Sign in to follow this  
IBatch

All-time Greatest defenseman Round 3

Rate this topic

Third Greatest Defenseman All-Time   

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Congratulations Lidstrom, the people have spoken and I will shut-up, your the second best D ever to lace them up.   Sure nobody would mind him on their team and neither would I.    Don’t forget to nominate someone - Scott Niedermayer was the overwhelming omission last time.   To cut it down a little going to add him and guys who won multiple Norris/Harts over the years to go into round three.  Will add an “other” catagory if none of these guys work for you. 

Edit:  Sorry Al Mac .. I have a mental block on how to spell your name!  Added anyone from the previous poll who had any votes - that includes him and Pronger...don’t forget to nominate someone.   Going to go with Babych .. ok not yet - start with Pilote.

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Voted Robinson; nominating Konstantinov.  You still didn't spell Bourque or MacInnis right in the poll.

Thanks - rushing to get to dinner ... Ray and Al please forgive me! 

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Voted Robinson; nominating Konstantinov.  You still didn't spell Bourque or MacInnis right in the poll.

And also I’d be hard pressed not to pick Robinson as one of the few players I’d want to build a team around.   This summer I watched some of his highlights (and I was alive for his entire career) just for fun.   Man.    That guy could skate like the wind and score goals.  Or smash you.   Or stop a play.   Hedman is the closest thing to what we have in the game today minus the pugilence 

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And also I’d be hard pressed not to pick Robinson as one of the few players I’d want to build a team around.   This summer I watched some of his highlights (and I was alive for his entire career) just for fun.   Man.    That guy could skate like the wind and score goals.  Or smash you.   Or stop a play.   Hedman is the closest thing to what we have in the game today minus the pugilence 

Ask Dave Schultz how tough Robinson was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

And that’s when the “PHI Flu” left the Habs locker room forever. 

Edit:  What isn’t in the video is he proceeded to beat up each and every one of their tough guys one by one over the course of his arrival ...  Larry Robinson had as much or more impact into the arguably the greatest team ever assembled (and first on most lists) then Lafleur or Dryden or anyone else on their roster did. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Voting for Harvey, nominating Pierre Pilote, winner of three Norris trophies and runner up three times as well. I doubt many other players not on the list yet can say they've been 2nd or better in Norris voting six times.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  What isn’t in the video is he proceeded to beat up each and every one of their tough guys one by one over the course of his arrival ...  Larry Robinson had as much or more impact into the arguably the greatest team ever assembled (and first on most lists) then Lafleur or Dryden or anyone else on their roster did. 

And he could have been ours if we didn't like Jocelyn Guevrement and Bobby Lalonde more in the 1971 draft..............:mad:

Voted Harvey. Led his team to 6 Stanley Cups, including a record 5 in a row. He was before my time, but you have to respect Harvey. 
As a Devils fan, it pisses me off that Stevens is not on the list. While Harvey was the cleanest hitter, Stevens was the most devastating. 
However, it's hard not vote for Bourque. Although my Devils lost, I was happy Bourque finally won a Cup in his final season. It was a bittersweet moment for me, but Sakic passing him the Cup is one of the best moments of all time.

• Hydration 1

I voted Harvey

But

Not enough people seem to know exactly how good Denis Potvin was

My next 2 votes will be between Potvin and Bourque (leaning on Bourque)

I have seen all but Harvey and  Shore play

Funny how Neidermayer, is so high up, when in reality, although good not great.....I guess it is who you've seen that impacts.....no judgement, just observation

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I totally remember that, and totally remember how when he pointed to the guy after fight Schultz............if I remember rightly, he said "And you're next!" it was at that point everything slowed right down..................

Robinson, just leaned against the boards staring at Dupont and Ashbee......................it was pretty funny actually

I was a Boston fan in those days, and hated the Habs, but I loved Larry Robinson

I remember the deep respect Larry Robinson and Terry O'Reilly had for each other.....they fought more than a few times.....both spoke very highly of each other

I am not sure either really won, and probably both thought they had lost, the next day! Ouch!

Larry Robinson is way high on my list too! Loved the guy!

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Voted Harvey. Led his team to 6 Stanley Cups, including a record 5 in a row. He was before my time, but you have to respect Harvey. 
As a Devils fan, it pisses me off that Stevens is not on the list. While Harvey was the cleanest hitter, Stevens was the most devastating. 
However, it's hard not vote for Bourque. Although my Devils lost, I was happy Bourque finally won a Cup in his final season. It was a bittersweet moment for me, but Sakic passing him the Cup is one of the best moments of all time.

He was not before my time and I can tell you he was a great player and well deserving of your vote. He was Bobby Orr before there was a Bobby Orr. He qb'd what was probably the best PP in NHL history. Richard, Beliveau, Geoffrion, Olmstead and Harvey would routinely score 2 or 3 goals on a 2 minute PP and were the reason the NHL changed the rule to only having 1 goal permitted on a 2 minute PP..

His coach, Toe Blake, always considered Harvey to be a better player than Orr.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Robinson wasn't just legit tough, he was also a legit diplomat.  Look how he managed to cool-off Tiger Williams when the later went ape**** at the end of a game:

He essentially told Williams "yeah, you guys were jobbed, but don't go nuts over it....let's go fishing later ok?".   Or something essentially like that (I'm not kidding, Tiger Williams told this story).

Robinson = class.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

I take it you nominate Stevens ... if you go back to the first entry you might be pleasantly surprised to see his name was on it ... nobody voted for him, and I paired down the list to those who got votes or had multiple Norris trophies/Harts (aside from EK...he’s not in the HHOF...yet). 

Edited by IBatch

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I take it you nominate Stevens ... if you go back to the first entry you might be pleasantly surprised to see his name was on it ... nobody voted for him, and I paired down the list to those who got votes or had multiple Norris trophies/Harts (aside from EK...he’s not in the HHOF...yet). 

Didn't even notice he got removed.  Change my nomination to Stevens then.

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Voting for Harvey, nominating Pierre Pilote, winner of three Norris trophies and runner up three times as well. I doubt many other players not on the list yet can say they've been 2nd or better in Norris voting six times.

A.J. I would never take anything away from Pilote as he was a very good player but those 6 seasons were not amongst the strongest ones in NHL history for defensemen.

The 3 years he finished 2nd in the Norris the winners were Harvey (when he was 37), Jacques Laperriere and Harry Howell. The 3 years he won the 2nd and 3rd place voting went to Lapperriere and Gadsby (1965), Horton and Vasko (1964) and Carl Brewer and Horton (1963).