The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Gino Ojdick be in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Should Gino be in the ring of honour?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not many (at this point)...kind of working their way backwards and the first year had a few members inducted?  I believe...

Here we go:

image.png

thank you deb. don’t you think andre boudrias  should get a ring of honour spot. lumme? one day i’m sure luongo and edler will go on it. do you believe that gino is next? should there be an order? i’m not saying he shouldn’t there but when. i haven’t seen anyone on here start a quest to get boudrias in the ring. some of the old timers know how much he meant and how much the fans loved him.

Edited by smithers joe
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

thank you deb. don’t you think andre boudrias  should get a ring of honour spot. lumme? one day i’m sure luongo and edler will go on it. do you believe that gino is next?

Yep, I do.

I don't think it's going in order...the online community is currently pushing hard for this in a campaign that's being circulated at the moment and it's in response to that.  Which should be considered because who better to request someone be in than the fans out there?  The rumblings are due to that noise  on Twitter, etc. that's happening.

If he IS to be considered, with his future somewhat in question in terms of long term outlook wouldn't it be nice to honour him while he's still here?  Not  to consider him BECAUSE he's sick but doing it sooner rather than later with the knowledge of his illness and uncertain future?

I saw the gathering at the hospital when he was there....long after he stopped playing, he has earned the respect (and honour) of this city.  It's not a forced idea...it's happened organically.

I know the guy personally, great guy. Truly wears his heart on his sleeve. He has stuck around the canucks that’s why this conversation is happening. 

However, He does not deserve the ring of honor nor for his number to be retired.

He’s a true icon for aboriginal nations and deserves the recognition he has gotten. 

4 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I know the guy personally, great guy. Truly wears his heart on his sleeve. He has stuck around the canucks that’s why this conversation is happening. 

However, He does not deserve the ring of honor nor for his number to be retired.

He’s a true icon for aboriginal nations and deserves the recognition he has gotten. 

Your thoughts sort of contradict one another though.

if he's a heart on the sleeve guy who's stuck around and is a true icon and deserves the recognition....why not then?  That's what Ring of "Honour" represents.  He really has been a symbol of honour for this team.  

Can you list the reasons he "doesn't deserve" it?

29 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't feel it's just "fan favourites" though (for those who disagree with him being there).

He epitomizes "team"....he was a selfless player and he would put his own ass on the line for others.  That allows the more skilled guys to do their stuff...even if he didn't have the same level of skill they did.

It's not about his "health" for me (and others)....this isn't a pity campaign and in my mind, to suggest so is a little respectful.  Besides, he's doing well and his health isn't really an issue at the moment as he's managing things well.  To suggest that's why he's being mentioned misses the point.

The very word "honour" in ring of honour should be your clue.  He brought honour to the team.  And sometimes a team (like the '94 team) finds success because of the supporting cast as much as the stars.  The stars count on guys like Gino to take care of business so they can do what they do.  If your weakest links are strong it gives you a better overall chance.

Who would you suggest, Joe, in putting them in before Gino?  Curious.

You are spot on Deb

At first, when this question came up, I thought no, but the more I thought about it, the jersey retirement is for the greats, but the ring of honor is just that, "the ring of honor"

I would have said this earlier, but I was searching for the spelling of "epitomizes", which is exactly the word to describe Gino, he did exactly that, epitomized "TEAM".

I will never forget the game where he had his jersey ripped off, and he was skating around the ice still...........

I think the whole other team was saying "Wholly $hit!"................it was just as impactful as Bure going down the wing and scoring at full speed.

He made team mates play bigger

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yep, I do.

I don't think it's going in order...the online community is currently pushing hard for this in a campaign that's being circulated at the moment and it's in response to that.  Which should be considered because who better to request someone be in than the fans out there?  The rumblings are due to that noise  on Twitter, etc. that's happening.

i don’t know what is on twitter. that is right the fans push for it and good for them. i would just push for other heart and soul guys too. maybe because i remember the start. i’ld also like to see jim robson in the ring too. is the ring just fan driven thing or does the team have a pre determined plan?

• Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

This comment should not be understated

Gino not only was loved buy us white guys, but by our Chinese fans, and our Indy fans, etc........but most of all he gave pride to his aboriginal fans and community. He is an important man..........love his heart!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i don’t know what is on twitter. that is right the fans push for it and good for them. i would just push for other heart and soul guys too. maybe because i remember the start. i’ld also like to see jim robson in the ring too. is the ring just fan driven thing or does the team have a pre determined plan?

Oh that's understandable.

And I'd be right with you signing up for Jim Robson.  I still see him at games and always stop to "honour" him...I thank him (and address him as Mr. Robson).  I try not to bug him but as I head upstairs he sits right on the aisle and so we have a little "hello".  

That call will forever be etched on my heart and mind.  (I have a pen that, if you click the top to extend the nib has a recording of it that plays!).

There are many who could be included.  And why not?

• Like 1

Just thinking about Gino for a second, and I must say, I don't know if he won every fight, but I know he never lost one.........and there is a big difference in that

And he was not a Goon, as he never.......never, started a fight against someone who was lesser............big respect for the guy!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

This comment should not be understated

Gino not was loved buy us white guys, but by our Chinese fans, and our Indy fans, etc........but most of all he gave pride to his aboriginal fans and community. He is an important man..........love his heart!

gino was also important to native boys who needed a hero to help them develop into better persons. this is small to some people but through his addictions and kicking them, he helped a lot of them. it just saying he was loved by all, and his life and hockey career was a blessing to many. probably all those parts of his life, makes the ring of honour more deserved. well done gino. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Hello, I loved Gino, he was a fan favourite but not talented enough to make Ring of Honour?

Sorry because he is sick and made fans cheer he should not make Ring of Honour.... Where does it stop if you allow Gino on for fan favourite ?

Big Big NO... 

SO SO SORRY.....

I loved the style of game Gino played and his big heart for his teammates..

Hope your health gets better soon big tough Gino...

It's the Ring of Honour not the Ring of Talent...

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

35 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Your thoughts sort of contradict one another though.

if he's a heart on the sleeve guy who's stuck around and is a true icon and deserves the recognition....why not then?  That's what Ring of "Honour" represents.  He really has been a symbol of honour for this team.  

Can you list the reasons he "doesn't deserve" it?

Well the ring of honor is “used as a means to celebrate and acknowledge players who made a lasting impact on the franchise”

Even though he’s struck around regarding the team from a promotion aspect.  Gino has not made a significant impact on the franchise through time. Sure he’s a fan favorite and sure we all love the guy but that not enough because if it was, more players would be in the ROH.

Edited by #Canucks

25 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Well the ring of honor is “used as a means to celebrate and acknowledge players who made a lasting impact on the franchise”

Even though he’s struck around regarding the team from a promotion aspect.  Gino has not made a significant impact on the franchise through time. Sure he’s a fan favorite and sure we all love the guy but that not enough because if it was, more players would be in the ROH.

I'd say that, in consideration of all we're learning and striving to be, this will be a "lasting impact" on the franchise.

https://www.nhl.com/video/first-nations-night--puck-drop/t-277350912/c-65179403   

and

It's weird that, 25 years after the fact he's still generating this kind of ovation and following here?  Despite the "why's" in that...it is what it is.  And it is.

Respectfully...can I ask how you know him?  On a personal/friendly basis or in having met him via the team?

• Cheers 2

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I'd say that, in consideration of all we're learning and striving to be, this will be a "lasting impact" on the franchise.

https://www.nhl.com/video/first-nations-night--puck-drop/t-277350912/c-65179403

It's weird that, 25 years after the fact he's still generating this kind of ovation and following here?  Despite the "why's" in that...it is what it is.  And it is.

Respectfully...can I ask how you know him?  On a personal/friendly basis or in having met him via the team?

