The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Reverse Retro Reveal Jersey

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

On 11/23/2020 at 11:40 PM, Baggins said:

The Orca crashing through the ice is an obscure hockey reference to the rinks ice surface. The Orca is really just a nod to the historical tie the Orca has with Vancouver and the unique resident pod of our coast. In a Haida style I think it's a great logo to represent where the team plays. They do hunt seals on ice flows and work as a team to do it....

Family Of Orcas Attack Lonely Seal | Untamed & Uncut - YouTube

Meh.  Still seems to stretch reality. Breaking through an ice rink?  I guess. I never did see it that way.

Interesting video. I don't think I've ever seen that footage of Orcas creating a wave to move a seal off of an iceberg.  Now that's a smart mascot!

Its a great theme for a BC sports team. Never understood the "corporate" logo argument.  It so happened that the name of the company, Orca Bay, also worked as a theme for a northwest hockey team. Especially when they incorporated a Haida art reference as well. Glass half full. 

But it is still an awkward design IMO. 

13 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Meh.  Still seems to stretch reality. Breaking through an ice rink?  I guess. I never did see it that way.

Interesting video. I don't think I've ever seen that footage of Orcas creating a wave to move a seal off of an iceberg.  Now that's a smart mascot!

Its a great theme for a BC sports team. Never understood the "corporate" logo argument.  It so happened that the name of the company, Orca Bay, also worked as a theme for a northwest hockey team. Especially when they incorporated a Haida art reference as well. Glass half full. 

But it is still an awkward design IMO. 

Does a logo actually need to represent reality? IE: A Penguin playing hockey. :lol:

I've said all along I don't expect everybody to love the Orca logo. Everybody has different taste. I'm an old timer and have been a fan since they joined the NHL. The Orca is honestly the first logo I've actually really liked. But I've always loved the connection of the Orca to Vancouver.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Haha, basically.

But the thing that bothers me most is that people always have to treat it like it's a competition. In one way or another, can't we just all agree that they're all good logos in their own right? You don't have to like it, but I don't get people like @Tiger-Heartedwho spend years on end bashing something because it's not their favourite. It's like people whose frontal cortices don't develop enough past a certain age, and everytime they don't get something they want, they throw a hussy fit.

Whatever. Not the end of the world, but it's unfortunate that there are people who act like this. We're tribal as a species, so in a way I understand - but over a damn logo? Come on...

Why don't you ask Buffalo Sabres fans about how they felt about the Banana Slug logo, the Sabres' version of the Canucks' Orca.

• Wat 1

So for the "it's a corporate logo" folks, what if the name of the parent company wasn't Orca anything?  Just another boring corporate name. McCaw Enterprises. 

Would you still hate the Orca logo?  Is it only because the owner used an NW animal that was also part of the name of the parent company that owned the Canucks? Just curious.

On the flip side. What if the company that bought the Canucks was......a meat snack company called Johnny Canuck's.   If they developed a Johnny Canuck logo, updated on  the one that already exists.  Would that be too corporate as well?

412hhNHPYUL._AC_SX342_.jpg

40 minutes ago, kilgore said:

So for the "it's a corporate logo" folks, what if the name of the parent company wasn't Orca anything?  Just another boring corporate name. McCaw Enterprises. 

Would you still hate the Orca logo?  Is it only because the owner used an NW animal that was also part of the name of the parent company that owned the Canucks? Just curious.

On the flip side. What if the company that bought the Canucks was......a meat snack company called Johnny Canuck's.   If they developed a Johnny Canuck logo, updated on  the one that already exists.  Would that be too corporate as well?

412hhNHPYUL._AC_SX342_.jpg

ORA AY SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT 

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Why don't you ask Buffalo Sabres fans about how they felt about the Banana Slug logo, the Sabres' version of the Canucks' Orca.

Apples and Oranges.  The Banana Slug lasted 4 years, the Orca has been around for 23 and counting... 

Edited by morgo
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, morgo said:

Apples and Oranges.  The Banana Slug lasted 4 years, the Orca has been around for 23 and counting... 

The Orca has long overstayed its welcome. Plus, the Sabres have hockey owners. The Canucks have real estate development owners who don't have a clue about hockey.

• Wat 3

36 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

There's no resemblance between the two at all. The biggest problem with the Buffaslug was in shooting for a more modern look they made the image barely recognizable as a buffalo (hence the slug nickname) with a very vague, or abstract, sabre within the image. Captain Highliner was better than that and lasted about as long. The Orca logo on the other hand is our longest standing logo. No comparison.

4 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The Orca has long overstayed its welcome. Plus, the Sabres have hockey owners. The Canucks have real estate development owners who don't have a clue about hockey.

Must... clutch... at... straws.....

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

You might as well pick another team honestly, you hate ownership, the logo and the jersey. None are changing and all you do is come on here and bitch about how they won't use that hideous lumberjack logo. (Rightfully so it is pee wee level awful) 

So why not just move on? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Right.

So be specific...who are you referring to in the Sabres organization.  I'd like you to name names.

