The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks Jersey History Tournament (Round #3)

Rate this topic

Roberts

Vancouver Canucks Jersey History Tournament  

40 members have voted

1. 1. MATCHUP #1

• Original 1970's White Stick-in-rink
    • Modern 2010's Stick-in-rink Alternate
  2. 2. MATCHUP #2

• 2000's White Red-Orca
    • 2020's Primary Blue-Orca (No Wordmark)
  3. 3. MATCHUP #3

• 1990's Black Skate
    • 2000's Gradient Alternate

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/09/2020 at 08:00 PM

The 2000's jerseys tied in round #2, so they both advance! Luckily that gives us the right amount of jerseys for 3 matchups. Here we go!

MATCHUP #1: 1970's Original Stick-in-rink vs. 2010's Modern Stick-in-rink Alternate

70s1.png.dfbeaebcee2a04bf66df5e30e2ce46fb.png VS. 2010s3.jpg.2893939d18d1992965eed23b76d72415.jpg

MATCHUP #2: 2000's White Red-Orca vs. 2020's Blue-Orca (No Wordmark)

2000s2.jpg.07e2d69c768830e2ea89ac2f855356a1.jpg VS.  2020s1.jpg.ce708a9048e016597a11f8d90dd5fc2c.jpg

MATCHUP #3: 1990's Black Skate vs. 2000's Gradient Alternate

90s2.jpg.a45fa3ffa9a5190305fc51547a061684.jpg VS. 2000s3.thumb.jpg.5594c4c8d69967bc4117fad0014ac96d.jpg

• Vintage 2

First one is tougher, I went with the newer version.

Then current home, and the skate. Guessing skate will be the ultimate winner.

The white and gradient orca tied. Appropriate to have both advance, and solves the issue of an odd number of winners.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Upvote 1

The skate will win the whole thing for sure. It's all the rage right now. Both new fans and fans from the 90s are in love with it, which makes up the majority of the fan base. Only some fans from the WCE days and fans from the 80s or earlier aren't as infatuated with it.

The modern stick 'n Rink (2010s version) is my all-time favourite Canuck jersey.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The skate will win the whole thing for sure. It's all the rage right now. Both new fans and fans from the 90s are in love with it, which makes up the majority of the fan base. Only some fans from the WCE days and fans from the 80s or earlier aren't as infatuated with it.

The modern stick 'n Rink (2010s version) is my all-time favourite Canuck jersey.

I agree, nostalgia is ruling the day.

The 2010s Stick-In-Rink is decent but has the issue of that thin blue stripe between the green and white. It muddies the green and makes it pop less, from a distance they look like Laffs jerseys. :sick:

• Cheers 1

On 11/8/2020 at 3:59 AM, -AJ- said:

Yes.   And the SIR re-make is pretty cool.   I get that the WCE era ones won’t gain much traction with the overall fanbase, but also get that fans that fell in love with the Canucks for the first time while Naslund, Bertuzzi, the Sedins, Ohlund, Jovo, Cooke, Ruutu etc wore them - Linden too - might like them as much or more then anything before or since ...  think fans are in love with their first one more then they’d like to admit.   The V gets a lot of flak ... but wouldn’t trade it for anything.   Broduer, Snepsts, Smyl, Butcher and co rocked it.

Id like to also call foul.   The white skates, our home uniforms, should get a final chance to come back and rank them against whomever comes second ha ha.   Because they were just that awesome.   Linden hugging McLean with blood on his sweater - is to me the most iconic photo the Canucks have ever had. 

And a final note.   I believe the current ones will finally overcome those uniforms.  Horvat and co are going to make them more iconic over time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 11/8/2020 at 1:59 AM, -AJ- said:

I was born in 94 & dont want the black skate jersey as our primary. It's definitely a cool jersey, but it's a fad for sure. It belongs in the late 80's and 90's and should be left there.

IMO Blue and Green are the colors of this beautiful province and should be reflected through our jerseys.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Maginator said:

I was born in 94 & dont want the black skate jersey as our primary. It's definitely a cool jersey, but it's a fad for sure. It belongs in the late 80's and 90's and should be left there.

IMO Blue and Green are the colors of this beautiful province and should be reflected through our jerseys.

Culturally we're living in an era of peak 90s nostalgia. A little while ago everybody was fetishizing the 80s. I respect the skate, but I think a few years from now the clamouring for it will die down. I just hope Canucks management realizes the hype for the skate will eventually subside and doesn't cave into making it the full time look.

I'm not opposed to it being made the permanent third, but Blue and Green should never be abandoned again.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maginator said:

Born in '94 isn't a fan from the 90s in my eyes. You would've been about three years old when we switched the Orca. When I say fans from the 90s, I mean people who became fans of the team during the early and mid 90s with the Skate.

