The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2020-21

canuck2xtreme

6 hours ago, Crabby said:

Naw not at all. Chances are ill be here next year and thats fair, because I have a whole offseason to make moves to adjust for it. This is just a big "$#@% You" to us teams on the bottom right now.

Fire me if you think im doing a bad job as GM, dont make a rule change this big mid way through the season just to screw teams that tanked/made smart trades because playoff hopes diminished. 

The rule is dumb too and if it is used I give it 5 years b4 its regretted. Imaging @Mike Vanderhoekbarely misses playoffs for 1st time in years if not ever, and he gets a McDavid esque player? Like come one. How am I the only one to see how bad this rule is

So many better options imo...

Minimum point threshold - Lose 1st if you dont meet it (best option imo)

Cant win a top 3 pick in consecutive years.

Cap penalty for finishing so low 3+ years

Their just ideas off the top of my head.. I think this rule needs to be thrown out and there needs to be a league discussion/vote on how to fix it. Stacking good teams isnt the answer. Punishing hardcore tankers is. I dont see how this rule does that

I am 90% likely to never draft again haha, that number grows each year.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Crabby said:

How do you expect me to do this without tearing it down first?

Its easier to make the right moves to improve your team when your a clear contender, and judging from the archives idk if you've had a bottom feeding team to work with before :rolleyes:

When you cam on board you had a strong team, you also drafted the number 1 player last draft and added Crosby. You were on your way.

But I'd have to stop you on that second part. Actually it gets harder year after year to try and add or stay relevant. I spend an immense amount of futures to remain competitive and most of the time add veterans to my club. An 11 year window has to break at some point.  But its an increasingly challenging thing to do.

Some teams don't even reply to or negotiate with me anymore in terms of trades, and most trades I do complete involve an overpayment.

I never started as a bottom feeder, when I was invited to join I bought like 4 hockey forecaster type magazines and matched the scoring system to probably 90% of league players then figured out who to target. Spent a week or so going overkill haha.

I just chose not to look back, game is played to win, I wanted to compete and even if just incrementally a trade upgraded my club i kept doing it. I know the draft and so many other faucets of the game are important I just try and utilize the tools at my disposal to build my team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

When you cam on board you had a strong team, you also drafted the number 1 player last draft and added Crosby. You were on your way.

I was on my way to where exactly though? Byfield didnt make team, Lefreniere has been brutal to say the least. Crosby would be gone or on his last legs when my young guns progress, and I felt the need to get value for him when I could. I held onto him until my playoff hopes were basically gone (maybe not mathematically). Letting Vanecek go wasn't ideal for me. You can ask @Canuck Surfer I was very reluctant to let him go, but it was the cost of getting Askarov so I decided to do it

I will be in the market for a true #1 to get me by until Askarov and/or Ingram make it, and feel I will be atleast contending for a playoff spot next year. Just really sucks to lose hope of an almost guarentee top 7 pick where it was looking like id have a very good shot at my desired Dman target to pair with Fox and Boqvist. It is what it is, but it just sucks from my stand point. Like really bad. Ok ill stop :P

The Crosby situation seems like a trap I couldn't not get caught in. I couldn't say no to that offer, I was taking over a team and wasn't 100% sure of direction I wanted to go. If my young guys played better Crosby very well may have still been a Leaf. I understand the need to eliminate the big time tankers, but at times a team needs to rebuild, and some have different ways of doing it. I understand where yall are coming from with the rule and im on board 100%, but feels kindy (in the nicest way possible) greasy. However my opinion is bias because of the position im in, so I just sound like an angry tanker that wants his #1 pick :lol:

Edited by Crabby

10 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

This, it is mind blowing how there is an uproar about not being rewarded for having a poorly performing club, mind blowing. 

Changes affect the market, don't they Mike?

People made trades receiving and sending 1sts based on their anticipated worth. Which is suddenly different. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Changes affect the market, don't they Mike?

People made trades receiving and sending 1sts based on their anticipated worth. Which is suddenly different. 

Other than a couple posters here trying to warn everyone the sky is falling I've noticed no difference in the trade discussions I've been having.

In the NHL, the draft lottery has existed for 25 years. 

The draft lottery was the NHL’s first attempt at an anti-tanking clause. The NHL absolutely does have rules to prevent tanking.

The draft lottery odds were further shaken-up about a decade ago, to further randomize the odds (let’s call this the EDM clause)... a deeper cut at teams that would be tempted to tank.  

We are even more opposed to tanking than the NHL, it has always been a paramount and foundational rule in the league, so we are taking it further. 

