The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Gino Ojdick be in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Should Gino be in the ring of honour?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The ROH is for players who have had a lasting impact on the team. Gino probably fits in this category, he was my favorite back in the day.

I would do it, solely based on his overarching impact, he was loved by fans and players, he took care of Bure, he almost always shows up for special nights and alumni events.

I like your handle too.  Garth Butcher also was a heart and soul player - and like Linden did when he was traded, brought in some key players to push that team over the top.   Odjick was one of a small group of people that made a lasting impact in this organization in a way that wasn’t about putting up points. His first game he fought Manson and Grimson i believe...and never looked back, two of the top 20 enforcers/fighters of that era.   Almost as exciting for the fans at the time as watching Bures first game.   For those that remember what CAL roster looked like back then...let’s just say without Odjick we didn’t have a top fighter on our team to take on his buddy the Sandman (Sandy McCarthy)...Antoski was actually just as good but wasn’t here long.  Hunters best days were over...Mommesso was a gamer and got the job done but his role wasn’t the same - although he did an incredible job keeping Ronning safe.   

McSorely, DeBrusk, Dave Brown, Probert, Twist, Simon, Parker, Crowder, Twist, Bomber, Churla, Domi ....one could say that was the pinnacle or golden era of enforcers...sure a few were just goons (Twist and Parker) - but a lot of them could play the game too.   Manson was in two all-star games, Probert I think in one.   McSorely led the league once in plus minus - think it was 47.    Maybe the goons of the mid 2000’s might have been better fighters - given how supersized they became, but they weren’t as good at their role and it evolved its way out of NHL due to the sideshow aspect and concussion awareness.    That said it was the most exciting hockey I’ve ever watched - and honouring Odjick and Tiger would go a long way for a lot of fans of that type of hockey including me. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not that at all for me.

And you don't need to have a cup to have a storied history.  Those are bandwagon superficial fans who "wait" for the big moment and miss a whole lot in between.  This team is rich in history for some of us...tells our story.  If that doesn't apply to you, doesn't mean you speak for all of us. 

It's a sad team if you watch hockey only to gloat about winning.  If you watch for some damn good entertainment and to have something to share with family in a tradition that carries over, there's a lot more there than you're sitting on the sidelines for "a" moment.

Constant need?  Sure.

Thats just projection and strawmanning.

Edited by Bitter Melon

11 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Thats a lot of projection and strawmanning.

it really shows how sad this team has been with 50 years and no cup
only 3 finals appearances
and the fanbase feels this constant need to add players to some sort of accolade club
just to have something to celebrate
pretend we have a much more storied history than actually exists.

Uses words like:  sad, only, constant, some sort of club, just to have something, pretend, much more.  

If I'm projecting you may be dwelling and only seeing a half empty no cup. 

That's a whole lot of negativity and I reacted to it as such.  Mostly because "the fanbase feels" isn't yours to announce.  You're not "the fanbase"...you're but one of many of us (or maybe not?).   And no...it isn't all sorry sad sack stuff.  I've enjoyed the ride, immensely and do honour players who've been part of that over the years.  For me, Gino was one of them.   There's a reason people chant his name...doesn't really matter what it is.   They do.  This isn't about winning a cup or not. 

I don't feel the same way you do and that's perfectly ok.  But please speak to how YOU feel...that's the question here.  Not how we (the fanbase) do.

It's ok to have differing opinions and there really is no right or wrong in this.    Cheers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Uses words like:  sad, only, constant, some sort of club, just to have something, pretend, much more.  

Like you've just done.

If I'm projecting you may be dwelling and only seeing a half empty no cup. 

Exactly, the only reason I have an opinion you don't care for is because I'm a depressed loser. Or is it because I'm a bandwagoner, as you insinuated in the prior post?

Mostly because "the fanbase feels" isn't yours to announce.  You're not "the fanbase"...you're but one of many of us (or maybe not?).   And no...it isn't all sorry sad sack stuff.  I've enjoyed the ride, immensely and do honour players who've been part of that over the years.  For me, Gino was one of them.   There's a reason people chant his name...doesn't really matter what it is.   They do.  This isn't about winning a cup or not.

Really? Whats the point of this thread then? Whats the point of any polls at all. We obviously can't make any general statements about the fanbase based on polls undertaken by the fanbase.

Also, "Or Maybe Not?", which is it? You're back to insinuating I'm a bandwagoner, when before it was a sadsack who couldn't get over the team being terrible. Pick one.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:02 AM, wildcam said:

So if Gino was not sick would you still be putting his name up there??????