You're more likely as I am, a fan born in the 90s who became a fan with the WCE team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Born in '94 isn't a fan from the 90s in my eyes. You would've been about three years old when we switched the Orca. When I say fans from the 90s, I mean people who became fans of the team during the early and mid 90s with the Skate.

You're more likely as I am, a fan born in the 90s who became a fan with the WCE team.

It wasn’t until grade 10-11 that I started paying a lot of attention to the  Canucks, before that like most people I knew the massive Gretzky hype had kids in BC rooting for them.    They were so good it was hard not to get caught up in it.  

When I was 7-8 Bobby Clark was one of my favourite players because the PHI Flyers were still a contender (thx to Quin) and nobody could beat his hair or his smile.    Wasn’t until WG left that I started to not mostly cheer for the Oilers (Vancouver was my second favourite team at the time) and started to really notice the Canucks more even though I spent my first 35 years in B.C.   Seen the same thing with kids and Crosby ... PIT fans in BC and ON but to a much lesser degree.   Wayne Gretzky makes EP look like Sutter in comparison hype wise.   Four years with 200 plus points was simply unheard of, and everyone was talking about him all the time.    Even after he left to LA, already a convert to Vancouver- I hoped they’d win a cup in LA, not MTL.   Made for some interesting stuff given at that time I was living with some baby bombers that felt it was sacrilege to cheer for a US team.   

Point is that unless your born into a devout Canucks family it can take some time.   I certainly wasn’t.   Uncles were either TO or Habs fans way before the Canucks came around.  Wouldn’t really count the first ten years of anyone’s life either, too easy to get caught up in what’s recent.   

I’m sure a lot of kids on this site loved Crosby when he was the next thing the same way I did with Gretzky because I saw it happen in two different provinces. 

I can say that by the time Linden was drafted and beyond that I was a converted Canucks fan.   Only because WG was traded though which is kind of embarrassing.   Sure I around for the first run - and idolized the sticker books I completed at the time.   But Vancouver didn’t look to have a tiny chance in hell to beat EDM so went with them.   As an aside Gretzky scored more goals and points against Vancouver then any other team as an Oiler.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Culturally we're living in an era of peak 90s nostalgia. A little while ago everybody was fetishizing the 80s. I respect the skate, but I think a few years from now the clamouring for it will die down. I just hope Canucks management realizes the hype for the skate will eventually subside and doesn't cave into making it the full time look.

I'm not opposed to it being made the permanent third, but Blue and Green should never be abandoned again.

Wouldn’t worry about it.  For the past two plus decades they haven’t caved to the popular opinion.   They won’t change it.   And that’s ok.  I’m a massive fan of the skate because of what it represents and represented to our history.  The most beautiful and heartbreaking time of our history.   I’m also still confident that our current ones will do the same, and know that as the baby bombers and gen x’s age out that it will slowly die away.  Kind of sad really.  But it is what it is.  In the meantime I’m going to enjoy the Black Skate, our second best jersey of all-time (the white is for sure the best one) beat the Orca.   Ha ha.  

Edit: Horvat looked like a total boss rocking it three times this year.  Even LE looked like a boss. .... why?  Because they are by far the best Canucks uniforms that we’ve ever had.

image.jpg

Edited by IBatch

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Edit: Horvat looked like a total boss rocking it three times this year.  Even LE looked like a boss. .... why?  Because they are by far the best Canucks uniforms that we’ve ever had.

image.jpg

They're fine. They're just not very Vancouver and they're too similar to enough teams that it would be a mistake to warrant the switch full time. I guarantee you if they switched 20 years from now people would be clamouring for the blue and green again citing memories of the Sedins, Lu, Bieksa, Burr, Kesler etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

They're fine. They're just not very Vancouver and they're too similar to enough teams that it would be a mistake to warrant the switch full time. I guarantee you if they switched 20 years from now people would be clamouring for the blue and green again citing memories of the Sedins, Lu, Bieksa, Burr, Kesler etc.

