The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

CBA REVISION

ATTENTION ALL GMs: Collective Agreement Article 6 Section 2: Draft Lottery Guidelines has been .  Changes made are in bold.

Whats a " Draft Lottery " and do I have to have picks to play that game ? :wacko: and what is a pick ? Really....

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Whats a " Draft Lottery " and do I have to have picks to play that game ? :wacko: and what is a pick ? Really....

It is the rebuild plan that such storied franchises as Pittsburgh and Edmonton and Toronto used to trick their fans into believing the front office were super geniuses. (edit: the NHL teams...to be clear, lol)

Edited by Primal Optimist

I totally understand the leagues desire to create parity in the league. I think that rule changes that force all teams to ice competent rosters could create a more competitive and realistic league. I can assure you that I love seeing bottom tier teams hire active GM's who ice competitive rosters as much as anyone. With that being said making a rule change of this magnitude mid season is TOTAL BUSH LEAGUE in my honest opinion.

I know I just acquired a lottery pick so my opinion may seem like it is coming from a bias place but that is surely not the case. When I suggested changes to the scoring system I made it quite clear and it seemed to be fairly agreed upon that teams would need time to adjust and mold their teams appropriately according to the teams in the league.

This must just be a total shot to the gut to teams like Vegas, NYR, Minnesota, Carolina etc who are all active members that have strategically rebuilt their teams to give them a strong chance at a very high end prospect this season. For these organizations that are most dependant on their lottery picks as one of their most valuable assets to build around this new rule implemented at this particular time is blatantly unfair in my personal opinion.

I hate being in this position where I feel like I'm disrespecting our valued team of executives who contribute so much to this league year after year but I also feel as though it is my responsibility as a long tenured GM to speak up and have these discussions because our depth of membership and commitment and patience from the bottom as well as the top is part of what makes this league so great.

Once again, this is not me saying that this rule couldn't benefit the league if implemented for the 2022 draft. I see the benefits. However the timing of this for the teams that have structured their organizations, depth charts, salary terms, etc based on the potential talent that is available at the top of the draft compared to say 10 - 14 overall is unjust; once again in my personal opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3
9 minutes ago, da.moose said:

With that being said making a rule change of this magnitude mid season is TOTAL BUSH LEAGUE in my honest opinion.

Jack Black Yes GIF

1 minute ago, da.moose said:

I totally understand the leagues desire to create parity in the league. I think that rule changes that force all teams to ice competent rosters could create a more competitive and realistic league. I can assure you that I love seeing bottom tier teams hire active GM's who ice competitive rosters as much as anyone. With that being said making a rule change of this magnitude mid season is TOTAL BUSH LEAGUE in my honest opinion.

I know I just acquired a lottery pick so my opinion may seem like it is coming from a bias place but that is surely not the case. When I suggested changes to the scoring system I made it quite clear and it seemed to be fairly agreed upon that teams would need time to adjust and mold their teams appropriately according to the teams in the league.

This must just be a total shot to the gut to teams like Vegas, NYR, Minnesota, Carolina etc who are all active members that have strategically rebuilt their teams to give them a strong chance at a very high end prospect this season. For these organizations that are most dependant on their lottery picks as one of their most valuable assets to build around this new rule implemented at this particular time is blatantly unfair in my personal opinion.

I hate being in this position where I feel like I'm disrespecting our valued team of executives who contribute so much to this league year after year but I also feel as though it is my responsibility as a long tenured GM to speak up and have these discussions because our depth of membership and commitment and patience from the bottom as well as the top is part of what makes this league so great.

Once again, this is not me saying that this rule couldn't benefit the league if implemented for the 2022 draft. I see the benefits. However the timing of this for the teams that have structured their organizations, depth charts, salary terms, etc based on the potential talent that is available at the top of the draft compared to say 10 - 14 overall is unjust; once again in my personal opinion. 

I respect your opinion, what you bring to the table and your concerns.

Further your suggestions on a scoring system overhaul have brought much conversation to the subject. I feel an adjustment to scoring should not be implemented same year. Personally I dont see how the scoring parameters suggested could be tracked efficiently without being an option on pickup but then again CDCPUCK has another format they use what? Fantrax?.

Regardless with the increased frankly indifferent moves by some clubs of late to offload their rosters well for me that happening midseason is with the trend in the air and thus far being condoned is a clear example of why for me there needed to be an adjustment.

In the NHL you must ice 18 skaters a game, you are allowed a 23 man active roster. There is ZERO reason unless injuries coupled with covid that a team has far less. Allowing that attitude to continue and gain momentum is a major detriment to the standard and expectation let alone a clear violation if the CBA.

Would the ownership of the Toronto Maple leafs stand for a half roster of NHLers ? Minnesota? 20 draft picks every year and seemingly no interest in icing an NHL squad. Florida a traditional contender dropping NHLers off the team for futures.

I would argue it would be bush league to continue the status quo. 

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

That comment was made by a GM that just traded for a potential lottery pick, I feel the frustration.

I meant that GIF as im in agreement. My lotto pick just got tossed in the trash. Im 100% for this if your were to start it next season, but to put it in effect this year is a major slap in the face for us teams thats got a potential lottery pick.

I feel like my moves being made to better a team I recently took over is a major reason for this, and it honestly dont sit well with me at all. Wasn't going to bring it up, but its out there now lol

Im not being sour/salty just voicing my opinion/frustration

2 minutes ago, Crabby said:

I meant that GIF as im in agreement. My lotto pick just got tossed in the trash. Im 100% for this if your were to start it next season, but to put it in effect this year is a major slap in the face for us teams thats got a potential lottery pick.

