Sign in to follow this  
ZH96

[Proposal] Roster Solved-2020 Off-Season

On 11/22/2020 at 11:07 PM, the grinder said:

never mind the Loui stuff but Sutter to Washington ?? Washington doesn't have the cap space either , teams wont be taken  Loui Sutter or beagle off our hands  unless we are giving up a1st rounder or Hoglander or Podi and that isn't going to happen as per GMJB

Yes Sutter to Washington. They are currently working on trading D-man Nick Jensen and/or F Richard Panik to make cap room. And I read they were doing that in order to be able to add "3rd line help". Sutter is a solid veteran 3rd line type player. Unlike Eriksson and Beagle. Sutter is not exactly overpaid.. He has just been slightly injury prone. But he has value. He is an outstanding leader and example, he makes heady little plays all over the ice, he always moves his feet, he gets pucks in, he shoots often, he hits, he's decent in the faceoff dot, he can cycle well, and he put up a respectable 17 points in 44 games this season and 6 points in 17 games in the playoffs all while being leaned on to teach young players, block shots, kill penalties, and play tough situations. If Washington makes some cap room than Sutter is that 3rd line type piece they need and instantly makes them better. They might even be willing to go out of their way to clear cap space to acquire him.

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Yes Sutter to Washington. They are currently working on trading D-man Nick Jensen and/or F Richard Panik to make cap room. And I read they were doing that in order to be able to add "3rd line help". Sutter is a solid veteran 3rd line type player. Unlike Eriksson and Beagle. Sutter is not exactly overpaid.. He has just been slightly injury prone. But he has value. He is an outstanding leader and example, he makes heady little plays all over the ice, he always moves his feet, he gets pucks in, he shoots often, he hits, he's decent in the faceoff dot, he can cycle well, and he put up a respectable 17 points in 44 games this season and 6 points in 17 games in the playoffs all while being leaned on to teach young players, block shots, kill penalties, and play tough situations. If Washington makes some cap room than Sutter is that 3rd line type piece they need and instantly makes them better. They might even be willing to go out of their way to clear cap space to acquire him.

ya clear cap room because they are at max cap , washington maybe be looking for 3rd line help , but it wont be sutter when then can pick up a player near league minimum  for nothing , beside that they have Eller as their 3rd line center 

Any time I see something like a "mutual contract termination" in these proposals I have to question whether that's even going to happen. So if Eriksson says no what then? He has every right to say no so there's not reason to really think he'll accept that mutual termination. People seem to want to think a player is willing to sacrifice everything for the team. That's not a safe assumption.

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

ya clear cap room because they are at max cap , washington maybe be looking for 3rd line help , but it wont be sutter when then can pick up a player near league minimum  for nothing , beside that they have Eller as their 3rd line center 

It was reported they are looking for 3rd line help. They are at max cap but wanting 3rd line help is a factor as to why they want to move Jensen and/or Panik. If they wanted to get solid 3rd line type help for league minimum they would've re-signed RW/C Travis Boyd but they let Toronto grab him. The place they need 3rd line help is RW not C and Sutter can play RW well and has been basically playing there since we traded for him in 2015. Because they need Ovechkin on LW the only true RWers the Capitals have beyond T.Wilson and Oshie is Daniel Sprong and Garnet Hathaway. Sprong is largely raw, unproven, and inconsistent. And Hathaway barely holds an NHL 4th line job. Ever since Kovalchuk left and Free Agency happened the Capitals have had a hole. In my proposal I also had us retaining 25% of Sutters contract which is realistic as to what would happen in trading him. So for $3,281,250 the Capitals would be getting a true 3rd line RWer that adds elements they lack, a guy who's familiar with them (played them lots as a Hurricane and Penguin), has loads of playoff experience, is a leader, faceoff expert even when playing RW, shot blocker, penalty killer, and plays an Eastern Conference North-South style game that's good for 30 to 38 points.

Edited by ZH96

46 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Any time I see something like a "mutual contract termination" in these proposals I have to question whether that's even going to happen. So if Eriksson says no what then? He has every right to say no so there's not reason to really think he'll accept that mutual termination. People seem to want to think a player is willing to sacrifice everything for the team. That's not a safe assumption.

Then they bite the bullet for two years and buy him out or trade him packaged with an enticing prospect that does not have to be Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, or DiPietro (that would hurt the future harder than most think). Trade Eriksson with one of Lind, Focht, Rafferty, or Silovs plus a 2021 2nd and I bet a team takes his contract for what's only two seasons left. (They'd likely take it for this year and buy him out the next which is worth the price for us not having to take it for one more season. And would allow us to sign one, two, or even three of Hamonic, Vatanen, Hoffman, Athanasiou, etc).

