The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remote workers should be taxed for privilege...

aGENT

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I mean, I like the idea of giving critical workers more support. But this method is idiotic. A 5% "levy" as they call it would just push people to work at Starbuck, the local library or a cheapie hot desk for a hell of a lot less money. 

I could see the gov't reducing or eliminating the tax credits you can get by claiming partial home use for business purposes if too many people start using it and/or abusing it. Its a giant pain in the ass already to do things like claim car use and which 1/20th of your basement your actually using for storage, etc. so maybe that just goes away down the line but thats different from this cash grab. 

If we really want to help people lets turn empty downtown office buildings into co-op condo's. 

Shhh....you're making too much sense. Doesn't fit with the greed is good paradigm.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

You'd fit right in!

when I was working out east, I was with a company that got offered essentially the free use of a 3 mil dollar building paid for via a federal fund set up for Nova Scotia (a lot back then and for where it was). All we had to do was set up a system where some local guys would get a kickback from the government money  we were getting and they'd vastly undervalue the building to make the math work. I left for BC a few months later. 

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Fine, tax me for working from home, but give me a rebate for protecting the environment, and a rebate on my insurance, and help me subsidize heat in my home, yadda yadda yadda. 

Exactly.  @Lancaster said much the same thing....

WFH, means you use more heat, more electricity and most likely, you have to turn a room into a home office. All of that should be tax deductible. When all is said and done, I wonder if the taxman still sees a true benefit.....

Government should be encouraging people to work from home by offering tax deductions.

Reduces the need for highway expansion /  good for environment....  Could even help some smaller towns with people moving there to telework.

Repopulating smaller towns would be great for many Canadian provinces.  It would stimulate job growth in these smaller towns which typically have higher rates of unemployment / social assistance. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly.  @Lancaster said much the same thing....

WFH, means you use more heat, more electricity and most likely, you have to turn a room into a home office. All of that should be tax deductible. When all is said and done, I wonder if the taxman still sees a true benefit.....

I know of at least one country whose tax laws allow that ::D

Along with a portion (ratio of my home office space to total house square footage) of property tax, mortgage interest and home repairs and upgrades done while I am forced to WFH. 

Heard yesterday there is a good chance the company will make my WFH permanent after Covid.  This is gonna make me look forward to tax time for a change B)

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

You know that that isn't the real issue.  The question is more: how much are you willing to undercut your fellow politicians by to be buyable (bought).

:bigblush:

I'm a cheap ho too. 

• Vintage 1

In Canada it's a bit different...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5658739

To qualify, you either have to spend more than 50 per cent of your time working from home, or you have to use a home office exclusively for work and regularly meet clients there.

The current rules require anyone claiming the deduction to get their employer to fill out a form — T2200 — certifying that working from home is a condition of employment. Without that form, the claim would be rejected, said the CRA.

But that was before the pandemic hit.

I have a feeling the law will get changed to bump it up to 70% work from home to qualify for the claim.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

In Canada it's a bit different...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5658739

To qualify, you either have to spend more than 50 per cent of your time working from home, or you have to use a home office exclusively for work and regularly meet clients there.

The current rules require anyone claiming the deduction to get their employer to fill out a form — T2200 — certifying that working from home is a condition of employment. Without that form, the claim would be rejected, said the CRA.

But that was before the pandemic hit.

I have a feeling the law will get changed to bump it up to 70% work from home to qualify for the claim.

I'd like to think that employers would certify it for Covid.  Not being allowed in the workplace sounds like a condition of employment.