The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks Jersey History Tournament (Round #2)

Rate this topic

Roberts

Vancouver Canucks Jersey History Tournament  

51 members have voted

1. 1. MATCHUP #1

• Original 1970's White Stick-in-rink
    • Early 1980's Black Flying V
  2. 2. MATCHUP #2

• Mid 1980's Black Orange-Flying-Skate
    • 1990's Black Flying Skate
  3. 3. MATCHUP #3

• 2000's White Red-Orca
    • 2000's Gradient Red-Orca Alternate
  4. 4. MATCHUP #4

• 2010's Modern Stick-in-rink
    • 2020's Inverted Modern Stick-in-rink
  5. 5. MATCHUP #5

• 2010's Orca With Wordmark
    • 2020's Orca Without Wordmark

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/06/2020 at 08:00 PM

MATCHUP #1: 1970's Original Stick-in-rink vs. Black Flying V

70s1.png.dfbeaebcee2a04bf66df5e30e2ce46fb.png VS. 80s2.jpg.1edd9a72ad1e0294bcef9d0a204e9044.jpg

MATCHUP #2: Mid 1980's Orange Skate vs. 1990's Red Skate

80s4.jpg.a2165784043827a5e69b7b6cb547af61.jpg VS. 90s2.jpg.a45fa3ffa9a5190305fc51547a061684.jpg

MATCHUP #3: 2000's White vs. 2000's Gradient Alternate

2000s2.jpg.07e2d69c768830e2ea89ac2f855356a1.jpg VS.  2000s3.thumb.jpg.5594c4c8d69967bc4117fad0014ac96d.jpg

MATCHUP #4: Modern Stick-in-rink vs. Modern Inverted Stick-in-rink

2010s3.jpg.2893939d18d1992965eed23b76d72415.jpg  VS. 2020s3.thumb.jpg.a61789ed05080e51eb03a3f1f9981733.jpg

MATCHUP #5: Wordmark vs. No Wordmark

2010s1.jpg.c87bcf07438e1234722ad518df3beabd.jpg VS. 2020s1.jpg.ce708a9048e016597a11f8d90dd5fc2c.jpg

• Vintage 3

33 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Biggest surprise of the first round imo was navy orca losing. Also expected the gradient skate to win.

I think the 90's skate is far superior, we'll see if the votes remain close.

Toughest matchup for me is the last one, where I'm choosing the wordmark.

i picked wordmark as well, it got hated on a lot, but the jersey just feels so empty without it to me. and when they play without the 50th anniversary patch its gonna become a lot more noticeable 

12 minutes ago, Roberts said:

i picked wordmark as well, it got hated on a lot, but the jersey just feels so empty without it to me. and when they play without the 50th anniversary patch its gonna become a lot more noticeable 

I feel the same way, although I may actually get more used to it once the 50th patch is gone.

Subtle things, but I like the collar and shoulder patches much more on the wordmark jersey. Not a fan of the half collar many teams are using now.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Biggest surprise of the first round imo was navy orca losing. Also expected the gradient skate to win.

I think the 90's skate is far superior, we'll see if the votes remain close.

Toughest matchup for me is the last one, where I'm choosing the wordmark.

I'm more fond of the white Orca because it's the home jersey Orca, personally, at least it was when I started watching.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm more fond of the white Orca because it's the home jersey Orca, personally, at least it was when I started watching.

That’s understandable.   Feel a lot of us are quite fond of the uniforms you grew up watching, regardless of what era they were from.    On another note the whites were home’s because at the time at least, the thinking was whomever went to the games they’d get to see the other teams most colourful versions, and for season ticket holders especially doing them a service given they get to see our dark ones every game anyways - and most fans get pretty used to them on TV too.    Not sure why the thinking changed on the that.   

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That’s understandable.   Feel a lot of us are quite fond of the uniforms you grew up watching, regardless of what era they were from.    On another note the whites were home’s because at the time at least, the thinking was whomever went to the games they’d get to see the other teams most colourful versions, and for season ticket holders especially doing them a service given they get to see our dark ones every game anyways - and most fans get pretty used to them on TV too.    Not sure why the thinking changed on the that.   

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yep.   There’s a reason behind the thinking.    Don’t get to games except when I see them out East these days (OTT/MTL),  they could wear pink ones and I’d be stoked.    For fans that don’t get to see them live much it wouldn’t matter if it’s their whites or blacks - but for those that do I’m sure they’d prefer to see other teams colourful ones more if they polled it.   Which I’m sure their marketing department’s did at the time which is why whites used to be our home uniforms. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   There’s a reason behind the thinking.    Don’t get to games except when I see them out East these days (OTT/MTL),  they could wear pink ones and I’d be stoked.    For fans that don’t get to see them live much it wouldn’t matter if it’s their whites or blacks - but for those that do I’m sure they’d prefer to see other teams colourful ones more if they polled it.   Which I’m sure their marketing department’s did at the time which is why whites used to be our home uniforms. 

