The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette’s role as a Vancouver Canuck

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Motte for sure deserves a promotion.  After watching him this playoffs - his hand eye skills are elite.   You don’t stop that many pucks from getting to their destination without Uber skills.   Takeaway monster.   Plus starts in our zone most of the time and was one of a few guys that could actually get the puck out.   Made the most of his opportunities as well.   Could see him becoming this teams version of Hansen..even an off chance Burrows.   Really like him.   AG and Motte together could be the start of an actual third scoring line.   

I agree Motte moved to the third line Hawryluk or Mac on the right side would be a good line.

23 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think Jasek or even Lind (he looked good taking face-offs this last season) maybe better center options than Adam.  I think both of them could be ready sooner than later.  B)

Neither Jasek or Lind have nhl experience so what makes you think that they will be better than AG

On 11/13/2020 at 6:20 AM, lmm said:

my question is why does Gaudette deserve this special treatment?

why not Motte?

or bring back Beartschi and put him on the top line?

What has Gauddy done to deserve the Jason Megna treatment?

Gaudy has already spent a near-full season at over a .5 ppg pace. That doesn't mean he should be gifted anything, but all of the above are not comparable. 

40 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Gaudy has already spent a near-full season at over a .5 ppg pace. That doesn't mean he should be gifted anything, but all of the above are not comparable. 

How are they not comparable?

there are 23 coveted roster  spots on an NHL team

12 of those spots are for forwards 

those 4 players are forwards 

3 of those forwards are competing for one of those 12 coveted spots on the Canucks (maybe Sven doesn't care any more) 

Megna played with the Sedins

Beartschi played with Bo Horvat

Gaudette played on the second power play unit

Motte kills penalties

Motte has more play off games, goals and points than the other 3 combined

at the end of the day, or training camp as the case may be, there are roster spots and there are players to fill them

It is the coach and manager's jobs to decide if that spot goes to a .5ppg player or a 2 time .55 ppg player or a PK guy that hits and scores clutch goals

In the final analysis its not about .5 ppg or 300 hits a season, but does the player help the team win

He's just a good hockey player to me. He doesn't really have a specialty, he's not really a pest. He's just an average player to me. He is still just getting his feet wet in the legue though so it might take him a while to really figure out who he is on the ice.

• Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, smokes said:

He's just a good hockey player to me. He doesn't really have a specialty, he's not really a pest. He's just an average player to me. He is still just getting his feet wet in the legue though so it might take him a while to really figure out who he is on the ice.

I'd agree with that assessment. I believe there is opportunity to improve and he has always struck me  as a player that wants to get better and listens. He has from the begining been a player that want to look after both end of the ice but need help to get there. He's not over priced and if you believe in the player it might be wise to tie him down on a long term cheap contract. God knows we're going to need some good Cap management in the near future. I have no doubt in my mind that in addition to EP + QH looking for big money, so too will likely Rathbone and other in the future young D we have

I'm really hopeful that Gaudette as a young player will  continue to raise his game, because he seemed to have been quite sheltered in that 3rd line role last year. 

I hope that he has developed his shot or added another skill to his arsenal.  Maybe he will come in really fit and with more maturity, determined to be a two way force. 

It would be so great if players like AG and others step it up this season. We could potentially improve on last season which is exciting. 

Edited by Ms.Glitter

I used to like the guy as a hockey player, but now I see him as another Shotgun Jake who went out partying during covid. The video isn't as bad as Jakes behaviour though. Other players like Horvat and Petersson seem more serious and driven and less like Shane O'Brien 'SOB' at the Roxy.

I think he's still playing because the Canucks staff think he can improve his stats with experience/ maturity/ improvement in skill and training.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm the opposite....I LOVE the energy that he brings and sometimes that can spark others too.  He loves the game and it shows.   He's got 120 NHL games under his belt and is enjoying every second of it...wears his heart on his sleeve.  I'd rather have that than a half hearted player who feels "image is everything".

This.  I'm a huge fan of guys like Ovi, Subban, Burns, who are having fun out there and bring some much needed personality to the game.  I don't see anyone moaning about Tiger Williams and his stick rides.  No issue with it unless he pulls a Yakupov or something like that.

6 minutes ago, CrosbyGold said:

I used to like the guy as a hockey player, but now I see him as another Shotgun Jake who went out partying during covid. The video isn't as bad as Jakes behaviour though. Other players like Horvat and Petersson seem more serious and driven and less like Shane O'Brien 'SOB' at the Roxy.

I think he's still playing because the Canucks staff think he can improve his stats with experience/ maturity/ improvement in skill and training.

Half the league was probably partying during covid.  Even Jake's off ice antics wouldn't be an issue if he didn't keep coming to camp out of shape.  Just because Horvat and Petey have displayed incredible maturity for their age doesn't mean we should throw the under young players under the bus for occasionally acting their age.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CrosbyGold said:

Not everybody is like Horvat Boeser and EP. Isn't that kind of what makes those players so special? Gaudette is a professionnal and comes to camp in shape, and provides solid secondary scoring already after only 2 seasons. Let's not set incredibly high standards to our depth because our core is so damn special

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm the opposite....I LOVE the energy that he brings and sometimes that can spark others too.  He loves the game and it shows.   He's got 120 NHL games under his belt and is enjoying every second of it...wears his heart on his sleeve.  I'd rather have that than a half hearted player who feels "image is everything".

Yes, hard to be down on a player just because he gets excited to play. Certainly beats the alternative.

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, CrosbyGold said:

If you are referring to the video in this thread, it was his wedding for god's sake. If he can't celebrate that day without criticism, that's just wrong. 

Unless you are referring to something else?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1