The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2020-21

canuck2xtreme

47 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Again, incorrect based on the rules and spirit of this league. 

You're certainly not dumb. You're a solid GM. You're just not coming to grips with the logic of why two starting goalies is an unfair advantage. 

Let me give you another example, would you think it's fair if I had Crosby, McDavid, Mackinnon and Matthews as my 4 centers? It's an exaggerated example, but do you not see the logic?

I’m saying I disagree with that rule, I do not think it is an unfair advantage. The league thinks it is, and so do you, I just disagree. But it isn’t a fact of life that having two starting goalies is an unfair advantage. 

If Crosby is your 4th line centre then that is an obvious situation where the player would request a trade. But I don’t think that it would be an unfair advantage for

you to have that, you just did a better job of allocating your cap space to 20-23 players than me. The reasoning for the trade request would be because the player is unhappy with his role-which I think should only happen in extreme situations like that would be-not because it’s an unfair advantage. 

I think we all agree on the outcome, just for different reasons. 

57 minutes ago, Tony Romo said:

I’m saying I disagree with that rule, I do not think it is an unfair advantage. The league thinks it is, and so do you, I just disagree. But it isn’t a fact of life that having two starting goalies is an unfair advantage. 

If Crosby is your 4th line centre then that is an obvious situation where the player would request a trade. But I don’t think that it would be an unfair advantage for you to have that, you just did a better job of allocating your cap space to 20-23 players than me. The reasoning for the trade request would be because the player is unhappy with his role-which I think should only happen in extreme situations like that would be-not because it’s an unfair advantage. 

I think we all agree on the outcome, just for different reasons. 

What's the difference between having Crosby as my 4th line center and Vasilevskiy as my backup? Might as well throw the 'unhappy' player scheme out the window. As a GM I'll tell the player that I was able to fit their cap onto the team, so they should just shut up and play wherever they're told to play. 

The whole reason a player would say they're unhappy is because they're being buried in a position that doesn't befit their performance. Hence, a starter shouldn't be a backup.  The whole 'happiness' meter, is to maintain parity as well. 

Edited by Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

What's the difference between having Crosby as my 4th line center and Vasilevskiy as my backup?

I have said a couple pages ago that would be another obvious case where he would ask for a trade, but again that is because the player would want out because he is a star player who wants to start, not because it is unfair. 

Just now, Tony Romo said:

I have said a couple pages ago that would be another obvious case where he would ask for a trade, but again that is because the player would want out because he is a star player who wants to start, not because it is unfair. 

Where do you think this idea of player 'happiness' came from?

Why do you think it's part of our league?

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Where do you think this idea of player 'happiness' came from?

Why do you think it's part of our league?

I mean, I truly believe that it should be allowed, I was just conceding the Crosby on the 4th line and Vasilevski as a back up part to not distract from my larger my point. 

5 minutes ago, Tony Romo said:

I mean, I truly believe that it should be allowed, I was just conceding the Crosby on the 4th line and Vasilevski as a back up part to not distract from my larger my point. 

Either Crosby can be on the 4th line and Vasilevskiy can be a backup or your larger point is invalid, since your larger point is contrary to your aforementioned concession. You can’t have it both ways my friend. 

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Either Crosby can be on the 4th line and Vasilevskiy can be a backup or your larger point is invalid, since your larger point is contrary to your aforementioned concession. You can’t have it both ways my friend. 

Alright if we are hung up on if Crosby can be on the 4th line I think he can hahah

• Cheers 1

Hahahah that’s why I didn’t want to say it, it distracted from my larger point. 

anyways good talk everyone, all good intentions on my part, and I believe the league has the right intentions too. 

I knew I wasn’t going to change anything, i also don’t think there is much to change, I just enjoy a good theoretical debate, so looking forward to the next one!

Edited by Tony Romo
  • Cheers 1

I think some of us are getting hung up on this, yes @Tony Romo having two starters while fitting under the cap is achievable BUT it is not realistic in 90% of scenarios.

