Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey guys take on Canucks off season moves

Rate this topic


Gassy Jack
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, spur1 said:

No doubt about that. However I think the Canucks will be at least top three. I just don’t buy into the mantra the press is pushing that the Canucks got worse and will take a step back. 

I agree, we may have got better. Just have to wait and see how the kids perform. 

 

38 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I doubt it. I think this is a myth.

maybe when Montreal gets to begin the 3rd period with a power play  4 or 5 games in a row you'll believe me 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Step back as we lost alot more than we gained, and our def hasn't changed much for the better ...goaltending about the same, but we did lose tyler who coulda been amazing for us and we didnt replace his possible goals....

 

Guess only time will tell once the new season starts and we see how good or bad we are with current roster , i dont blame JB for not improving us in the offseason, his hands were tied, due to the salary cap problems we have, and no teams want our problematic players unless u add some young prospect ..

  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, x00x said:

Step back as we lost alot more than we gained, and our def hasn't changed much for the better ...goaltending about the same, but we did lose tyler who coulda been amazing for us and we didnt replace his possible goals....

 

Guess only time will tell once the new season starts and we see how good or bad we are with current roster , i dont blame JB for not improving us in the offseason, his hands were tied, due to the salary cap problems we have, and no teams want our problematic players unless u add some young prospect ..

Disagree that TT was a big loss even though he would have been nice to keep as he may have been an addition. However he was only a replacement while Brock was injured. Tanev was replaced with Schmidt who may even be an upgrade. So what really did we lose?  Leivo would be lucky to make the lineup on a nightly basis. Tony was/is a third pairing small D who is replaceable with the youngsters. I will however miss the Tony meme as he was the spitting image of a late friend. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, spur1 said:

He tells it pretty much as it is. I don’t agree with his rating of how we will do against the other Canadian teams. 

I don't agree on that either. I think we would be top 3 in a Canadian division. 

 

Our young core will be another year stronger. Also don't underestimate the impact of Schmidtty, we score alot of our goals in transition off the rush and with him/Hughes on the ice for 45+ mins a game we will spend less time defending and alot more time attacking. 

 

I may be the minority here but IMO the other Canadian teams didn't improve all that much other than the bottom-feeding Senators who we should still feast on. 

 

Calgary - marginal improvement due to upgrade in goal. Defense is weaker with an aging Gio and losing Brodie. 

Edmonton - Improved depth and PP but still lack a goalie. 

Winnipeg - Added Stastny which is not an upgrade in any way. However, they always give us trouble for some reason. 

Toronto - Downgrade, They lost alot of speed and depth in Kapanen and Johnsson. 

Montreal - Lost Domi, if Anderson is as advertised they will be tough but i have my doubts. Weber is another year closer to retirement. 

Ottawa - Still a bottom feeder. 

 

I can see Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver fighting it out for the top 3 spots. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I don't agree on that either. I think we would be top 3 in a Canadian division. 

 

Our young core will be another year stronger. Also don't underestimate the impact of Schmidtty, we score alot of our goals in transition off the rush and with him/Hughes on the ice for 45+ mins a game we will spend less time defending and alot more time attacking. 

 

I may be the minority here but IMO the other Canadian teams didn't improve all that much other than the bottom-feeding Senators who we should still feast on. 

 

Calgary - marginal improvement due to upgrade in goal. Defense is weaker with an aging Gio and losing Brodie. 

Defense is definitely weaker, older and more prone to injury. With Tanev there, the Canucks will know how to exploit his weaknesses. Markstrom is a great goalie, but again, if there is any team that would know how to exploit him, its the Canucks. 

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Edmonton - Improved depth and PP but still lack a goalie. 

Edmonton has a couple of forwards that the defense will really have to manage, as will any team. That being said, their defense and goaltending are ripe for the picking.

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Winnipeg - Added Stastny which is not an upgrade in any way. However, they always give us trouble for some reason. 

The Canucks will need to figure this out, as the Jets seem to have the Canucks number. 