Too similar to who exactly?  The Canucks rocked black before anyone did ... then by the late 90’s everyone caught on to their research which was done in the late 70’s.   Ok maybe Boston.  But they were about it.  The team hired a panel of psychology geeks to design the V, and picked the most intimidating colours their research findings back then which again came up in the late 90’s (blacks-red-organge-yellow in that order) when everyone and their dog decided to make the switch too.   But aside from Boston nobody else owned it for the 20 years previous.  BM we are on the same side.  I’m not expecting or even asking for the skate to come back - but it was one b!tching uniform and until people age out or we have another magical run to the cup which equals 94, they will forever be remembered as the best of the bunch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Too similar to who exactly?  The Canucks rocked black before anyone did ... then by the late 90’s everyone caught on to their research which was done in the late 70’s.   Ok maybe Boston.  But they were about it.  The team hired a panel of psychology geeks to design the V, and picked the most intimidating colours their research findings back then which again came up in the late 90’s (blacks-red-organge-yellow in that order) when everyone and their dog decided to make the switch too.   But aside from Boston nobody else owned it for the 20 years previous.  BM we are on the same side.  I’m not expecting or even asking for the skate to come back - but it was one b!tching uniform and until people age out or we have another magical run to the cup which equals 94, they will forever be remembered as the best of the bunch. 

I know we're on the same side, I just feel a certain need to add ballast to the skate hype. I'm aware of the history, but that nonsense research is what led us to the eyesore flying-V ponchos and away from our rightful colours in the first place. We wore blue & green before any other team in the big 4. The Team Germany skate was a gradual move away from the construction vest uniforms. 

As far as similarities, the skate jerseys are extremely similar to Vegas, Boston and Pittsburgh, and are an inverse of Calgary's colours. Meanwhile, nobody else wears blue and green, the closest you'll get are the Seahawks and Timberwolves, who wear navy and lime green, and that was significantly after us.

Also, I'd appreciate not being referred to as 'BM'. :P

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I know we're on the same side, I just feel a certain need to add ballast to the skate hype. I'm aware of the history, but that nonsense research is what led us to the eyesore flying-V ponchos and away from our rightful colours in the first place. We wore blue & green before any other team in the big 4. The Team Germany skate was a gradual move away from the construction vest uniforms. 

As far as similarities, the skate jerseys are extremely similar to Vegas, Boston and Pittsburgh, and are an inverse of Calgary's colours. Meanwhile, nobody else wears blue and green, the closest you'll get are the Seahawks and Timberwolves, who wear navy and lime green, and that was significantly after us.

Also, I'd appreciate not being referred to as 'BM'. :P

Yes I forgot about PIT.    What I really really didn’t like was when we changed them and the entire league went completely ballistic with black/dark uniforms in the late 90’s.   Watching the 99 Dalllas/Buffalo final was hard on the eyes ... not sure how the players themselves knew who to pass the puck too, or the refs had much of a chance to find the correct culprit either.    Dallas went black as did Buffuloslug, and our first Orca uniform’s were a complete disaster.   Why the purple? Ha ha .... it’s ok - I was just stoked to see these guys blessed by three games of a great uniform...and hope that’s not the last we’ve seen of them for the next 20 or so years 

Edit:  ha ha - man I’m sorry too Bitter Melon...maybe instead of BM (why that didn’t occur to me as a hilarious until now ... well sorry).  From now on if I’m lazy and don’t want to type your full handle will refer to use as Cuke. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

...but that nonsense research is what led us to the eyesore flying-V ponchos and away from our rightful colours in the first place...

It may be no accident that all of the years involving orange, yellow and black were the years where continuously the Canucks were no pushover and hard to play against.

There weren't any years from Tiger and Snepsts all the way through to Odjick and Hunter where the Canucks had the "tranquil and peaceful" reputation that came with some of the lineups of other uniforms.

Messier years - have fun opposition, we're just going Sunday skating.

Daniel and Henrik - Jesus says to turn the other cheek...

Tiger, Odjick, Snepsts, Fraser, etc.  Nobody is getting out of that arena against the orange and yellow guys without some bruises.  Even Richard Brodeur was throwing punches at the media after games.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It may be no accident that all of the years involving orange, yellow and black were the years where continuously the Canucks were no pushover and hard to play against.

There weren't any years from Tiger and Snepsts all the way through to Odjick and Hunter where the Canucks had the "tranquil and peaceful" reputation that came with some of the lineups of other uniforms.

Messier years - have fun opposition, we're just going Sunday skating.

Daniel and Henrik - Jesus says to turn the other cheek...

Tiger, Odjick, Snepsts, Fraser, etc.  Nobody is getting out of that arena against the orange and yellow guys without some bruises.  Even Richard Brodeur was throwing punches at the media after games.

No doubt.   That reputation did stick around the first few years after the changes, but died away pretty fast after Brashear left.   Not that he was as a willing opponent as some might like but he definitely established his reputation as a Canuck.   Those late 90’s teams were some of the toughest ever.   But by the early 2000’s not so much and really haven’t been close ever since. 

7 hours ago, Rubik said:

Why is the poll closed?

EDIT: It also says: "You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results."

Does anybody else see this or is it just me?

I put up the polls to last about 2 days long each. we are moving to the finals now.

• Cheers 1