Had he not been brought through these promotional events before games, he would not receive the same ovation. People would forget/new generations would not know.  That’s reality. He is an old family friend. I know the Aquilini Family very well personally as well. Paolo & Luigi more than Francesco.

4 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Had he not been brought through these promotional events before games, he would not receive the same ovation. People would forget/new generations would not know.  That’s reality. He is an old family friend. I know the Aquilini Family very well personally as well. Paolo & Luigi more than Francesco.

I disagree, but that's ok.

New generations would likely forget most if it wasn't their promotion and, through that, legacy.  We tend to have short memory spans except for a few real stand outs.  So when it comes to paying respects and honouring players, it's ok to not talk about them daily.  To have promotional events that remind us...the fact that there are those events supports the fact that these players are honoured.  And that people show up, by the numbers, to celebrate them.  Decades after the fact.

The way people react to Gino is testament to how beloved he is in this city.  Even IF some don't remember...enough do.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

So if Gino was not sick would you still be putting his name up there??????

He was average play, good fighter and that made fans excited?

How about  Donald Brashear He was the best fighter in a Canucks jersey.. Now Gino was more popular and fan favourite.Fan Favourite all time cheering Harold would be my vote...

Sorry Rink of Honour  should not have Gino....

Loved watching him play..

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

How about  Donald Brashear He was the best fighter in a Canucks jersey.. Now Gino was more popular and fan favourite.Fan Favourite all time cheering Harold would be my vote...

Yes, I would put Gino up there regardless of illness.  I've said elsewhere that Gino and Tiger should be up there to honour the way they fought for their teammates but also their role in hockey which is now extinct.  The classic enforcer and the way they bled shouldn't be forgotten and the ROH is a great way to do that.

I've said for a while now that the ROH should include Brodeur, Odjick, Williams and Boudrias.  Hopefully nobody needs to get to sick for people to start thinking about it.  Unfortunately we missed our chance to put Boudrias up there when he could enjoy it.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, wildcam said:

52 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If you don't understand why, it's ok.  But that's your deal and there are many people out there who do.  Myself included.

Read the thread for a more thorough explanation.  It's not just "fighter" or "player".  Stats based.  It's courage.  Loyalty.  Leadership.  Commitment.  Involvement.  Heart.  Comradery.    Gino was involved in the community events and willingly participated...long before he was sick or promoting "self".  He promoted the team.  He was "all in" and it's what is needed and often infectious ON a team.  To have a guy with that level of passion and commitment...that stuff spreads.  And others felt 2" taller and 20 lbs heavier with Gino beside them out there.

FTR, I'm with the K Biestra up there....those guys sacrificed a lot to be part of the team and others were beneficiaries of their selfless acts...that sometimes linger long after they've left the game.  Sadly.

They were willing to "do what it takes".  That's a total team player that deserves recognition.  It's not a matter of either or...all of them can be mentioned.  But Gino's story is a little extra special, that's all.  And yes, how he's bravely fought illness and continued to put himself out there with his fans during it (when he could have shut it all down) is part of it.

I was there when they wheeled him out at VGH and it was inspirational.  His valiant fight is nothing to undermine...that's the spirit he carries within him and there's definitely honour in that courage and "fight".

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yes, I would put Gino up there regardless of illness.  I've said elsewhere that Gino and Tiger should be up there to honour the way they fought for their teammates but also their role in hockey which is now extinct.  The classic enforcer and the way they bled shouldn't be forgotten and the ROH is a great way to do that.

I've said for a while now that the ROH should include Brodeur, Odjick, Williams and Boudrias.  Hopefully nobody needs to get to sick for people to start thinking about it.

lol...lol..lol You could fill the Ring of Honour so fast, needs to be hard to get on the Ring of Honour...Sorry, lots of you fans have soft spot for Gino..

Up on Ring of Honour as fans cheered  for him lots because of excitement when his next fight or hit was???

Really????? Needs to offer more.... Gino fans have big hearts, very sweet...BIG NO TO RING OF HONOUR......

Edited by wildcam