He was average play, good fighter and that made fans excited?

How about  Donald Brashear He was the best fighter in a Canucks jersey.. Now Gino was more popular and fan favourite.Fan Favourite all time cheering Harold would be my vote...

Sorry Rink of Honour  should not have Gino....

Loved watching him play..

Wanna tell us how much community work he did? How about the criminal charges? Not even worthy of consideration, and putting him on the same level as Gino is an insult.

Harold? as in Snepsts? He's already in there.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Okay, the sweater retirement has to be a joke.

But yes on the ROH.  Gino elevated our team. We were not pushovers when he was playing. He empowered others. We may never have seen Bure hand out a little on-ice justice on Churla if it weren't for Gino's influence.  And even though he brought the team a new found respect, he never lost his sense of humour. He never acted entitled. Never heard him complain about his ice time. He had one of the toughest jobs in hockey then.

As some are pointing out, its the Ring of Honour, not the Ring of Statistics.

The same reason Paul Henderson should be in the HHOF.   Its not called the Hockey Hall of Statistics.  Its fame that determines who enters. Some are famous for their on ice accomplishments over their whole career, Henderson is famous for the astounding winning goals in the last two games of the 72 Summit Series, when what was on the line was  our system vs their system.  It was proving, finally, that the big Red Machine that dominated the Olympic gold for so many years was because we had never sent our best, meaning NHL calibre players. And they trained all year together for the single purpose of proving Mother Russia was the best. We proved that even if at first we weren't gelling as a team, it only took a few weeks of playing together to come together as a team. What goal is more famous to Canadians?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Okay, the sweater retirement has to be a joke.

But yes on the ROH.  Gino elevated our team. We were not pushovers when he was playing. He empowered others. We may never have seen Bure hand out a little on-ice justice on Churla if it weren't for Gino's influence.  And even though he brought the team a new found respect, he never lost his sense of humour. He never acted entitled. Never heard him complain about his ice time. He had one of the toughest jobs in hockey then.

As some are pointing out, its the Ring of Honour, not the Ring of Statistics.

The same reason Paul Henderson should be in the HHOF.   Its not called the Hockey Hall of Statistics.  Its fame that determines who enters. Some are famous for their on ice accomplishments over their whole career, Henderson is famous for the astounding winning goals in the last two games of the 72 Summit Series, when what was on the line was  our system vs their system.  It was proving, finally, that the big Red Machine that dominated the Olympic gold for so many years was because we had never sent our best, meaning NHL calibre players. And they trained all year together for the single purpose of proving Mother Russia was the best. We proved that even if at first we weren't gelling as a team, it only took a few weeks of playing together to come together as a team. What goal is more famous to Canadians?

I always wore  #19 because of Paul Henderson

• Cheers 1

Gino should absolutely be in the Ring of Honour.  One of the most loved Canucks of all time.  Sometimes it's good not to have fixed criteria for things.  Normally you'd expect a higher skill and statistical level, but this is about heart and a different kind of contribution.  The connection between Gino and this fan base is special, and that's why he should be there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jersey retirement, not a chance.

ROH, absolutely.

He was a fan favorite on the ice and the battle he’s gone/going through off the ice, IMHO he should be a shoo-in. The jersey retirements should be for the superstars, the ROH for those loved by the fans and he was and still is.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/15/2020 at 9:27 AM, debluvscanucks said:

But he also knew that if the going got tough, he didn't have to "watch" his back...that Gino would.  This was initiated BY Bure ... Gino worked at making sure he didn't have to take dirty hits that put his focus on retaliating rather than scoring.  Obviously, it still happened on occasion as Bure was a guy that others team had to focus on.  I loved that Bure did this, but it's a dangerous game to play.  I'm glad he had Gino there to take the brunt of it....and he did.  Wish there was more of that these days...Petey might not have had to endure some of the crap he's already contended with.  Quinn too.  Every team needs a Gino...and he wasn't just "a goon".  He showed a little finesse at times, even if it came with help from others.

There's a story about a team (forget which one) going to Gino during a game and telling him to lay off (as he'd been focused on targeting their scorer and was running guys).  The reason?  They said if he kept it up they were coming for Bure.  So he was the messenger that they delivered that message to and, by way of that, had Bure's fate in his hands.  He garnered that attention and it obviously was getting to a team enough that they made it an issue.   

Just how it worked back then.

Actually that hit happened because Bure was being worked over and he got fed up.  I wouldn't say it was initiated by Bure, he wouldn't have done that under normal circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Laoag said:

Actually that hit happened because Bure was being worked over and he got fed up.  I wouldn't say it was initiated by Bure, he wouldn't have done that under normal circumstances.

