The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Gino Ojdick be in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Should Gino be in the ring of honour?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, wildcam said:

lol...lol..lol You could fill the Ring of Honour so fast, needs to be hard to get on the Ring of Honour...Sorry, lots of you fans have soft spot for Gino..

Up on Ring of Honour as fans cheered  for him lots because of excitement when his next fight or hit was???

Really????? Needs to offer more.... Gino fans have big hearts, very sweet...BIG NO TO RING OF HONOUR......

No need to be condescending here.  If you don't agree, that's fine but it's your opinion (only).   lol...lol...lol and ????? do nothing to persuade some of us and actually do the opposite in a weak counter argument.

Why do we "honour" ANY player?  For various reasons...some statistically driven, others not.  It's a picture that's painted using many brushes, not just "a" brush.

So who do you support up there?  I'm curious.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

But he also knew that if the going got tough, he didn't have to "watch" his back...that Gino would.  This was initiated BY Bure ... Gino worked at making sure he didn't have to take dirty hits that put his focus on retaliating rather than scoring.  Obviously, it still happened on occasion as Bure was a guy that others team had to focus on.  I loved that Bure did this, but it's a dangerous game to play.  I'm glad he had Gino there to take the brunt of it....and he did.  Wish there was more of that these days...Petey might not have had to endure some of the crap he's already contended with.  Quinn too.  Every team needs a Gino...and he wasn't just "a goon".  He showed a little finesse at times, even if it came with help from others.

There's a story about a team (forget which one) going to Gino during a game and telling him to lay off (as he'd been focused on targeting their scorer and was running guys).  The reason?  They said if he kept it up they were coming for Bure.  So he was the messenger that they delivered that message to and, by way of that, had Bure's fate in his hands.  He garnered that attention and it obviously was getting to a team enough that they made it an issue.   

Just how it worked back then.

it was the leafs during 1994, they told him stop going after gilmore

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

thank you deb. don’t you think andre boudrias  should get a ring of honour spot. lumme? one day i’m sure luongo and edler will go on it. do you believe that gino is next? should there be an order? i’m not saying he shouldn’t there but when. i haven’t seen anyone on here start a quest to get boudrias in the ring. some of the old timers know how much he meant and how much the fans loved him.

Then you need to include Tiger Williams?

If the ones you mentioned are not on already, i think they want to keep it a very small select group

I voted no, and liked Gino and wouldn't be upset by his inclusion, but if he wasn't ill would there be this rush to include him?

if more people had seen boudrias play with great heart and soul, they would have loved him and would want to see him in the ring of honour. he was known as the super pest and even led the team in scoring. those early teams weren’t great, but him. kurtenback and quinn were. how many can go into the ring of honour?  boudrias was so loved by the fans.

how many fans of today ever watched boudrias play?

Edited by smithers joe
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if more people had seen boudrias play with great heart and soul, they would have loved him and would want to see him in the ring of honour. he was known as the super pest and even led the team in scoring. those early teams weren’t great, but him. kurtenback and quinn were. how many can go into the ring of honour?  boudrias was so loved by the fans.

Before my time but I'm all for including him based on the testimony of those who've watched him play.

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

Part of the original 1970 team with Kurtenbach.  Canucks captain.  His record for assists in a season stood for decades on end until Henrik Sedin.

Lesser known fact but right after Boudrias' time with the Canucks and right before Richard Brodeur's time with the Canucks they were teammates on the Quebec Nordiques and won the WHA's Stanley Cup together.  Beating Bobby Hull in the final to do it.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yep, I do.

I don't think it's going in order...the online community is currently pushing hard for this in a campaign that's being circulated at the moment and it's in response to that.  Which should be considered because who better to request someone be in than the fans out there?  The rumblings are due to that noise  on Twitter, etc. that's happening.

If he IS to be considered, with his future somewhat in question in terms of long term outlook wouldn't it be nice to honour him while he's still here?  Not  to consider him BECAUSE he's sick but doing it sooner rather than later with the knowledge of his illness and uncertain future?

I saw the gathering at the hospital when he was there....long after he stopped playing, he has earned the respect (and honour) of this city.  It's not a forced idea...it's happened organically.

hmm, thats actually a very good point.

i honestl

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

No need to be condescending here.  If you don't agree, that's fine but it's your opinion (only).   lol...lol...lol and ????? do nothing to persuade some of us and actually do the opposite in a weak counter argument.

Why do we "honour" ANY player?  For various reasons...some statistically driven, others not.  It's a picture that's painted using many brushes, not just "a" brush.

So who do you support up there?  I'm curious.

i honestly think ron delorme deseves a very serious look.

he has been with the canucks orginaztion for almost 30 years now, as a player and a scout.

he is very active with the indigenous community and speaks to youth on the reserves. sharing his story of breaking barriers in the sportwhile also encouraging youth to play sport as well.

%1000 yes for ROH. Get him there this upcoming season.

Well assuming there are fans in the stands, no one deserves to be honoured in an empty arena lol... Wait till when covid restrictions over but get him up there ASAP

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i agree, he will always be a favourite in our hearts but i think there are others that deserve to go in to it first. i may be wrong but that is how i feel. trouble is so many fans don’t know how many others were fan favourites in other eras. if the ring was just for fan favourites, there wouldn’t be a big enough ring for them all. in gino’s defense, snepts was a fan favourite and i believe he is there. what do i know? i’ld love to see tanti there.

I agree with your post...There were so many fan favourites,,,Big Harold was for sure #1, he did it all and was a decent player #3 D man would do it all and logged big minutes...

58 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i honestl

i honestly think ron delorme deseves a very serious look.

he has been with the canucks orginaztion for almost 30 years now, as a player and a scout.

he is very active with the indigenous community and speaks to youth on the reserves. sharing his story of breaking barriers in the sportwhile also encouraging youth to play sport as well.

There are so many that was my point earlier....You could circle the inside of Rink a few times with lots of players over the 50 years on Ring Of Honour !

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Its the Ring of Honour .... not the ring of fancy passers.... or the ring of fastest skaters....

So i am a YES for Gino to  enter Ring of Honour

Gino epitamizes what it is to be a true Canuck.  LOYALTY , HONOUR and Character.....   He is all all 3 in heaps...... 

Lots of Canucks players should be  a head of Gino...Start looking 50 years, lots of player played with passion, heart, character and team guys and there not on Ring of Honour.....Sorry loved Gino but he should not be up on Ring.....

No issues with him going in the ROH, but jersey retirement is an absolute no. 

As an aside I will say it really shows how sad this team has been with 50 years and no cup, only 3 finals appearances and the fanbase feels this constant need to add players to some sort of accolade club just to have something to celebrate and pretend we have a much more storied history than actually exists.

Edited by Bitter Melon

I wonder if we may not need another way to honor former players. Jersey retirement should be a rare thing, one could and some do argue that we have too many jerseys up there already. There's only so much room in the ROH as well. Maybe something like statues of former players outside the arena? 

But then again, we can't simply honor everyone in a tangible way. 

Edited by Coconuts