The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Green Contract Extension

Rate this topic

IBatch

Extend Green  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just curious, why not this year +2? I don't really have a problem with 4 years of stability, but it might be better for Green to do a shorter term deal now and re-up again in 2 for more money once covid is over. 

Nah, 3 or fire him :P

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We don't know when covid will be "over". And it's not like his contract affects our cap, so we aren't concerned about the cap freeze situation. Green likely will want more security especially given how scrutinized he is here.

we can be pretty sure it will be over with the multiple vaccines on the way next year. Its not about cap, non-player salary comes right out of Aqulini's pocket and the staff have all taken pay cuts this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Not sure I can handle even another season of the 'zero pressure, give away the perimeter' defensive system, LET ALONE FOUR MORE...

Xereau I feel your pain.  Don’t think I re-call a series like Vegas ever ... it was about as horrible series to watch other then Cloutier doing his crap that I can think of ( but in a completely different context).   During the WCE playoffs we looked pretty darn good against whomever we played.   But Beach Ball Meme was never up to the task although he teased us and management just enough ...  however TG definitely out-coached Berube (who BTW as a player I loved) and made adjustments in MIN to make it work.   Vegas was just too much to handle.   Best part was we lingered in their heads and the completely blew it against Dallas (who they also outplayed).   

I think TG and co deserve some time with a better defense before writing them off for sure.   Most experts feel with our lineup we were overachiever’s.    

Linden’s teams used to be like an automatic bye past the first round.   I’m willing to wait and see if we can do that with this roster too.   And BTW they have already achieved more then the WCE teams ever could - despite having the best line in the entire league.   Back to you Cloutier. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

I think they fall back on that system because we didn't have good enough guys on defense that could legitimately go against a good team's top lines.  It's a punishing system, but when you can't beat them with skill, it works.  Our defense is still a ways out from being where it needs to be, and I'm very curious to see how this offseason's shake up plays out. 

Me too.   Edler being the worst in the entire roster at zone exits and zone entries was a little shocking to find out.   He’s still a very solid top four player and has aged like fine wine.   It’s time to see what OJ and maybe Rafferty and maybe Rathbone can do to change the culture of our D.  It’s for sure way behind our forward group.    Losing Tanev hurt - as did Markstrom, but under the cap and with the deals they got I’m for sure ok with that.   I’m more then comfortable with a TG extension.  And believe he’s going to go down as one of the best coaches we’ve had. 

• Cheers 2

I read the article and in this passage Green is talking about Nate Schmidt

"We've seen firsthand (in the Pacific Division) the type of player he is," Green said. "He has a lot of qualities. He can play in all situations. He brings a lot of energy to the group, which I like. When you get into scenarios when the season is hard and can seem long, you need guys with an engine that runs hot. There shouldn't be a bad day in the NHL. We don't want a team with energy-suckers in our group."

All I could picture was

LE.jpeg.bdb13f33aae5beefd194c0516c5ddbd5.jpeg

Now that really is an energy sucker! 

A bad day you say Travis...how about 4 years worth???

Edited by canuckpuckluck15
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we can be pretty sure it will be over with the multiple vaccines on the way next year. Its not about cap, non-player salary comes right out of Aqulini's pocket and the staff have all taken pay cuts this year. 

Well then if it's over, then fans can slowly get back, revenues will be back, not much concern then for Aquilini. I don't hear about many coaches taking on a 2 year contract, they want the security in case they do get let go. They can structure the contract so that it's backloaded so hopefully the brunt of the payment will be when things start getting back to normal. Green should likely cost cheaper than most coaches with a better pedigree anyway. The players seem like to him and we have been progressing with him, so not too concerned with a 3+ year contract.

57 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I read the article and in this passage Green is talking about Nate Schmidt

"We've seen firsthand (in the Pacific Division) the type of player he is," Green said. "He has a lot of qualities. He can play in all situations. He brings a lot of energy to the group, which I like. When you get into scenarios when the season is hard and can seem long, you need guys with an engine that runs hot. There shouldn't be a bad day in the NHL. We don't want a team with energy-suckers in our group."