Draft picks are not set assets, and we’ve all tried deal and trade for lottery picks at some point. Draft order has never been set before the draft lottery, so we’ve only ever traded on the odds, which are now reduced by a minimal percentage, particularly pointed and sharper for teams finishing last. 

In the NHL, in the 25+ years the draft lottery has existed, the last team in the league has only picked first overall 9 times (36%). Draft picks have never been fixed assets (not to mention that we will all be literally guessing at picks this year), this is all very dramatic for the incremental percentage change that just occurred :lol:.

If you were playing down to get a better pick, you didn’t read the CBA and aren’t familiar with how the league operates. This is the wake up call.

You still get a hamburger, yours just might not have cheese and bacon on it. 

Edited by greensman
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, greensman said:

In the NHL, the draft lottery has existed for 25 years. 

The draft lottery was the NHL’s first attempt at an anti-tanking clause. The NHL does do it.

The draft lottery odds were further shaken-up about a decade ago, to further randomize the odds... a deeper cut at teams that would be tempted to tank.  

We are even more opposed to tanking than the NHL, it has always been a paramount and foundational rule in the league, so we are taking it further. 

Draft picks are not set assets, and we’ve all tried deal and trade for lottery picks at some point. Draft order has never been set before the draft lottery, so we’ve only ever traded on the odds, which are now reduced by a minimal percentage, particularly pointed at teams finishing last. 

In the NHL, in the 25+ years the draft lottery has existed, the last team in the league has only picked first overall 9 times (36%). Draft picks have never been fixed assets, this is all very dramatic for the incremental percentage change that occurred :lol:.

If you were playing down to get a better pick, you didn’t read the CBA and aren’t familiar with how the league operates. This is the wake up call. 

You still get a hamburger, yours just might not have cheese and bacon on it.

you cant do that on television nicksplat GIF

What about onions? We get onions?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

MSG NEWS

Is it Spring Yet? Edition

Bold belong to current playoff clubs by NHL standings this morning.

Austin Czarnik, Cody Eakin, Victor Rask, Kyle Okposo, Braydon Coburn, Matt Benning, Filip Chlapik, Tim Soderlund, Thomas Novak, Dale Weise, Nick Henry, Filip Westerlund, Parker Wotherspoon, Emil Djuse, Mitch Eliot.

Having made substantial moves the last few days, The Rangers are re-posting our available players. Notably, Jujhar Khaira, Adam Erne and Connor Murphy have proven to be value players we will be hanging onto. NYR are still working the phones to try to find homes for these great players. Bold names are property of playoff seated teams in the current standings.

• Cheers 1

Movement:

- the Los Angeles Kings would like to waive Nick Holden for the purposes of sending him to the minors (if you have an empty D spot, Holden is currently on taxi squad, and will likely return this season at some point)

Activation:

- the Los Angeles Kings would like to activate Jusso Riikola from the LTIR

Edited by greensman
  • Cheers 1

MSG NEWS

Depth Chart Edition

With so much front office activity at the New York Rangers, we felt it was time to update our depth chart for the big club:

New York Rangers

Brady Tkachuk, Ryan O'Reilly, Jamie Benn

Rasmus Kupari, Victor Rask, Kyle Okposo

Nick Cousins, Jujhar Khaira, Adam Erne

Casey Mittelstadt, Cody Eakin, Adam Gaudette

Justin Bailey

Marco Scandella, Justin Faulk

Connor Murphy, Shayne Gostisbehere

Crhistopher Tanev, Matthew Benning

Scott Harrington, Urho Vaakanainen

Braden Holtby

Ilya Samsonov

Lake Cowichan Lakers

Michael Rasmussen, Liam Foudy, Dominik Bokk

Dmytro Timashov, Thomas Novak, Nicholas Henry

Brayden Burke, Tim Soderlund, Sampo Ranta

Austin Czarnik, Dale Weise

Carl Dahlstrom, Jesper Lindgren

Yegor Rykov, Braydon Coburn

Parker Wotherspoon, Mitch Eliot

Emil Djuse, Filip Westerlund

Joseph Woll

Kevin Mandolese

Edited by Primal Optimist

Crabby would like to announce his retirement from GML. Its been a fun few months and we wish everyone the best moving forward. We feel whatever GM takes over the Maple Leafs are set up for great success in the near future. 

Maple Leafs ex GM, Crabby

Cheers guys!

• Cheers 3
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Crabby would like to announce his retirement from GML. Its been a fun few months and we wish everyone the best moving forward. We feel whatever GM takes over the Maple Leafs are set up for great success in the near future. 

Cheers guys!

Retirement GIF by memecandy

Good luck on your future endeavours @Crabby!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Cheers guys!

Sorry to see you go, wish I saved my six hours yesterday in light of your decision this morning. ; p

• Haha 1