The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best NHL Defenseman All-Time

Rate this topic

IBatch

Top 25 Defenseman All-time   

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So far looks like Lidstrom is off to a fast start...Borque won a pile of Norris trophies against what I’d say the stiffest ever (including a prime Lidstrom) ...  Piled up points and made it ugly for anyone who came down his side - aside from Potvin who’d I’d have a level above both these guys,  no other player was equally as good on both sides of the puck then Borque except maybe Harvey and Shore whom I can only differ to the hockey historians about.   

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

I second this.

I actually had him on my first top 15...didn’t realize he slipped out - so I will also nominate him ... one of the best post 90’s exodus D’s left for the 2000’s.   Him and Pronger were one of the best one-two punches even at his age then. 

• Cheers 1

If the title was favourite Defenseman all-time as a teenager it was for sure Coffey.   Also on a loaded team - and was the only guy in history to challenge Orr’s records.   Imagine a D scoring 48 goals today?   Even with the 3.5ish% difference in SP .888 - 910ish between now and then that’s like 45 goals...not many players ever have managed what he and Orr did, and he’s the only skater that can glide and gain speed that I’ve ever seen.  Effortless, beautiful skating really, and the hands to do anything.   If he was a forward instead I truly believe he’d be in Gretzky/Mario territory.    Proved that he didn’t need EDM when winning his last Norris 10 years after his first in 1995.   15 all-star games ...  and 13th all-time in points (396 goals 1135 assists) ... that’s downright gaudy.   More then a PGP then any other D who played 1000 games, and second only to Orr in all offensive catagories.   Karlsson gave us a little taste of what it used to be like ...

And for those that believe players are way better the they used to...case in point a 37 year old Zubov who managed 50-55 points throughout the dead puck era exploded for 73 points at 37 after the lockout.   Couldn’t imagine what some of those old guys could do now without a redline and obstruction.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

harvey and red kelly and paul reinhart. loved macinnis and reinhart duo. lucky for calgary who had them both in their prime. 

Would have loved to see Kelly.  We will probably never see another defenseman moved up to center late in his career; i can't imagine the skillset he would have had to excel at both positions.

Shore is obviously going to be overlooked, but he is 100% top three IMO. Four Hart trophies don't lie.

It was between Shore and Harvey for me, so I voted for both. Bourque and Lidstrom would fight it out for fourth IMO.

EDIT: I changed mine to just Harvey for the sake of the honesty of poll results.

I'll nominate Pilote to be added to the list. Three Norris trophies and finished 2nd three times as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

He was awesome.  Blasting pucks accurately at over 100 mph with a wooden stick... Pronger and him might be the best defensive pairing all-time..

OH MacInnis, his accomplishments and performances are outstanding, He played the game so perfectly straight up in my eyes. 

His balance, spacing, IQ, shot, timing, power game were so good to me, even though I was never a Flames or Blues fan, I was definitely a Team Canada fan and he deserves his accolades there too.  

The Shot!  BOOOM ! and he actually got his howitzer off ,  I find it hard to admire any Flames player, but he's my guy.

Edited by Ms.Glitter

1 hour ago, nowhereman said:

Orr

Bourque

Harvey

Lidstrom

Shore

Hm: Potvin, Robinson

Bourque is my #2, although any one of the non-Orr top 5 has a case. Very close.

Of your implied top 7, my list has six of the same names. Looks like we're on the same page.