All I could picture was

LE.jpeg.bdb13f33aae5beefd194c0516c5ddbd5.jpeg

Now that really is an energy sucker! 

A bad day you say Travis...how about 4 years worth???

Wonder what’s really going on with him in the room though.   Seems like a good teammate.   Both JB and TG have said and done enough about character that maybe it’s time we just accept this.   Reminds me a little of Ryan Walter.   If there was no cap nobody would be complaining about this guy.  Yes there is.  And of course no he hasn’t come close to living up to expectations.   But the Marco view says IF he maintained his 30/30 record the first four years of his contract, those extra goals could mean the difference between EP and QHs in the lineup.   Maybe we should all be mailing him thank you cards instead. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well then if it's over, then fans can slowly get back, revenues will be back, not much concern then for Aquilini. I don't hear about many coaches taking on a 2 year contract, they want the security in case they do get let go. They can structure the contract so that it's backloaded so hopefully the brunt of the payment will be when things start getting back to normal. Green should likely cost cheaper than most coaches with a better pedigree anyway. The players seem like to him and we have been progressing with him, so not too concerned with a 3+ year contract.

sure but then they will need to recover some losses too. Just thinking it might be more lucrative for Greener to take a shorter deal now, longer one later. 

15 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Gonna get farted on with confused faces. But I am against an extension if he isn't willing to part with some of his coaching staff if they stink again. I don't have a problem with Greener specifically (Not a fan of doghouse Jake but it is what it is). But Baumer and Brown were poop last season. 

Last season the Canucks were 4th in the NHL in powerplay % and 11th best in goals against per game. What would it take for Baumer and Brown to not be poop?

• Cheers 1

Happy with the progress so far under Green.

More importantly Benning and Green seems to be on the same wave length, so a 3 year deal sounds good. Stability for Green and unless they want rid of Green now, why upset the apple cart, by giving him a shorter deal... and as other have mentioned before, it's not like he can't be canned if it goes pear shaped.

The players seem to like Green, so at least as long as progress is shown, no need to change it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but then they will need to recover some losses too. Just thinking it might be more lucrative for Greener to take a shorter deal now, longer one later. 

It's a gamble for Green that he would get extended again. Coaches don't usually have long lifespans with teams and a lot on this fanbase wishes he was gone based on the complaints we have heard after every game.

As for the team recovering losses. The team is going to need a coach, so unless they plan on hiring someone cheap afterwards, they won't be saving much. Better to invest in him now in case we have a surge in success which makes him more expensive to retain.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Last season the Canucks were 4th in the NHL in powerplay % and 11th best in goals against per game. What would it take for Baumer and Brown to not be poop?

It's the getting hemmed in for minutes on end, and when and if they get the puck back they simply chip it out. It's infuriating to watch.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Fire Green!

And there it is .... Thanks for playing Dumb Nuck!   I thoroughly enjoyed the post season joke posts on this - especially after a win and some didn’t get that it was becoming somewhat of a good luck charm after our five game win streak - losing a couple - and then closing out St Louis.   Vegas .... well I’m happy to say I’m developing a healthy hate for them.  

I like Green, we come from the same small town,  are about the same age, and went to the same school.   The fact his folks still live there is a little endearing as well.   Aside from that, he’s starting to prove he belongs.   There was quite a bit of backlash from some fans and some media on his merits to do the job - fortunately the data is available about both the hiring process and why he was the right man for the job in the first place.   Thinking the game at his level isn’t common, and arguably the hardest working coach in the minors at the time.   Tireless would be a good word for it.   Despite his mind obviously picking apart very little detail he lets them play and trusts his players a lot - doesn’t blender things game to game or during the game too much.  Speaks on it being a young team and how confidence plays into it, I for one like that about him the most.  It makes for some frustrating games for sure.   As long as he has the room, which so far he has - and we continue to progress I don’t see any logical reason to fire him yet.   And if for some reason he didn’t get an extension he wouldn’t be out of work for long. 

• Like 1