Pearson Horvat Hoglander/(Gaudette)

Motte Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle MacEwen/(Hawryluk)

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Hamonic

(Benn Chatfield)

Demko/Holtby

Gaudette is obviously the 'wildcard' - and needs to take a serious step forward imo.

The team is simply better / more balanced with Sutter centering the 3rd line - Gaudette has yet to show he can handle center duties at the NHL level.  If Sutter is healthy, I think Gaudette converts to wing - may be spot duty / situational use for secondary scoring and injury replacement, but needs to really develop his defensive game if he hopes to remain a center.   Which puts him in competition with Hoglander imo to stay in the top 12.  The point is only furthered by the possilbility/likelihood of a rookie Hoglander on a typically dual duty second line.  If the intent/hope is to get more secondary scoring out of Horvat's line with Hoglander there, it probably only underlines the need to have a legit shutdown center in the 3C spot.  The 'good' thing about the uncertainty in the 2RW spot is the wealth of young options - Virtanen, Hoglander, Gaudette, Lind - and soon enough, Podkolzin (which is why I'm 'ok' with the team letting a couple veteran wingers expire without re-signing them.

I'd swap Motte and Roussel - elevating Motte to the 3rd line.  He was a great fit with Beagle, but imo has more speed and possibly more upside than Roussel - I'd reward Motte's unreal last season, and postseason, with a promotion - and I think the fit and counterpunching ability of that 3rd line is enhanced.

Similar to 2LW - that 3LHD spot - I'd strongly favour Juolevi - but in addition to Benn, imo there are a number of young D that are near NHL ready / serviceable - so overall I think the depth and balance of the blueline is looking pretty solid.

Should be a fun year again.

If there were one move I might look to make, perhaps solidifying the 3C spot - I might look at Columbus, who appears to be poised to make some moves (at least Dubois) - but something around Sutter and Gaudette for Jenner.....would love to see Jenner added to this group.  Not only does he bring heaviness, penalty killing (and latent upside) - but imagine a group down the middle where every faceoff guy is 55% and better (they'd easily be the strongest group in the NHL if not already).

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, EdgarM said:

I am not sure where you guys come to your conclusions regarding your statements.

Goals         Assists          Points           plus/minus

Here are the stats(last year): Top 6 wingers  Miller           27                45                  72                   11

Boeser        16                 29                 45                    4

Pearson      21                 24                 45                   -4

Ericksson    6                   7                   13                   -2

Bottom 6  Wingers                  Virtanen      18                18                  36                  -4

Gaudette     12                21                  33                  -7     

Roussel        7                 6                    13

As you say "Grinders on the 4th line"? 

Motte          4                  4                     8

Beagle        2                  6                     8      

Sutter         8                  9                     17

Comparables from these numbers puts him closer to Pearson and he definitely does not produce "Grinder" numbers. With regular duties and minutes in the top 6, I am guessing his numbers would be closer to Pearson's. Pearson's numbers were a career high for him last year so I am not sure he is going to repeat that again. Virtanen's on the other hand have increased every year and considering his age, will most likely still go up. Gaudette still has room for growth as well but nothing so far is indicating he will provide more scoring then Virtanen at this point. 

Points aside, I believe the top lines require elements of speed. forechecking and the ability for a winger to get in the dirty areas to retrieve the puck. Not sure if Gaudette or Ericsson can do that effectively at this point. This becomes even more of an issue come playoff time, as we witnessed last year. The "pretty play" is nice in the regular season, playoffs? ,Not so much.

virtanen numbers went up because he was playing on a better team than years before and being given top 6 mins.

lol don't look too closely to the stats

If you watch him play you would know what I mean

On 12/26/2020 at 4:59 PM, Jetliner said:

virtanen should not be on the top 2 lines. He lacks the hockey IQ to make or receive any plays

Yet, he will be because we don't have anyone better. Again, will be forced to play throughout the line up because he's not smart enough to stay on the top 2 lines, yet struggles defensively on the 3rd, and refuses to accept himself as a grinder on the 4th line

On 1/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, EdgarM said:

I am not sure where you guys come to your conclusions regarding your statements.