Be it a rule or not is not the point, the CDCGML works to emulate real life to a degree. In real life Vasilevskey and Binnington would be very problematic. 5 years ago Ryan Miller and John Gibson would be a no no. 

There is context in everything, Lundqvistcareer star starting goaltender signs in Washington as Samsonov poised to be starter.  Ok that scenario works.

Bishop and Khudobin kind of 1a/1b last season, Bishop the traditional starter can't stay healthy and Khudobin gets more games gets hot and continues the same scenario this year. Ok fair enough.

In GML there can be context behind each team scenario, subjective it may seem or gray areas sure but if something is glaring it gets addressed. You or I may not like getting a letter, but its not a personal attack and would mean multi members have discussed a constructive approach.

Remember as a game let's have fun but lets not struggle to understand this is a simulator trying to maintain realism. So again yeah maybe you can fit three franchise centers under the cap but its not realistic 99% of the time.

heres the CBA:

2.1 – What To Do

The name of the game is simple. Build a Stanley Cup winner. As it is a fantasy game, it will be points driven, but like real life, having the most dynamic scorers doesn't mean you'll win. Players will accumulate points throughout the season, and the top 8 teams in each Conference will make the playoffs. Divisions are shown on the map below, and the top team in each division will be seeded first through third, just like the NHL.

2.2 – What Not To Do

Obviously, somebody has to come in last. But that doesn't mean it has to be for lack of trying. Like in the real NHL, a good General Manager is always looking for ways to improve their team. Inactivity might pay off if you're ahead in the standings, or have a good reason to wait. Maybe you're hoping the team will pull out of its slump. Maybe you have key injuries. Any number of things could result in a wait and see approach, and team owners would surely understand. But be careful, if your team is slumping for long periods, and you as GM aren't doing anything to improve the teams fortunes, you may find yourself on the hot seat with the guys upstairs. Spend too long there without some sort of attempt (even failed ones) at improving your team, and the GM might end up getting fired.

Also, remember that a good GM keeps his players competitive, but content. Players that aren't happy with their role on your team (like a 50 goal scorer on the third line, a 18-20 minute defenceman on the bottom pairing, or having two starting goaltenders competing for playing time) may end up asking for a trade. If they aren't dealt within an acceptable period of time (dependent on the player and situation) they may refuse to play until they are moved. Make sure you keep your players happy. Teams will be notified of any potential issues in their Roster Review PM and have the chance to respond to player concerns there. If an issue regarding player happiness is brought up, address the issue, don't make excuses. Each team is reviewed on a regular basis and subject to the same standard as every other team

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Romo said:

Hahahah that’s why I didn’t want to say it, it distracted from my larger point. 

anyways good talk everyone, all good intentions on my part, and I believe the league has the right intentions too. 

I knew I wasn’t going to change anything, i also don’t think there is much to change, I just enjoy a good theoretical debate, so looking forward to the next one!

Call it like you see it. I fully respect that. 

I wish for you to have such incredible success, that we need to debate these things for your team one day :metal:

• Cheers 2

The Florida Panthers organization has shifted its strategy to a rebuild and we have spoken to all our players and they are aware of the circumstance. Our goal is to take care of our existing players so they may have an opportunity to win a championship.

The following players are available:

Charlie Coyle

Brian Dumoulin 

Nick Jensen

Leo Komarov

Cal Clutterbuck

Martin Jones

Thank you for your consideration,

Ty Webb

General Manager

Florida Panthers

Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na

Edited by Ty Webb
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ty Webb said:

The Florida Panthers organization has shifted its strategy to a rebuild and we have spoken to all our players and they are aware of the circumstance. Our goal is to take care of our existing players so they may have an opportunity to win a championship.

The following players are available:

Charlie Coyle

Wayne Simmonds

Brian Dumoulin 

Nick Jensen

Victor Mete

Leo Komarov

Cal Clutterbuck

Mike Smith

Martin Jones

Thank you for your consideration,

Ty Webb

General Manager

Florida Panthers

Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na

Pastrnak and Karlsson no longer being on that list is frightening, combined with the fact that Detroit mentioned they've made a franchise biggest trade.

• Haha 2