The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Reverse Retro Reveal Jersey

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

3 minutes ago, morgo said:

@debluvscanucks How do you put posters on an "ignore" list?  'Tiger Hearted' and 'Dumb Nuck' (most fitting name ever) are the two most irritating people I've ever encountered on a message board, bar none...  And that's saying something.

Up in the top right by your name/avatar, click there on the little downward arrow to see the settings dropdown menu.  Select ignored users then type the names in and select what content you want to ignore (posts, mentions, etc.).  I use it often.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Up in the top right by your name/avatar, click there on the little downward arrow to see the settings dropdown menu.  Select ignored users then type the names in and select what content you want to ignore (posts, mentions, etc.).  I use it often.

What would be interesting to know is who is the misted ignored poster here and how many they have.

12 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Apart from the whale forming a C our logo has nothing to do with hockey or our team, every other NHL logo has a tie in to either the team or at minimum, hockey. Like I said, worst logo ever.

OMG that's:

Untrue

Overkill now...we get it, you hate it, move on

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So we have to do what other teams do?

You don't even know the history of Johnny Canuck....the adapted version came later.

image.png

Excuse me?? What you needed was more information from me. The PCHL Canucks, owned by Coley Hall, who won the rights to owning the hockey club was given the name suggestion, "Canucks" by his bookie because Johnny Canuck symbolized the brave Canadian Armed Forces during WWII and it would give the Canucks a patriotic image. The lumberjack version was chosen because BC's longstanding lumber industry helped build the City of Vancouver.

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Excuse me?? What you needed was more information from me. The PCHL Canucks, owned by Coley Hall, who won the rights to owning the hockey club was given the name suggestion, "Canucks" by his bookie because Johnny Canuck symbolized the brave Canadian Armed Forces during WWII and it would give the Canucks a patriotic image. The lumberjack version was chosen because BC's longstanding lumber industry helped build the City of Vancouver.

Where is the reference stating that?

Here's what I've found:

He first appeared in early political cartoons dating to 1869 where he was portrayed as a younger cousin of the United States' Uncle Sam and Britain's John Bull. Dressed as a habitant, farmer, logger, rancher or soldier, he was characterized as wholesome and simple-minded and was often depicted resisting the bullying of John Bull or Uncle Sam

• Cheers 1

Most polls I've seen have shown the people who hate the orca logo are in the minority anyway.

The orca's our logo hopefully for a long time to come. I hate the identity crisis we've had and I'm glad over half our history's now with 1 logo. I would say the same thing with the stick-in-rink if it were true (even though I much prefer the orca). I would say the same thing with the skate if it were true. I just want us to have an identity and I'm glad we're moving towards that the longer we keep the orca.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Forget the fact they swim into Burrard inlet and there's a permanent pod off our coast, have you never heard of Moby Doll? He was harpooned to be used as a model for a full scale sculpture at the Vancouver Aquarium. Towed back to Vancouver still alive, he was kept in a makeshift pen in Burrard Inlet for months. What was learned in that brief time before his death led capturing an Orca uninjured for the aquarium to put on public display and further study. Meaning Orca research began here in Vancouver and what was discovered changed the world view of their nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Doll

There was even a book written about Moby Doll titled "The Killer Whale Who Changed The World"....

The first publicly exhibited captive killer whale—a story that forever changed the way we see orcas and sparked the movement to save them. Killer whales had always been seen as bloodthirsty sea monsters. That all changed when a young killer whale was captured off the west coast of North America and displayed to the public in 1964. Moby Doll—as the whale became known—was an instant celebrity, drawing twenty thousand visitors on the one and only day he was exhibited. He died within a few months, but his famous gentleness sparked a worldwide crusade that transformed how people understood and appreciated orcas. Because of Moby Doll, we stopped fearing "killers" and grew to love and respect "orcas."

https://greystonebooks.com/products/the-killer-whale-who-changed-the-world

yes! those are the things i think about when i am watching petey

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I, too, Googled orcas in Vancouver.   You do know that the island is named "Vancouver" Island?  That people ferry across to see their team, the Canucks?   

image.png

People will have their preferences and you'll never get everyone to agree on something that personal taste factors into.  I love the orca....but my favourite is the skate logo.  LOVE that colour scheme but the blue green is also something I've grown fond of.

brilliant, rip someone for googling to support their argument and then google to support your argument

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So gone.

actually I’ll give that to you and rephrase it, Orca Bay is gone.

It doesn't change the relationship and history of the Orca with Vancouver or that it's a very good logo. Creating lame excuses to dislike it won't change anything. As with anything people either like it or they don't. It's our longest running primary logo so none of the lame excuses matters to those that like it. What it really comes down to is this - you didn't get what YOU wanted. Welcome to life. But as I said, no matter what the primary is there will be those that don't like it and didn't get what they want. Which is why changing the primary logo is completely pointless. You simply cannot please everybody. Particularly when you have the radically different logo history we do.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1