The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks lineup 2021 season

Rate this topic

Ms.Glitter

Surprised there ain't more conv/spec on the potential lineup/taxi squad..although of course there are so many variables to consider.

Taxi squad: Will we push some old vets to this no-man's land ? Is that more cap-complicated? Any posters feel they got a handle on this one?

Just skimmed the outline plan that the league has for this area. Guess the best question for Van now being, do we shuffle more older/younger players into this particular sideline?

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 10:19 AM, vannuck59 said:

Two trades first and a signing

Trade one Virtanen and Baertschi to Ottawa for  Gaborik  (put him on IR)

Trade two : Pearson to Vegas for Pacioretty (This gets Vegas under the cap)

Signing : J. Rutta Right D for $700,000

Miller        Pettersson   Boeser

Pacioretty     Horvat      Sutter  / Bailey / MacEwen

Ferland       Gaudette       Bailey  / Sutter       

Motte         Beagle         MacEwen / Sutter  

Hughes       Myers

Edler           Schmidt 

Juolevi          Rutta

Holtby 

Demko

Scratches: Hawryluk, Rafferty, Benn

Utica :Eriksson, Roussel

Cap works out.

If we could make room for Pacioretty it would be great, I'm just really disappointed that we couldn't re-sign Toffoli,  he was such a good fit with this group.

He was knocking his audition out of the ballpark, fantastic results, proved his worth. We should have made room for him.

I'm hopeful about Ferland rejoining the group, but it's all up in the air. I wonder if they would stream training camp live this year, that would be cool.

I would like to see the happenings there. 

• Vintage 1

On 12/24/2020 at 5:38 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Surprised there ain't more conv/spec on the potential lineup/taxi squad..although of course there are so many variables to consider.

Taxi squad: Will we push some old vets to this no-man's land ? Is that more cap-complicated? Any posters feel they got a handle on this one?

Just skimmed the outline plan that the league has for this area. Guess the best question for Van now being, do we shuffle more older/younger players into this particular sideline?

Some are saying this is a season to take stock and see if the young players can take a step.  I think Chatfield has a great chance to secure a D spot.

He was with the big club for a long time last year, acclimatizing to the pace at practice, becoming accustomed to the culture and systems.

I think he has an excellent chance to step up this year.  He is positionally sound and makes few mistakes.  Not much offense, but he skates very well, handles himself well all over the ice.  

I think Chatfield can play D at the big league level. I think he will make the team, but more likely the taxi squad

Rafferty may have improved over the off-season, but I don't think he has a quick enough first 2 steps, his edgework and defence are minor league level in my eyes, NHL forwards will most likely expose him.  He put up impressive AHL numbers but let's see what happens at camp.

Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Cheers 1

On 11/9/2020 at 11:24 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Could maybe even turn that 3rd line into a more offensive line if Ferland was healthy AND if MacEwen could play centre.

Pettersson-Horvat-Virtanen

Miller-Gaudette-Boeser

Pearson-MacEwen-Ferland. (or, Pearson-Sutter-MacEwen)

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Sutter = 13th forward; him and Ferland alternative in the line-up as part of a load management strategy.

Eriksson gets sent to the minors.  

I’d probably still be more inclined to do the ‘stack’ idea if I was going to entertain this sort of thing however,  but have Pearson on the Gaudette’s left side instead of Virtanen (give the line a more defensive element while giving the line another left handed shooter).

Miller-Horvat-Pettersson /Edler-Schmidt (think:  2011 Sedins’/Burrows/Erhoff/Edler dominance)

Pearson-Gaudette-Boeser / Hughes-Myers.  Hughes being on this pairing would open things up offensively

Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen / Juolevi-Benn.  Not the greatest offensively, but this line would still have a chance of producing offense.

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Demko

Holtby

Eriksson to the minors if Ferland is healthy.   Ferland and Sutter alternate games as part of a load management strategy.

Three line balance:  

The line-up below is probably the closest to ‘being balanced’ that I can think of.

Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser (Ferland as LW)

Miller-Gaudette-Virtanen (Sutter as C)

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter to the minors or Ferland on LTIR.  

If Ferland is done, then Sutter becomes the 13th forward and alternates with Gaudette as part of a load management strategy.

If Ferland can play, then Sutter goes to the minors and Ferland alternates with Roussel as part of a load management strategy).

I’ll take Sutter over Roussel. 

• Vintage 1

virtanen should not be on the top 2 lines. He lacks the hockey IQ to make or receive any plays. 

Yet, he will be because we don't have anyone better. Again, will be forced to play throughout the line up because he's not smart enough to stay on the top 2 lines, yet struggles defensively on the 3rd, and refuses to accept himself as a grinder on the 4th line

Edited by Jetliner
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see any more moves being made now, training camp's starting and the team needs to work hard quickly to gel together.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Gaudette - Sutter - Motte

Roussel - Beagle - Hawryluk

MacEwan 

Eriksson

Baertschi

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Hamonic

Benn

Rafferty

Holtby

Demko

Hopefully we won't have to go past those 15 forwards/8 defencemen but if we do, there's loads of AHL guys who would love a sniff and might get one if we get any late injuries.  The defence is pretty well set unless Juolevi disappoints, in which case Benn/Rafferty/Chatfield etc. could slip right in.

