The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette’s role as a Vancouver Canuck

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

I’d like to see them give him a try on Horvat’s wing. I think he’s a talented player who does a little bit of everything and brings energy. You never know. There have been plenty of examples of a player being drafted as a centre only to blossom when moved on to the wing. We’re fairly deep down the middle so no issue there. If it doesn’t work he can always move down and back to the middle. I feel talent needs to play with talent to maximize potential. Chemistry is important too but we haven’t seen him play with Horvat yet. If he has a decent camp I’m sure Jake will be given first opportunity to fill the vacant top 6 spot and Ferland could somehow end up healthy as well although I doubt it. Unless there’s magic, I’d like to see Gaudette get a shot at some point.

Gaudette's progression during evaluation at training camp will be telling.  I think management is still trying to groom him as a C but my guess is if his F/O doesn't improve during camp, then it will be hard to justify him keeping him there.  F/Os aren't everything but the way the team plays, they really need a good F/O taking RH C besides Beagle.  They have Miller/Horvat for the left and Sutter/Beagle for the right, but if Gaudette can fill in for Sutter in the future, then that would fill a team need.

Personally I don't think Gaudette is a great fit to take over for a two-way C role but it's certainly the path of least resistance for him to solidify a role in the NHL.  I agree with others who see Gaudette as likely having more success on the wing.  Gaudette's skillset has leaned far more towards offense however and while he's not a terrible defensive player, it hasn't seemed to be his strong suit.  Some of it might just be physical since Gaudette still looks like he needs to improve his physical strength.  If that improves, then it will mostly be whether he can process the game in that role at the NHL level.  The saying is that defense can be learned however, so this is where I guess we will see how quick a learner Gaudette is.

Gaudette has been an intriguing prospect for years and it's been neat to see him grow.  If Gaudette ends up being able to take on a larger 2-way role at C, then that will be amazing for the team as it will really address a team need.  Looking forward to seeing how this story line unfolds.

• Upvote 1