Yeah, those were the days where not many games were on TV.  And the road jersey was like the guys putting on their war paint.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

White at home made sense when that was the only time you were going to be able to see the opposing teams jerseys. Now that everybody and their mother has an HD colour tv and every game is available at the click of a button, as far as I'm concerned dark jerseys should be the home jerseys. You're in your barn,  you should be wearing your colours.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, those were the days where not many games were on TV.  And the road jersey was like the guys putting on their war paint.

You bet.   We listened to way more games on radio then we saw on TV ... so much so we’d turn the volume off and listen to the radio sometimes because they did a better job ...(watching the maybe once a week one we could watch)...

Edited by IBatch

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   We listened to way more games on radio then we saw on TV ... so much so we’d turn the volume off and listen to the radio sometimes because they did a better job ...(watching the maybe once a week one we could watch)...

Hello to the pensioners, the blind...

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Master Mind said:

That's fair, I just usually think the dark jersey is more popular due to showcasing more of the team's colour.

usually true... but that blue colour was very... "meh", to me at least. current blues just pop off the TV and catch your attention. they look great. older navy ones didn't catch me at all, always loved the logo and the symbolism of it, but never was found on of those colours.

29 minutes ago, Laoag said:

usually true... but that blue colour was very... "meh", to me at least. current blues just pop off the TV and catch your attention. they look great. older navy ones didn't catch me at all, always loved the logo and the symbolism of it, but never was found on of those colours.

I too prefer more bold colours, and the current blue the Canucks use is much better than that navy.

But I still prefer the navy jersey compared to the white one, looks nicer with the logo. All personal preference of course.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 10:33 AM, Bitter Melon said:

White at home made sense when that was the only time you were going to be able to see the opposing teams jerseys. Now that everybody and their mother has an HD colour tv and every game is available at the click of a button, as far as I'm concerned dark jerseys should be the home jerseys. You're in your barn,  you should be wearing your colours.

That’s fair.  I’m really not that concerned about season ticket holders - I wish I had that luxury but the trade off is I don’t have to live there so can live with it.   Not that it isn’t a fabulous city because it truly is, just not much of a city person and prefer small town living, always have despite spending 2/3 of my life in cities.    This had to do with the skate uniforms, for sure the whites were easier to see on TV and live, players were recognizable from a distant at a glance, the only knock on the black ones (which are still the second greatest ones ever) is visibility.    

Also for those who weren’t around, weren’t informed, or who would be interested in a reminder - those uniforms were cutting edge and ahead of the curve by almost a decade.   The late 90’s  became a whirlwind of changes to 90% of all clubs, because some research data came out saying black was the most intimidating colour of all (like anyone needs a degree for that), and the Buffaloslug, Dallas black, pretty much anyone with a tiny bit of dark went full black at the time.   It wasn’t fun as a fan, green became so dark it was basically black if it wasn’t full black, and it seemed like most of the league was just copying our kick-ass colours.  Then of course Orca became a partner and things went south quickly.   At least we finally got those ones (current ... meh they are ok) right by going back to our roots.   But man did every single one of our guys look like bosses the few times we got to see them in them again.   Horvat was 10 times more awesome.   Myers wore it great.  Even LE looked like a winner. 

Edit: The Buffalo/Dallas final was by far the worst uniform class I’ve ever witnessed.   Who was who?  Who made who?  Hull was in the crease but are you sure it wasn’t Peca?  Surprised the players themselves even knew who to pass the puck too.   We OWN black.   We weren’t early adopters, we were the team to popularize it.   Those 80-90’s sweaters weren’t just part of our history - they were part of the NHL’s history.   Yes the V was tacky, but it was in a good way.  Snepsts and Butcher say hello and does Smyl and the original Broduer.   Both are iconic not just for us but for the entire league in general. Linden and Bure for sure levelled them up.  In hindsight no way would they ever be changed.   Because they were perfect. 

Edited by IBatch

On 11/5/2020 at 11:33 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Hello to the pensioners, the blind...

Well hey I’m not that old ... TG and I went to the same school a couple years apart.   Work out 3/5 times a week and still can mince up a heavy bag training Mauy Thai pretty good.   My Avatar is actually me ... well 25 or so years ago with my Dad in a restaurant in Mexico - it’s an inside joke because earlier that same day we caught two massive sail fish and did almost the exact same pose... I’m just a bored semi-retired hockey fan with too much time on my hands.   Maybe I will take a picture of that (with my kids help) and change it up to the original photo...

• Vintage 1