I feel like my moves being made to better a team I recently took over is a major reason for this, and it honestly dont sit well with me at all. Wasn't going to bring it up, but its out there now lol

Im not being sour/salty just voicing my opinion/frustration

I understand the frustration. This is why I tell teams " dont draft just sign guys come to the dark side " but they just laugh.

You are allowed to be sour salty sweet? Nutty even mad sure but respectful right. Nobody wants a silent membership.

• Hydration 2

All im gunna say is im not looking to never ice an NHL team. It made more than enough sense to shop Crosby etc when I did because I was far from a playoffs spot. Im not looking to be rebuilding for next 10 years. I want to co tend in a couple years and stay that way, and ive voiced that multiple times. I HATE LOSING lol

19 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Further your suggestions on a scoring system overhaul have brought much conversation to the subject. I feel an adjustment to scoring should not be implemented same year. Personally I dont see how the scoring parameters suggested could be tracked efficiently without being an option on pickup but then again CDCPUCK has another format they use what? Fantrax?.

If Pickup doesn't offer hits and blocks, and the league decides at some point to add them, I can get you hooked up ;)

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

While I am in agreement with the new rule change, I do agree that it probably should be done for the next draft.

Or somehow for this season maybe split the phase 1 portion, so the bottom 7 teams are in a seperate lottery, so they still have a chance at a high pick for what they've done this season.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

While I am in agreement with the new rule change, I do agree that it probably should be done for the next draft.

Or somehow for this season maybe split the phase 1 portion, so the bottom 7 teams are in a seperate lottery, so they still have a chance at a high pick for what they've done this season.

I keep getting this feeling that we are rewarding the wrong end of the spectrum.

Division titles, player awards, playoff appearances, winning playoff rounds, conference titles, championships........thats supposed to be the goal here haha.

But I like the suggestion of compromise for those taken completely off guard.

While this is monumental news I'd just like to reiterate that the following players are available out of Buffalo:

Joe Thornton 

Jake Muzzin

Jesper Fast

Cam Talbot

Come beef up your lil squads for the playoffs.

PLEASE GIVE ME AN OFFER IF YOU ASK WHAT I WANT I WILL JUST SAY YOUR BEST PROSPECT. 

• Hydration 2
7 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I keep getting this feeling that we are rewarding the wrong end of the spectrum.

Division titles, player awards, playoff appearances, winning playoff rounds, conference titles, championships........thats supposed to be the goal here haha.

But I like the suggestion of compromise for those taken completely off guard.

Yeah I don't think the full tank mode should be rewarded and with more competitive teams, it'll be more challenging for teams to load up which should minimize the issue of teams having too many "top 6 forwards", etc.

But I definitely think that it's a bit harsh to have this thrown in mid-season. I think the bottom teams would much prefer a compromise (although I'm sure they prefer no changes at all) and at least guarantee a top 10 pick (if somehow all the teams outside the bottom 7 won the real lottery). So it still has a similar effect that the bottom team could drop to the "7" spot, but at least get a top end pick still. Then next season, everyone knows the rules, no excuses.

I have no horse in this race, but I'm more concerned about the potential for a very good team that finishes a point outside the playoffs now having an equal shot at #1. So rather than ask for it to come in for the 2021/22 season, can I ask for it to just never happen? :lol:

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

But I definitely think that it's a bit harsh to have this thrown in mid-season. I think the bottom teams would much prefer a compromise (although I'm sure they prefer no changes at all) and at least guarantee a top 10 pick (if somehow all the teams outside the bottom 7 won the real lottery). So it still has a similar effect that the bottom team could drop to the "7" spot, but at least get a top end pick still. Then next season, everyone knows the rules, no excuses.

I have absolutely 0 issue at all with the rule, and honestly I love it. However its a major rule change implemented immedietly that completely screws me. 

Fox wont resign

My chance my top 5 pick drops dramatically.

(Fox replacement/Possible help for Fox) 

I have not been moving everyone for picks. I have traded for numerous almost full time young guys because I want to compete soon and not wait 5+ years for 100 picks to develop. There are a couple teams that do seem to love drafting more than competing and I can see how that is a huge problem

Ive also signed guys like Beagle, Chara, Howard, Weber, etc in hopes to try and atleast ice an NHL roster. My team fell horribly after a surprising start, so yeah, I moved vets for futures. Thats just smart GMing imo. 

However doing so made it impossible for me to sign a key cornerstone guy in Fox, and now basically being forced to move my #1 Dman, and having my top pick most likely turned into a mid round pick makes it very hard and frustrating for someone who has worked the phones EXTREMELY HARD to have a QUICK REBUILD done. Its really frustrating for me and im sure many others.

Imma still stick it out and have fun either way, but I really believe yall need to make this start next year  and give us an offseason to prepare for it. Its really a huge slap in the face to have a rule lile this implemented immedietly and completely screws so many GMs over. Ive done nothing but try and better this team. Idc about drafting 1st OA every year. TBH drafting #32 would be a hell of a lot cooler B)

Anyway thats my 3rd and final rant on the subject, but honestly the idea to make it immediate is even worse than the way the Canucks are playing this year

Seriously! :bigblush:

Edited by Crabby
  • Huggy Bear 1
Just now, Crabby said:

1 more thing. Its bad and frustrating enough for me. Imagine being @da.mooseWho just traded value for a pick thats value just dropped harder than GNUS did for me last year :lol:

My team's fine Crabby. It's the teams that are in true need of top end young talent that are suffering here.

• Like 1