Goals         Assists          Points           plus/minus

Here are the stats(last year): Top 6 wingers  Miller           27                45                  72                   11

Boeser        16                 29                 45                    4

Pearson      21                 24                 45                   -4

Ericksson    6                   7                   13                   -2

Bottom 6  Wingers                  Virtanen      18                18                  36                  -4

Gaudette     12                21                  33                  -7     

Roussel        7                 6                    13

As you say "Grinders on the 4th line"? 

Motte          4                  4                     8

Beagle        2                  6                     8      

Sutter         8                  9                     17

Comparables from these numbers puts him closer to Pearson and he definitely does not produce "Grinder" numbers. With regular duties and minutes in the top 6, I am guessing his numbers would be closer to Pearson's. Pearson's numbers were a career high for him last year so I am not sure he is going to repeat that again. Virtanen's on the other hand have increased every year and considering his age, will most likely still go up. Gaudette still has room for growth as well but nothing so far is indicating he will provide more scoring then Virtanen at this point. 

Points aside, I believe the top lines require elements of speed. forechecking and the ability for a winger to get in the dirty areas to retrieve the puck. Not sure if Gaudette or Ericsson can do that effectively at this point. This becomes even more of an issue come playoff time, as we witnessed last year. The "pretty play" is nice in the regular season, playoffs? ,Not so much.

4 hours ago, Jetliner said:

virtanen numbers went up because he was playing on a better team than years before and being given top 6 mins.

lol don't look too closely to the stats

If you watch him play you would know what I mean

Given top 6 minutes? For what , like a dozen games or so? 

I watch the whole team play, every game, I see no difference between him and Pearson. 

Virtanen has been basically a mainstay on the 3rd line, you would know that if you "watch him play". :lol:

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Tyster said:
Well, I guess we should start talking about next year's lineup....

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Podkolzin
Vesey Miller Virtanen
Motte Gaudette Boyd

Roussel Lind Macewen

I'm not sure Jake stays. He is a prime buyout candidate that can be turned into two cheaper players. I'm not sure if Vesey or Boyd will even want to stay considering they were plucked from a playoff team straight into covid protocol. Not exactly the best impression of the Canucks left on them.

7 hours ago, DSVII said:

I'm not sure Jake stays. He is a prime buyout candidate that can be turned into two cheaper players. I'm not sure if Vesey or Boyd will even want to stay considering they were plucked from a playoff team straight into covid protocol. Not exactly the best impression of the Canucks left on them.

I can't see ownership green lighting buy-outs, they don't like throwing more money at bad contracts. Jim has to be accountable for his signing and suffer the consequences of his decisions. Virtanen can be traded before the deadline at the end of next season if necessary. I don't think ownership has any unrealistic expectations for next season. Everyone knows our window opens up the years after next.

What I'm hoping for next year is that they get some of our top young guys (Podkolzin, Lind, Juolevi and Rathbone) some ice-time to develop their game.

What about our defence next season? Do you think Tryamkin will be in the mix?

24 minutes ago, Tyster said:

I can't see ownership green lighting buy-outs, they don't like throwing more money at bad contracts. Jim has to be accountable for his signing and suffer the consequences of his decisions. Virtanen can be traded before the deadline at the end of next season if necessary. I don't think ownership has any unrealistic expectations for next season. Everyone knows our window opens up the years after next.

What I'm hoping for next year is that they get some of our top young guys (Podkolzin, Lind, Juolevi and Rathbone) some ice-time to develop their game.

What about our defence next season? Do you think Tryamkin will be in the mix?

As a Tryamkin truther the day he was drafted I want him to be in the mix, but even if he joins us, I'm not confident playing him in the Top 4. He's been out of the North American game too long. Probably bottom pairing guy who is too proud to work on his game in Utica. But i do want him here if we are going to build an environment for Russian players with Podholzin joining us.

IIRC, he didn't sign with us last year because we couldn't make the cap dollars work last year in time. I don't see any indication that this year is going to look any better without some combination of a buyout, expansion draft deal or a retirement.