Up front will be interesting, that extra top-6 role is up for grabs. I think Virtanen will be gifted with it but I hope Green keeps an open mind and gives it to whoever complements the other two guys nicely. It may easily be Gaudette or Motte in all fairness, we'll just have to wait and see who brings in in training camp. Based on the end of last season I'd pick Motte but his offence might not be there anymore. Gaudette had a stellar pre-season last year and might do the same this training camp to snatch the spot - he's got the offensive capabilities and his defensive holes can be covered easily by the other two. I think guys like Roussel and Hawryluk will have a battle against MacEwan and even Eriksson for bottom-6 spots though but should be interesting to see who comes ready and fit to play.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Don't see any more moves being made now, training camp's starting and the team needs to work hard quickly to gel together.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Gaudette - Sutter - Motte

Roussel - Beagle - Hawryluk

MacEwan 

Eriksson

Baertschi

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Hamonic

Benn

Rafferty

Holtby

Demko

Hopefully we won't have to go past those 15 forwards/8 defencemen but if we do, there's loads of AHL guys who would love a sniff and might get one if we get any late injuries.  The defence is pretty well set unless Juolevi disappoints, in which case Benn/Rafferty/Chatfield etc. could slip right in.

Up front will be interesting, that extra top-6 role is up for grabs. I think Virtanen will be gifted with it but I hope Green keeps an open mind and gives it to whoever complements the other two guys nicely. It may easily be Gaudette or Motte in all fairness, we'll just have to wait and see who brings in in training camp. Based on the end of last season I'd pick Motte but his offence might not be there anymore. Gaudette had a stellar pre-season last year and might do the same this training camp to snatch the spot - he's got the offensive capabilities and his defensive holes can be covered easily by the other two. I think guys like Roussel and Hawryluk will have a battle against MacEwan and even Eriksson for bottom-6 spots though but should be interesting to see who comes ready and fit to play.

Moves have to be made, your lineup is over the cap.

The Canucks have to be under the Cap every game like every season, this includes if they bring players up from the taxi squad or waive players to go down.

Should Eriksson and Baertschi both be put on the taxi squad it would give the team an additional 2 mil in cap space, but neither player could be called up and that would waste to taxi squad spots because adding them would mean their full cap hit is counted

Even if Hamonic signs for a million they will likely have to put Benn on the taxi squad and play raw rookies just for cap purposes.

Maybe with 50% retention they can trade Sutter, Roussel or Beagle but they may have to trade Pearson because they have to get around another 2 million in cap space so they could put Sven or Eriksson on the taxi squad.

I am pretty sure there are going to be nights when capfriendly makes the line up.

And players can still be picked up off waivers going from the team to the taxi squad.

If Ferland doesn't report for his medical, and he has time, they cannot put him on LTIR. He has to fail.

Hamonic is not signed yet but I think the PTO is a way to circumvent the CBA's new taxi squad rules, the cap rules and pay a player to hang around without being on the roster.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Cheers 1

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson 

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter

Hughes-Schmidt 
Edler-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic

Benn

Demko

Holtby

Cliff Notes:

1) We’ll likely see Edler and Schmidt start off as a pairing but Hughes might replace Edler on the top pairing IF Edler shows his age and/or that 5 man unit struggles to generate offense.

2) I know people on here dislike Eriksson but I think the Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson line will remain in tact since that line can take on the toughest match-ups.   

13 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson 

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter

Hughes-Schmidt 
Edler-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic

Benn

Demko

Holtby

Cliff Notes:

1) We’ll likely see Edler and Schmidt start off as a pairing but Hughes might replace Edler on the top pairing IF Edler shows his age and/or that 5 man unit struggles to generate offense.

2) I know people on here dislike Eriksson but I think the Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson line will remain in tact since that line can take on the toughest match-ups.   

It will be 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Gaudette

Motte-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Lockwood

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Myers

Rathbone-Hamonic

Demko

Holtby

I think Gaudette is better suited for top 6 than Virtanen or Eriksson, provides more scoring. Motte deserves to play on 3rd line and I see Lockwood being a great 4th liner. Schmidt and Hughes provides offense so its better to spread that and have 2 dangerous pairings. Rathbone reminds me of a much more offensively skilled stecher who will gain more experience playing with a vet like Hamonic. The Lotto line needs to be intact to provide stable and consistent offense.

2021:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Sutter-Motte

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi-Hamonic

Demko

Holtby

2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Podkolzin-Horvat-Hoglander

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Sutter-MacEwen

Hughes-Myers

Joulevi-Schmidt

Edler-Tryamkin

Demko

Holtby

4 hours ago, Tyster said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

Yup. I agree with your take 100%  TG says he has OJ and Myers together and Edler Schmidt together to see them with a short camp.  That leaves Hughes Hamonic. I think those are gonna be what we see for D pairings opening night.

