The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Reverse Retro Reveal Jersey

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I like the gradient concept as well. I am holding out hope for a yellow or orange Jersey but get the feeling blue and green will be preferred by the owners.

I get the current colours have been heavily invested in marketing-wise but going back to the old colours permanently seems like a wise choice financially considering they seem to be preferred here as well as everywhere else.

Meh, time to move on from the mediocre skate. As a retro/alternate it is fine. Full time though, hard pass. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I like the gradient concept as well. I am holding out hope for a yellow or orange Jersey but get the feeling blue and green will be preferred by the owners.

I get the current colours have been heavily invested in marketing-wise but going back to the old colours permanently seems like a wise choice financially considering they seem to be preferred here as well as everywhere else.

The Blue and Green are the old colors. Moving away from them in the first place was a mistake. The Black Red and Yellow was not heavily advocated until the 50th jerseys came out, people are just riding the hype train.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Meh, time to move on from the mediocre skate. As a retro/alternate it is fine. Full time though, hard pass. 

Time to move on from Orca Bay in my opinion, teams are going back to retro and the skate is nostalgic and bring back an era of Canucks hockey that was very exciting...and we are embarking on that again. Black skate jersey looks amazing and would be a great home jersey, introduce blackout hockey come playoff time or something along those lines.

The whale is just a horrible logo for my taste, but it has saved me a ton of $$$ seeing as I haven't bought 1 item with that silly logo on it!

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

10 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

The Blue and Green are the old colors. Moving away from them in the first place was a mistake. The Black Red and Yellow was not heavily advocated until the 50th jerseys came out, people are just riding the hype train.

The very day they switched from the skate jerseys to the orca when they introduced Messier, tons of people were immediately like wtf and complaining about it.

Yay, we switched to the Rangers colors!

Pretty much the only person smiling from ear to ear when Messier lifted his arms wearing the orca was Messier.

messier-canucks.jpg?w=400

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

Was just wondering how Vegas would have a retro.. went to their page to see what number they are rocking. 95. I might be more confused now haha

maybe has something to do with an old vegas hockey team from 1995? there was one called Las Vegas Thunder

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The very day they switched from the skate jerseys to the orca when they introduced Messier, tons of people were immediately like wtf and complaining about it.

Pretty much the only person smiling from ear to ear when Messier lifted his arms wearing the orca was Messier.

I'm born in '95 so when I see those jerseys I don't think of Messier or Keenan. I think of Nazzy, Bert, Mo, Jovo, Ruuttu, Sopel, etc. Thinking of the WCE era makes me more nostalgic than Christmas. The '01 gradient is still my favourite. That was my first jersey, and they were Koho - the best jerseys ever produced! :lol:

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm born in '95 so when I see those jerseys I don't think of Messier or Keenan. I think of Nazzy, Bert, Mo, Jovo, Ruuttu, Sopel, etc. Thinking of the WCE era makes me more nostalgic than Christmas. The '01 gradient is still my favourite. That was my first jersey, and they were Koho - the best jerseys ever produced! :lol:

Glad it's positive memories for you.  If you had been around back then...might be different.  The Canucks were barely removed from game 7 of the final and then they made a new jersey to usher in the new Messier era with the new captain.  It was off putting even before learning how bad Messier was going to be on the ice and in the locker room.

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Glad it's positive memories for you.  If you had been around back then...might be different.  The Canucks were barely removed from game 7 of the final and then they made a new jersey to usher in the new Messier era with the new captain.  It was off putting even before learning how bad Messier was going to be on the ice and in the locker room.

For sure. But admittedly, Burkie was able to get them out of that jam and what I first witnessed was what he was able to create. That team in '03 seriously could have won the cup. They had a bit of an arrogant swagger to them, and that was probably where they were at fault the most. I still can't believe they lost to Minnesota... I know the Wild scored a couple of freak goals in that game 7, but they should have finished them off in 5. They got too cocky though.

The WCE era was a funny one. They had a very exciting team and they were arguably championship calibre (I really think they were), but it was abrupt and didn't last long. I was a teen in '11 and was so blessed to have watched that team, but for me it all started in the early to mid 2000's.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

27 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

For sure. But admittedly, Burkie was able to get them out of that jam and what I first witnessed was what he was able to create. That team in '03 seriously could have won the cup. They had a bit of an arrogant swagger to them, and that was probably where they were at fault the most. I still can't believe they lost to Minnesota... I know the Wild scored a couple of freak goals in that game 7, but they should have finished them off in 5. They got too cocky though.

The WCE era was a funny one. They had a very exciting team and they were arguably championship calibre (I really think they were), but it was abrupt and didn't last long. I was a teen in '11 and was so blessed to have watched that team, but for me it all started in the early to mid 2000's.

The WCE teams were just a goalie away.  They had a deadly first line and good depth on D with Sopel and Malik, etc.

9 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

And this has what to do with blue and green exactly?

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I was responding to these words of yours.

"The Black Red and Yellow was not heavily advocated until the 50th jerseys came out, people are just riding the hype train."

It wasn't. I have to take your word for it when they originally switched, but that sounds like retconning the narrative to align with the future animosity towards Messier, but my understanding is that plenty of people were excited to have a "West Coast" look again. 

As for the past 30 years however, there hasn't been a widespread advocacy for going back to black red and yellow. There have generally been 4 camps. Orca people, skate people, Stick-In-Rink people and Johnny Canuck people. If we charitably assume it's an even distribution, that's approximately 3 quarters of the fanbase in favour of blue and green. The skate hype did not start again until this year when they brought it back for the anniversary. And a big factor in that as well is that culture is currently riding a wave of nostalgia towards the 90s, which is reflected in the uniforms being trotted out at the moment.

• Cheers 1

On 11/11/2020 at 12:40 AM, Bitter Melon said:

I get the blue\green was the original but the team has usually been linked to the flying V and skate. The stink in rink and the current colour was more of a hype-train IMO. 

Many people who are in my age group have way more and their best memories in the jerseys from 81-96 in all the variations during that time.

All the 50th jersey did was bring back what most of us see as the iconic version of Nucks unis.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I get the blue\green was the original but the team has usually been linked to the flying V and skate. The stink in rink and the current colour was more of a hype-train IMO. 

Many people who are in my age group have way more and their best memories in the jerseys from 81-96 in all the variations during that time.

All the 50th jersey did was bring back what most of us see as the iconic version of Nucks unis.

That's simply an age thing though. Of course people who grew up watching the Canucks in black and yellow are going to associate the team with that, but the same can be said for every look. The team has spent most of its history in blue and green by this point, so I don't think you're accurate in saying that's what most people associate the team with.