• Cheers 2

Terry Pegula: Petroleum engineer
                       Real estate developer (cute)

Owns a share of Black River Entertainment, an independent country music label
                       Owns 716 Food and Sport, a two floor sports themed restaurant

One Buffalo branded craft beer 

Good thing this natural gas tycoon is so much more focused experienced passionate invested ? than our owners....LOCALS who grew up loving the team/sport.   :rolleyes:

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Good thing he's so much more focused than our owners....LOCALS who grew up loving the team/sport.

He's a veritable Mario Lemieux .  The success the Sabres enjoyed these past 10 years speaks for itself :lol:.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

Does a logo actually need to represent reality? IE: A Penguin playing hockey. :lol:

I've said all along I don't expect everybody to love the Orca logo. Everybody has different taste. I'm an old timer and have been a fan since they joined the NHL. The Orca is honestly the first logo I've actually really liked. But I've always loved the connection of the Orca to Vancouver.

And what exactly is the connection of orcas with Vancouver, our waters have an extremely small population and they’re more around Victoria. Google any whale sightseeing cruise in Vancouver and see where they go, quite far from Vancouver, often into US waters. I see absolutely no connection.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

And what exactly is the connection of orcas with Vancouver, our waters have an extremely small population and they’re more around Victoria. Google any whale sightseeing cruise in Vancouver and see where they go, quite far from Vancouver, often into US waters. I see absolutely no connect.

77E00C72-A6B9-4344-9C49-52380B0CC836.jpeg

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

77E00C72-A6B9-4344-9C49-52380B0CC836.jpeg

Wow a pic of two whales, I’m amazed at the effort you must have put in to finding that, I googled “orcas in Vancouver” and found that pretty much are for Vancouver Island but this find this: Orca pod makes rare appearance in Vancouver’s False Creek and in that article this: The aquarium said this is the first reported sighting of killer whales in False Creek since it began collecting data in 2000. A grey whale and common dolphins have been reported in the area in recent years, it said.

Nothing common about them in and around Vancouver but if you google where to go orca watching you get this:

From the icy waters of the Antarctic to the beaches of Patagonia – we uncover the best orca watching spots around the world...
  • Antarctica. Orca in Antarctica (Shutterstock) ... 
  • Peninsula Valdes, Argentina. ... 
  • Iceland. ... 
  • Norway. ... 
  • Bremer Bay, Australia. ... 
  • Alaska, USA. ... 
  • San Juan Island, USA. ... 
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Yup, we’re really known for orcas, if it wasn’t for the stupid company this never would have happened.

The Canucks need an identity and fat blubbery mammals that are more abundant in pretty much all other parts of the world and/or turn the other cheek pansies is not a good one.

Edited by debluvscanucks
Quit with the Fire Green spam and stay on topic
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

13 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

And what exactly is the connection of orcas with Vancouver, our waters have an extremely small population and they’re more around Victoria. Google any whale sightseeing cruise in Vancouver and see where they go, quite far from Vancouver, often into US waters. I see absolutely no connection.

Forget the fact they swim into Burrard inlet and there's a permanent pod off our coast, have you never heard of Moby Doll? He was harpooned to be used as a model for a full scale sculpture at the Vancouver Aquarium. Towed back to Vancouver still alive, he was kept in a makeshift pen in Burrard Inlet for months. What was learned in that brief time before his death led capturing an Orca uninjured for the aquarium to put on public display and further study. Meaning Orca research began here in Vancouver and what was discovered changed the world view of their nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Doll

There was even a book written about Moby Doll titled "The Killer Whale Who Changed The World"....

The first publicly exhibited captive killer whale—a story that forever changed the way we see orcas and sparked the movement to save them. Killer whales had always been seen as bloodthirsty sea monsters. That all changed when a young killer whale was captured off the west coast of North America and displayed to the public in 1964. Moby Doll—as the whale became known—was an instant celebrity, drawing twenty thousand visitors on the one and only day he was exhibited. He died within a few months, but his famous gentleness sparked a worldwide crusade that transformed how people understood and appreciated orcas. Because of Moby Doll, we stopped fearing "killers" and grew to love and respect "orcas."

https://greystonebooks.com/products/the-killer-whale-who-changed-the-world

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

14 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Wow a pic of two whales, I’m amazed at the effort you must have put in to finding that, I googled “orcas in Vancouver” and found that pretty much are for Vancouver Island but this find this: Orca pod makes rare appearance in Vancouver’s False Creek and in that article this: The aquarium said this is the first reported sighting of killer whales in False Creek since it began collecting data in 2000. A grey whale and common dolphins have been reported in the area in recent years, it said.

Nothing common about them in and around Vancouver but if you google where to go orca watching you get this:

From the icy waters of the Antarctic to the beaches of Patagonia – we uncover the best orca watching spots around the world...
  • Antarctica. Orca in Antarctica (Shutterstock) ... 
  • Peninsula Valdes, Argentina. ... 
  • Iceland. ... 
  • Norway. ... 
  • Bremer Bay, Australia. ... 
  • Alaska, USA. ... 
  • San Juan Island, USA. ... 
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Yup, we’re really known for orcas, if it wasn’t for the stupid company this never would have happened.

The Canucks need an identity and fat blubbery mammals that are more abundant in pretty much all other parts of the world and/or turn the other cheek pansies is not a good one.

Try googling "resident Orca" and see what comes up.

Btw, You probably have the most appropriate user name on this board. :lol:

• Cheers 1