Hoggy is making a splash and therefore making the team. Rouss Gaud Mac are playing together in camp.  Beagle is kinda looking like the 5th centre.

Edited by fanfor42

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Beagle-Sutter 

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Hamonic 

Juolevi- Myers

Benn

Demko

Holtby

taxi:

Erickson - sadly he should be sent down but I don’t think they will. 

Baerschi - need a potential top 6 winger as a backup and we don’t want Lind sitting around. Nor has he proven he can even play on the 4th line. Really Baer is our only top 6 “ish” player in Utica now. 

Mckewan - has shown he belongs and can handle spot duty 

Brisbois - need a dman in the group and while it’s better he’s playing, he’s one of our better young defenders and the others either need more time or are redundant (Rafferty) 

as Utica is now playing I think the team would prefer to have Rathbone getting higher quality ice time and game play vs being a black ace.

Same Goes for guys like Lind, Rafferty and Chatfield 

Edited by Millsy
  • Vintage 1

Can Pearson play RW? It could open a spot for Baertschi on a more balanced second line than with one of Hoglander, Virtanen or Eriksson.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson

Motte-Beagle-Sutter 

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Höglander
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Bailey- MacEwen

Edler - Schmidt
Hughes - Hamonic
Juolevi - Myers
Benn

Demko
Holtby

Taxi: 

Hawryluk

Baertschi

Michaelis

Chatfield

Brisebois

Dipietro

Eriksson? 

(yes i cut n paste)

On 12/26/2020 at 4:59 PM, Jetliner said:

virtanen should not be on the top 2 lines. He lacks the hockey IQ to make or receive any plays. 

Yet, he will be because we don't have anyone better. Again, will be forced to play throughout the line up because he's not smart enough to stay on the top 2 lines, yet struggles defensively on the 3rd, and refuses to accept himself as a grinder on the 4th line

On 1/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, DefCon1 said:

It will be 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Gaudette

Motte-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Lockwood

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Myers

Rathbone-Hamonic

Demko

Holtby

I think Gaudette is better suited for top 6 than Virtanen or Eriksson, provides more scoring. Motte deserves to play on 3rd line and I see Lockwood being a great 4th liner. Schmidt and Hughes provides offense so its better to spread that and have 2 dangerous pairings. Rathbone reminds me of a much more offensively skilled stecher who will gain more experience playing with a vet like Hamonic. The Lotto line needs to be intact to provide stable and consistent offense.

I am not sure where you guys come to your conclusions regarding your statements.

Goals         Assists          Points           plus/minus

Here are the stats(last year): Top 6 wingers  Miller           27                45                  72                   11

Boeser        16                 29                 45                    4

Pearson      21                 24                 45                   -4

Ericksson    6                   7                   13                   -2

Bottom 6  Wingers                  Virtanen      18                18                  36                  -4

Gaudette     12                21                  33                  -7     

Roussel        7                 6                    13

As you say "Grinders on the 4th line"? 

Motte          4                  4                     8

Beagle        2                  6                     8      

Sutter         8                  9                     17

Comparables from these numbers puts him closer to Pearson and he definitely does not produce "Grinder" numbers. With regular duties and minutes in the top 6, I am guessing his numbers would be closer to Pearson's. Pearson's numbers were a career high for him last year so I am not sure he is going to repeat that again. Virtanen's on the other hand have increased every year and considering his age, will most likely still go up. Gaudette still has room for growth as well but nothing so far is indicating he will provide more scoring then Virtanen at this point. 

Points aside, I believe the top lines require elements of speed. forechecking and the ability for a winger to get in the dirty areas to retrieve the puck. Not sure if Gaudette or Ericsson can do that effectively at this point. This becomes even more of an issue come playoff time, as we witnessed last year. The "pretty play" is nice in the regular season, playoffs? ,Not so much.

On 11/5/2020 at 2:23 PM, ken kaniff said:

I wouldn’t put MacKewn in the top 6 or match Edler and Myers together. I’d go with this

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Baertschi*-Gaudette-Sutter

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

MacKewn

Hawerlyuk

Hughes-Schmidt

Edler-Rafferty

Juolevi-Myers

Benn

Holtby

Demko

LTIR Ferland - Don’t see him playing in the NHL again. Hope he just calls it a career instead of trying to come back for 1-2 games here and there and getting hurt again.

*Really think Baertschi is a NHL player. He got screwed over last year tbh. Should have made the roster over a couple guys. Either Baer or Hawyrluk in the this spot.

Eriksson can’t be on this team anymore. He’s not an NHL player and has just given up trying. Got his money and checked out. AHL with him

For real? Sven has a concussion problem like Ferland, I hope Sven isn't in the line-up anytime soon, he's an accident waiting to happen, just like Manny.. 

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2021 at 3:30 PM, Tyster said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

This precisely. IF Hoglander continues to impress at camp.

On 1/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, DefCon1 said:

It will be 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Gaudette

Motte-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Lockwood

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Myers

Rathbone-Hamonic

Demko

Holtby

It will be