Oh I know why it happened....my point was more that Bure likely retaliated knowing he had back up if needed.  He initiated a response.   I'm sure he acted on instinct and adrenalin...but he also knew Gino was there if things got too crazy.  Guys play bigger with an enforcer bff.

• Vintage 1

Absolutely LOVE the 'The Algonquin Enforcer'. However, very sorry to say, the answer is "no" on both accounts. Otherwise, we might as well honour another popular former Canucks enforcer, Tiger Williams who scored 35 goals one year and played a key role in the '82 Cup run. Scored the Canucks' first-ever playoff overtime winner with his OT winner in Game 2 vs Calgary.

Too bad Gino didn't get to stay in Vancouver for his entire career along with more success. A great quality guy who has given so much to others. What Gino needs is a clean bill of health so he can enjoy doing the things he enjoys in life. 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Absolutely LOVE the 'The Algonquin Enforcer'. However, very sorry to say, the answer is "no" on both accounts. Otherwise, we might as well honour another popular former Canucks enforcer, Tiger Williams who scored 35 goals one year and played a key role in the '82 Cup run. Scored the Canucks' first-ever playoff overtime winner with his OT winner in Game 2 vs Calgary.

Too bad Gino didn't get to stay in Vancouver for his entire career along with more success. A great quality guy who has given so much to others. What Gino needs is a clean bill of health so he can enjoy doing the things he enjoys in life. 

Why not both?  Agree he’d open a window  .... that said as far as I know only two names have ever been chanted  in our house and Gino’s was the loudest and the longest.   Wouldn’t it be nice if someone made a new chant for one of these kids.    Maybe Linden would get a longer applause.  But that’s about it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why not both?  Agree he’d open a window  .... that said as far as I know only two names have ever been chanted  in our house and Gino’s was the loudest and the longest.   Wouldn’t it be nice if someone made a new chant for one of these kids.    Maybe Linden would get a longer applause.  But that’s about it. 

Gino and Tiger are the two enforcers that should go up there.  There's no risk of slippery slopes or floodgates being opened.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh I know why it happened....my point was more that Bure likely retaliated knowing he had back up if needed.  He initiated a response.   I'm sure he acted on instinct and adrenalin...but he also knew Gino was there if things got too crazy.  Guys play bigger with an enforcer bff.

If this is about Churla.  Well nobody was doing anything about him and he’d been after him right off the hop.  Odjick saw more bench and press box during that run too, Antoski ( a better skater) saw more ice time...absolutely he knew the entire bench would back him up.  But it for me at least I don’t think it had anything to do with his best buddy, Churla just pissed him right off and he’d had enough. 

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Gino and Tiger are the two enforcers that should go up there.  There's no risk of slippery slopes or floodgates being opened.

Yep.  Nobody chanted Brashear’s name. Most (myself included) were a little peeved he’d taken his spot.   Sure he was a better fighter, and probably a better player too, but he didn’t have the same heart. 

And this in no way means I didn’t like Brash because I definitely did.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  Nobody chanted Brashear’s name. Most (myself included) were a little peeved he’d taken his spot.   Sure he was a better fighter, and probably a better player too, but he didn’t have the same heart. 

And this in no way means I didn’t like Brash because I definitely did.   

Brashear was like the Mogilny of fighters.  Very, very good at it but he didn't capture hearts.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Brashear was like the Mogilny of fighters.  Very, very good at it but he didn't capture hearts.

For sure I was glad we had him and excited to see him start with us too as had seen some of his highlights from the year before in MTL and could tell he was for sure up for the task.   Those guys had tough jobs, and during his time with us his reputation was created.   Felt sorry for Odjers,  DeVries and a few other of his opponents once it became obvious what he could do .... it was the long fuse later that kind of rubbed me the wrong way - for sure part of it was reputation (which he earned) ... but it seemed like he wasn’t that willing at times (understandable - even Gino did that too) and was maybe a little unsure of his role.  

Gino’s heart was gigantic sized, never a top fighter but more then willing most of the time.   Brashear was probably the best we ever had.   His “huggy bear” style was criticized, but anyone willing to battle him had heart, as did he for sure - just not inspiring the same way (and probably unfairly so).    Probert talked about fighting him and Laraque later in his career and how frustrating it was for him given they’d never really let anyone lose enough to just go for it.  “Butterfly kisses” I believe is the word he used for the little short grab and hook jabs.   Neither made the hardest puncher list in his books. 

Edited by IBatch