show as I expected and we have no reason to believe he will be a better fit this coming season. Rafferty is an option, but ideally we would have a defensive guy on that right side to replace the role Tanev played. I want to see Schmidt be left to play a strong offensive-minded role.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I'm with you on that. Benn didn't show as I expected and we have no reason to believe he will be a better fit this coming season. Rafferty is an option, but ideally we would have a defensive guy on that right side to replace the role Tanev played. I want to see Schmidt be left to play a strong offensive-minded role.

benn played his best in his limited time in the playoffs. hopefully that carries over to the upcoming season. he'll be a part of the 10-16 million salary exodus at the end of the season

31 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Perhaps Juolevi, Brisebois or Rafferty gains some momentum and Benn becomes kind of what Schenn was to Hughes briefly...

I don’t think Benning is going into the season with Benn in the top 6 and I doubt he is comfortable having two rookies on the bottom pair.

My guess is he finds a way to squeeze in another D before the offseason is over. One of Hamonic, Koekoek, Vatanen, Hainsey, or Engelland

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think Benning is going into the season with Benn in the top 6 and I doubt he is comfortable having two rookies on the bottom pair.

My guess is he finds a way to squeeze in another D before the offseason is over. One of Hamonic, Koekoek, Vatanen, Hainsey, or Engelland

Harmonic AND. Hainsey

That would be a stacked defence.

HUGHES - MYERS

EDLER - SCHMIDT

HARMONIC - HAINSEY

HOLTBY

DEMKO

Roussel or Sutter traded with incentive?

46 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Harmonic AND. Hainsey

That would be a stacked defence.

HUGHES - MYERS

EDLER - SCHMIDT

HARMONIC - HAINSEY

HOLTBY

DEMKO

Roussel or Sutter traded with incentive?

I wouldn't want to shelf OJ. He needs do jump in feet first.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I wouldn't want to shelf OJ. He needs do jump in feet first.

OJ is gonna get regular minutes unless for some reason he trends downwards. We have waited this long. I don’t see him outside the top 6. Which I’m super excited about.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

I have a plan............

Let's maybe sign Tryamkin for our RHD 

He is playing great in the K

I don't know, do we need a super huge, fast skating, huge hitting, shot blocking defenseman?

Don't believe he has an NHL out clause. When his season's over? Absolutely.

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Don't believe he has an NHL out clause. When his season's over? Absolutely.

Totally agree~!

But back to the thread........

I have always love Brisebois's development

Here is our LHD depth list, with no Edler or Benn

Hughes >>>>>>>>>>Schmidt

Schmidt >>>>>>>>> Myers

Juolevi <<<<<<<<<<Tryamkin

Rathbone                   Rafferty

Brisebois                    Woo

So for now we need to have Schmidt play RHD, but when you look at the void Edler creates, we sure need to sign Tryamkin and have 1 or 2 of Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo and Brisebois, step up and develop.............(Fingers crossed)

30 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Totally agree~!

But back to the thread........

I have always love Brisebois's development

Here is our LHD depth list, with no Edler or Benn

Hughes >>>>>>>>>>Schmidt

Schmidt >>>>>>>>> Myers

Juolevi <<<<<<<<<<Tryamkin

Rathbone                   Rafferty

Brisebois                    Woo

So for now we need to have Schmidt play RHD, but when you look at the void Edler creates, we sure need to sign Tryamkin and have 1 or 2 of Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo and Brisebois, step up and develop.............(Fingers crossed)

if we get really lucky we might be able to add Viktor Person to that RHD depth list in a year or two, which might move Woo up the list and move NS oner to the left side. But with Nate it doesn't seem to be an issue what side he plays.

Breezy is a kid who showed leadership qualities early (C of his Q team at 17!) and has made slow but steady progress. I'd be very happy if he ended up on the roster as a 7/8 guy next year. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if we get really lucky we might be able to add Viktor Person to that RHD depth list in a year or two, which might move Woo up the list and move NS oner to the left side. But with Nate it doesn't seem to be an issue what side he plays.

Breezy is a kid who showed leadership qualities early (C of his Q team at 17!) and has made slow but steady progress. I'd be very happy if he ended up on the roster as a 7/8 guy next year. 

Persson looks to be an awesome pick because he's made his world juniors national team.

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/11/01/3-vancouver-canucks-prospects-preparing-u20-tournament-finland-week/

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1