Edited by DSVII

Posted this in another thread to try and bring more scoring balance and youth:

Miller Pettersson Gusev

Podkolzin Horvat Boeser 

Pearson Gaudette Hoglander

Motte Boyd Virtanen

Vesey

Hughes Hamonic

Schmidt Tryamkin

Joulevi Myers

Rathbone

Demko

Holtby

-Take an elite talent like Gusev and put him in a place to succeed

-Make the third line actually a threat to score

-Lower our 4th line cost and give them some ability to control the tempo

-Balance the D but make sure they can control the tempo

-Defensive ability can be in the middle 6 vs just the fourth line

-Get NT back already.  We need him

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

The more the season goes on, the more I worry Sutter and Beagle won't be here next year and our bottom-6 centers and PKers are going to be a mess. If Sutter is happy to re-sign for a 1.5-2M x 1 or 2 year deal then we should take it, plant him on our 4th line and 1st PK unit and milk 12-15 minutes out of him. Beagle sounds more and more like he's going to be on LTIR and may retire soon, leaving a massive hole at 3C which is where JB's going to have to work his magic and either sign a UFA cheap or trade for one.

I know Petey and Hughes need deals, but this bottom-6 center problem needs to be addressed. Who knows, it might be Travis Boyd but he hasn't even had a chance to show us his stuff yet.

• Like 1

1st line

Nils Pete Boeser

Nils is probably our best puck retriever he's money along the wall and has the hands and feistyness to win those battles infront of the net. 

2nd Line 

Pearson Miller Virtanen/Gaud

Miller is an alpha male he will hold Virtanen's feet to the fire I'm looking for power and pressure from this line. If Virtanen still doesn't get it slide Gaud in as a playmaker.

3rd line

Motte Bo Podkolzin 

Shut down hard matchups meaningful minutes.

4th line 

Gadjo Lind Zack/Rous

Pestilence get under opponents skin. 

Extras:

Beagle may be on IR to start 

Loui sent to Kalamazoo

Lockwood would like to see him get a shot at some point.

Hawerluk He's probably worth another look.

On 4/10/2021 at 9:02 AM, Kobayashi Maru said:

Posted this in another thread to try and bring more scoring balance and youth:

Miller Pettersson Gusev

Podkolzin Horvat Boeser 

Pearson Gaudette Hoglander

Motte Boyd Virtanen

Vesey

Hughes Hamonic

Schmidt Tryamkin

Joulevi Myers

Rathbone

Demko

Holtby

-Take an elite talent like Gusev and put him in a place to succeed

-Make the third line actually a threat to score

-Lower our 4th line cost and give them some ability to control the tempo

-Balance the D but make sure they can control the tempo

-Defensive ability can be in the middle 6 vs just the fourth line

-Get NT back already.  We need him

I think your D is realistic, depending on how much Hamonic and Tryamkin are willing to sign for.

There is a question as well with Edler. But I don't think we could see Edler, Hamonic and Tryamkin next season. Maybe two of them at the most.

I think the question is do you try and bring Tramkin in to replace Edler? Or do they look at Rathbone to replace Edler?

Really we have to invest in youth next season, because our window opens the following season after next.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Mete or Vatanen, do it JB! Or do we dare....Beiga? :D

If JB is considering picking any of these guys up, I hope it is Mete. We need more young players itching the crack an NHL roster full time, especially on our back end.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KirkSave said:

If JB is considering picking any of these guys up, I hope it is Mete. We need more young players itching the crack an NHL roster full time, especially on our back end.

Looks like no on Mete, although the Senators have the waiver spot above us so nothing we could do there.

I think with Gaudette traded, we should just move JT to the third line for that depth scoring instead of going to the market for a 3C and presuming no buyouts (yet)

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin 

Roussel Miller Motte

MacEwen Highmore Virtanen

Beagle (presuming he is not LTIR)

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Tyster said:

All right.... New Top 9 for next season... I'm trying to balance all three lines...

Vesey  Petey  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  Podkolzin

Hogger  Miller  Virtanen

What do you guys think?

Vesey wont be here.  If he is, hes a bottom 6 guy at best.