The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Reverse Retro Reveal Jersey

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Wow a pic of two whales, I’m amazed at the effort you must have put in to finding that, I googled “orcas in Vancouver” and found that pretty much are for Vancouver Island but this find this: Orca pod makes rare appearance in Vancouver’s False Creek and in that article this: The aquarium said this is the first reported sighting of killer whales in False Creek since it began collecting data in 2000. A grey whale and common dolphins have been reported in the area in recent years, it said.

Nothing common about them in and around Vancouver but if you google where to go orca watching you get this:

From the icy waters of the Antarctic to the beaches of Patagonia – we uncover the best orca watching spots around the world...
  • Antarctica. Orca in Antarctica (Shutterstock) ... 
  • Peninsula Valdes, Argentina. ... 
  • Iceland. ... 
  • Norway. ... 
  • Bremer Bay, Australia. ... 
  • Alaska, USA. ... 
  • San Juan Island, USA. ... 
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Yup, we’re really known for orcas, if it wasn’t for the stupid company this never would have happened.

The Canucks need an identity and fat blubbery mammals that are more abundant in pretty much all other parts of the world and/or turn the other cheek pansies is not a good one.

Here's your first hint:  if you have to "Google" to support your argument, it may not be as strong as you think.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Haha, basically.

But the thing that bothers me most is that people always have to treat it like it's a competition. In one way or another, can't we just all agree that they're all good logos in their own right? You don't have to like it, but I don't get people like @Tiger-Heartedwho spend years on end bashing something because it's not their favourite. It's like people whose frontal cortices don't develop enough past a certain age, and everytime they don't get something they want, they throw a hussy fit.

Whatever. Not the end of the world, but it's unfortunate that there are people who act like this. We're tribal as a species, so in a way I understand - but over a damn logo? Come on...

That guy... I’ve never seen him comment on an actual Canucks topic, just jersey topics.

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

I, too, Googled orcas in Vancouver.   You do know that the island is named "Vancouver" Island?  That people ferry across to see their team, the Canucks?   

image.png

People will have their preferences and you'll never get everyone to agree on something that personal taste factors into.  I love the orca....but my favourite is the skate logo.  LOVE that colour scheme but the blue green is also something I've grown fond of.

• Like 3

I took some time to look at the Sweater and think about it to come up with an opinion.  I find the colors and design is very striking.  I think it will really pop on TV.  Way better than the salmon colored one that the design was based on.  I like it and think I will get one before the season starts,  I just am not sure who's name and number to get. B) :towel::canucks::towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

I'd argue the goat head is the Sabres version of the orca. Both Logos Represent the city 

The orca has symbolized Vancouver for, how long now?? Since 2000? 1995??  Thanks to the ideological marketing of the local tourist industry and social activist artists of course.

The last place I saw an orca in Vancouver:

20190215_124112.jpg

1 minute ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The orca has symbolized Vancouver for, how long now?? Since 2000? 1995??  Thanks to the ideological marketing of the local tourist industry and social activist artists of course.

20190215_124112.jpg

The logo is going on 22 years almost half of the franchise's history, Orcas are always near the Orca region and Before you Bring up the There not always in Vancouver argument Remember This is BC's only active franchise in the big 4 sports leagues So it represents VANCOVUER island is well. Don't get me wrong its not my favorite logo we have used I prefer the Stick and rink but that being said the Orca does a way better job at representing the team and the city    

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's your first hint:  if you have to "Google" to support your argument, it may not be as strong as you think.

I can make stuff up but easier to prove a point when I can verify it’s actually true. If I did make it up you’d be googling to see if I was lying, no?

1 hour ago, CanucksCountry said:

The logo is going on 22 years almost half of the franchise's history, Orcas are always near the Orca region and Before you Bring up the There not always in Vancouver argument Remember This is BC's only active franchise in the big 4 sports leagues So it represents VANCOVUER island is well. Don't get me wrong its not my favorite logo we have used I prefer the Stick and rink but that being said the Orca does a way better job at representing the team and the city    

Not my orca.

I’ve lived here all my life and never considered the orca representative of Vancouver, ps the spirit bear is the official animal of BC.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I can make stuff up but easier to prove a point when I can verify it’s actually true. If I did make it up you’d be googling to see if I was lying, no?

You didn't prove anything through Google though.  

So may as well have been lying.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Not my orca.

I’ve lived here all my life and never considered the orca representative of Vancouver, ps the spirit bear is the official animal of BC.

Well there are people who've been here longer than you and I and I'll go on what they say (also per Google and I didn't even have to include the word "orca"):

image.png

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well there are people who've been here longer than you and I and I'll go on what they say (also per Google):

image.png

They carve pretty much every animal they’ve ever seen, each animal has a different meaning to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well there are people who've been here longer than you and I and I'll go on what they say (also per Google and I didn't even have to include the word "orca"):

image.png

Yes, there are fans who grew up with the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League Canucks. If you're referring to First Nations, the Canucks don't have anything to do with any particular demographic or two.

8 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

They carve pretty much every animal they’ve ever seen, each animal has a different meaning to them.

110% correct, thank you. The Grizzlies had a Haida-styled grizzly bear as a secondary logo holding a basketball above a basket as a secondary. That logo represented the Grizzlies' name as well as a genuine tribute to BC's Haida people, unlike the corporately-inspired Orca on the Canucks' brand.

vancouver_grizzlies_grande.jpg_1717.cf.jpg

Edited by Tiger-Hearted
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Try googling "resident Orca" and see what comes up.

Btw, You probably have the most appropriate user name on this board. :lol:

I learnt that orcas are found almost everywhere and Vancouver has one of the lowest populations of orcas and I learnt you must be brilliant, that shot at my user name, don’t know how you came up with that, sheer genius.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

43 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The Orca has been a part of Vancouver since Molly Doll was harpooned and dragged here in 1964. The captive Orca drew worldwide attention to Vancouver. Since then we've seen Orca paraphernalia, from ornaments to artwork to t-shirts to post cards all around the city. Meaning the Orca has (likely) been tied to this city since before you were born. After Molly Doll the Vancouver aquarium included Orca's for around 35 years up until 2001. So to say Orca symbolism starter around 2000 is utterly false. I was a kid when Molly Doll happened but it was such big news I remember it well. Not to mention all the family trips to Stanley Park and the aquarium.

Ignoring information doesn't change it or cause it to cease to exist.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1