Edited by ZH96

11 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Then they bite the bullet for two years and buy him out or trade him packaged with an enticing prospect that does not have to be Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, or DiPietro (that would hurt the future harder than most think). Trade Eriksson with one of Lind, Focht, Rafferty, or Silovs plus a 2021 2nd and I bet a team takes his contract for what's only two seasons left. (They'd likely take it for this year and buy him out the next which is worth the price for us not having to take it for one more season. And would allow us to sign one, two, or even three of Hamonic, Vatanen, Hoffman, Athanasiou, etc).

Again, this is speaking like it's "just that easy". Don't you think JB has already tried to trade Eriksson? We are talking about a flat cap scenario, meaning a lot of teams are not going to be able to afford that sort of package. This also means that the teams that can afford such a package have a ton of leverage. It would effectively be us begging them to take Eriksson which is not an ideal situation whatsoever. For example, Detroit has been accepting contracts but only if the other team will retain some of the money which is not what we want in this case.

As for buying out, we don't get a lot of cap relief from it at the moment. Maybe in his last year we will, but if you look at cap friendly and actually try to buy him out, it just makes things harder for us later on when we have Petey and Hughes and Demko and have to sign others. We only save $333K this year if we buyout Eriksson due to signing bonuses (and $2mil next year). He's not a contract that's feasible to buyout at this time. In his final year I can see it being tempting, but right now, not so much. We literally save more money from sending him to the minors, and that's only $1mil cap relief.

For the record, I want Eriksson gone as much as anyone else, but I don't think your options are as easy as you think, nor will they save us as much money as you may think. Considering what other teams are asking for, the max we can save off of any option here is likely half Eriksson's contract, and that's ONLY if another team agrees to it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ZH96 said:

You can only buy out players during certain windows.  The Canucks chose not to buy him out when the windows were open. So buying him out now isn’t an option.  They can next offseason.  

Benning is on record saying he won’t spend assets to move contracts. So that would appear to close off that approach as well 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 2:35 PM, ZH96 said:

It's not just reasons it's facts. Eriksson wants to play. And he knows the fact of what I pointed out and that's that he's 35 and already 70% declined. He does not want himself, his family, or his playing career to be in and finish in Utica. He and his agent asked the Canucks for a trade for a reason and they're not going to get their wish. Green found use in Eriksson for a while but that died off once injured players got healthy. Even with Toffoli, Leivo, Graovac, Goldobin, and Boucher gone, there is still no room to use him. Hawryluk was added, Baertschi will be coming back fresh, Podkolzin is coming and potentially Hoglander too. Michaelis, Gadjovich, Lind, and Ju.Bailey all will likely be given more looks this season. Not to mention Ferland could be back at the start of the season and another UFA forward might be signed still (Ie. Hoffman, Athanasiou, Duclair, Caggiula)

His agent was allowed to find out if a trade was available....not one team is interested in LE’s service - and for us it would mean 50% retention plus plus plus.   If Thornton and Spezza are getting league minimum deals, and nobody wants him at 3 million and the extras picks/prospects?   Why would he walk away from 5 million?   And I think it might be 4 his final season.   He’s virtually buy-out proof (and that window is closed anyways), next year too.  And why would we want to prolong the pain twice as long anyways, we’ve gotten this far.

The best thing would be to put him on the bus aka Ladd treatment - IF someone like Lind can take over his spot .  It’s almost a certainty next year anyways with Podz coming.   And with the entire season in doubt given the second wave, the best thing might just be to do nothing at all.   One more year of natural salary shedding.   League has the option to use a clause in the CBA and cancel the year.  

Yes a lot of chatter over the past two years on what to do with LE.   It’s been discussed a lot.   And there are good reasons not one of these proposals about him have gone anywhere.   And I pray to god JB has the stomach to keep waiting it out, don’t want to lose any of what we have left in the pool or large chunks of our future’s just to get out of it. 

On 11/25/2020 at 4:10 PM, qwijibo said:

You can only buy out players during certain windows.  The Canucks chose not to buy him out when the windows were open. So buying him out now isn’t an option.  They can next offseason.  

Benning is on record saying he won’t spend assets to move contracts. So that would appear to close off that approach as well 

And it’s the correct move.   We’ve seen what the Luongo recapture did to us - adding an extra year with a buy-out just closes the window a little when we need it wide open the most.   There’s enough coming in our pool to replace some of the expiring deals (Pearson - maybe even Edler if OJ is good enough) and pay for EP and QHs.   The age of our core won’t properly contend for two years or so anyways.   The next couple of years will be about growth and figuring out where to add and who to promote.