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Toronto - Downgrade, They lost alot of speed and depth in Kapanen and Johnsson. 

Gained a lot of heft though. They have an added level of grit, old grit mind you, that could pose some trouble. 

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Montreal - Lost Domi, if Anderson is as advertised they will be tough but i have my doubts. Weber is another year closer to retirement. 

As with the Leafs, the Canadiens will be a meaner team to play against. Still hoping that either Ferland makes a complete recovery or Benning acquires some more grit to manage a team like this. Weber has aged extremely well, so I don't see him being a breeze to deal with.

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Ottawa - Still a bottom feeder. 

A bottom feeder for sure, but a bottom feeder with a lot of muscle.

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I can see Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver fighting it out for the top 3 spots. 

I see Montreal in the mix over Edmonton. 

 

  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah this guy is usually pretty objective.  
 

As it stands, I don’t see how we really improve in net, but the drop off shouldn’t be much with Clark working with Holtby and Demko. I still see this as a position of strength, for sure.  I also think that the team hopefully learned a lot about team defence during the playoff run.  I’ve certainly never seen them play in their own zone with that kind of urgency before. 
 

Defensively, our top 4 looks stronger with a more experienced Hughes and a stud like Schmidt. We’ll miss Tanev’s calming influence but we’re a lot more high tempo with Schmidt.   I think Myers improves a bit as well (He’s got some more O to give) as he gains chemistry and the coaches get to know him.  That offsets any decline from Edler who is still a rock IMO.
 

I think the real wild cards here are Juolevi, Rafferty and Rathbone.  Benn is a vet to stabilize that 6-7 spot if needed... but a healthy Juolevi has that high 1st pedigree and had a great year on the pk, Rafferty is older as a college guy put up a ton of points in the AHL and Rathbone has the most hype out of the 3.  There’s a real chance to add something dynamic instead of the serviceable/stable Fantenburg / Stecher.  We could realistically have 3 pairs who can all transition the puck and add offence. 
 

Up front the top 6 will still produce, for sure. Pearson is the oldest guy at 28. I think Pettersson has league MVP-level talent and drive. Every year just gets him closer to that ceiling. Whether it’s Jake or another piece elevated to top 6 we’re going to score. Jake having a golden chance to play with Petey - if that doesn’t motivate him nothing will (and I’ve heard rumours he’s dialled in.) 

 

I think the bottom 6 has more intrigue than we’re giving them credit for.  Yes, Sutter, Beagle and Roussel feel a little stale... (Although I’m willing to hope Roussel can bounce back after a proper offseason rehabbing that knee injury.) but Gaudette, MacEwen, Motte and Hawryluk are all young enough and bring a ton of energy with some scoring pop.  Lind apparently is a pain to play against as well and could push. 
 

I kind of agree with the Hockey Guy that the serious reinforcements like Hoglander and Podkolzin are likely a year out.  That also gives the Canucks a year to see if Gaudette can handle 3C while Sutter’s contract runs out.  
 

I’m high on this season - we should hold our own in a very competitive Canadian conference.  We also have a pretty clear path to improve in the future at 3C either anointing Gaudette or replacing Sutter. Exciting time to be a Canucks fan. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think next year was a good/smart gamble by the team.   Lot's of ??? on the roster but its time to see if some of the young guys are ready to play.  And with a shortened season without fans in the seat, why not?  If they do well-awesome.  If they take a step back, theyll be in a better position the season after to improve the roster knowing what they have.

  • Cheers 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do enjoy hearing his breakdown and his chart board work in all of his videos. His two favorite teams are Boston and the Canucks but is very unbiased with all his videos. I hope it’s going to be addition by subtraction. Our D will again be a question mark as to how the young D will be able to show their long awaited time to shine. I think our forwards are just as good as last year and goaltending is a wash if Holtby listens to Ian Clark’s wisdom and bounces back into his OG capitals form. The only thing that bothers me about hockey guy is does he really need to have his fat cat mooning his arse in most videos?  

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...