The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it a sport? [Poll]

BoKnows

Sport?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Darts should be a sport. Anything you can do with skill while pissed to the gills should be up there with golf. 

Golf is probably the hardest sport I've played.  Doesn't take much physically but the mental game is something else.

• Cheers 2

Just now, BoKnows said:

Golf is probably the hardest sport I've played.  Doesn't take much physically but the mental game is something else.

I like mini golf, and going to a driving range, but never got the bug for the full game. 

Running:  yes

Bowling:  yes

Golf:  yes

Poker:  Hell no

Darts: No

Pool: No

Anything that gets you out and moving around I consider a sport.  Some aren't "intensity sports"...but they're still things that offer a competitive element and get people moving around.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

As a teenager my friends and I used to run from the cops just to make them chase us.

Steveston beach parties were great because the cops would show up and you'd see a hundred party goer's run off in different directions.  The cops odds weren't good.  They were on foot and didn't have ATV's (even if they did, good luck with that).

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Funny the poker argument basically could be applied to golf, curling, darts even auto racing but all those are on sports channels.  I am not advocating that poker be a sport but I respect that game far more than golf.  I think the allure of both activities is that anyone can do it, but golf has this fantasy like allure that the people that play it are athletes therefor if I play it I am one too.

Inb4 'Those golfers are more jacked than you'

So what?  They don't need to be.  Any sport where a 14yo female (Michele Wei) can compete with grown men certainly doesn't have a strength requirement.  

Golf, Poker and E Gaming all have one thing in common and that is an astronomical money per physical exertion ratio.

• Wat 2

6 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Funny the poker argument basically could be applied to golf, curling, darts even auto racing but all those are on sports channels.  I am not advocating that poker be a sport but I respect that game far more than golf.  I think the allure of both activities is that anyone can do it, but golf has this fantasy like allure that the people that play it are athletes therefor if I play it I am one too.

Inb4 'Those golfers are more jacked than you'

So what?  They don't need to be.  Any sport where a 14yo female (Michele Wei) can compete with grown men certainly doesn't have a strength requirement.  

Golf, Poker and E Gaming all have one thing in common and that is an astronomical money per physical exertion ratio.

I don't know if this is a bigger dig at golf, women, or Michelle Wie.  In either case, Wie has been a career disappointment.  Injuries and general inability sent her career into a spiral.  But she was young, pretty, American, and had a good drive.  I don't get why you're using her as an example.

Yes you can golf at a high level into your 50s, but the sport sure takes a toll on the body.  You cannot make the argument for poker as it requires zero physical ability or hand-eye coordination.  You would have to make the case that chess is also a sport.

For me sports must simply require physical ability to the point where it can cause a strain on the body, as well as mental competition.  Curling qualifies.  Golf qualifies.  E-sports makes it.  Darts and pool do not.  Chess and poker certainly do not.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Running:  yes

Bowling:  yes

Golf:  yes

Poker:  Hell no

Darts: No

Pool: No

Anything that gets you out and moving around I consider a sport.  Some aren't "intensity sports"...but they're still things that offer a competitive element and get people moving around.

My perspective is similar but both your bolded points would need to be in place for me to be called a sport.
e.g. unless you're race running I don't see running in and of itself as a sport.  Even "racing to beat your own time" without any stakes doesn't qualify.  

Wonder what people think about dodgeball?  I have a friend who doesn't think it is.

Same question for ultimate frisbee (not just standing and tossing around)

Edited by Phil_314

15 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

My perspective is similar but both your bolded points would need to be in place for me to be called a sport.
e.g. unless you're race running I don't see running in and of itself as a sport.  Even "racing to beat your own time" without any stakes doesn't qualify.  

Wonder what people think about dodgeball?  I have a friend who doesn't think it is.

Same question for ultimate frisbee (not just standing and tossing around)

I think dodgeball and ultimate frisbee are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1