The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it a sport? [Poll]

BoKnows

Sport?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I just like to watch it for the announcers. 

*British accent*

“Two hundred and foooooooooorrrrrtttttttyyyyyyyyy...”

exactly. Add cowbells and then it would really be something special. 

• Cheers 1

A friend of mine has a set of rules to determine what is a sport and what isn't. I don't remember them all, but some of the rules included it must require a level of athletic skill, have direct competition against an opponent, and the ability for all teams to score at any time. For instance, according to the last rule, baseball is not a sport.

On 11/23/2020 at 4:54 PM, debluvscanucks said:

Running:  yes

Bowling:  yes

Golf:  yes

Poker:  Hell no

Darts: No

Pool: No

Anything that gets you out and moving around I consider a sport.  Some aren't "intensity sports"...but they're still things that offer a competitive element and get people moving around.

How can you consider bowling a sport, but not darts or pool?

In bowling, you pick up a 10-20 pound ball, toss it at 10 targets, and sit down. That’s literally what you’re doing in darts, minus the ball. It’s also more challenging to throw a dart at the exact number on the dart board, than throwing a strike in bowling. I mean, I’ve gotten a turkey in bowling 4 times, but I’ve never gotten 180 on a dart board, ever.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

How can you consider bowling a sport, but not darts or pool?

In bowling, you pick up a 10-20 pound ball, toss it at 10 targets, and sit down. That’s literally what you’re doing in darts, minus the ball. It’s also more challenging to throw a dart at the exact number on the dart board, than throwing a strike in bowling. I mean, I’ve gotten a turkey in bowling 4 times, but I’ve never gotten 180 on a dart board, ever.

Bowling gets your heart rate up....darts and pool are more idle/stationary and really don't.   I base it more on movement than competition.  You're using your big muscle groups in bowling.

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Bowling gets your heart rate up....darts and pool are more idle/stationary and really don't.   I base it more on movement than competition.  You're using your big muscle groups in bowling.

Clearly you never seen a professional game of darts.

Yes. Darts is a sport. England, United States, Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Germany, and Belgium have recognized darts as an official sport. Although it is possible to play as a hobby (as with most sports), darts requires players to be well-aimed and to compete at a high level. 

• Cheers 1

Poker is a game not a sport. Doesn’t make it any less skilled just not a sport.

Darts I’m torn on as it’s a game but with the dexterity element that is common in sports, so would just put it in as a sport. 

running is a sport when competing against an opponent 

When I think of sports, I think of a competition where you can practice and improve physically through repetition, whether the increase is in strength, accuracy, etc.  

For example, lifting weights can improve your score in golf, baseball and even bowling.  But no matter if you can only lift 5 lbs or lift 500 lbs... it's not going to make a difference for chess or poker.  

Darts and pool I would consider as a sport, as you need to harness your physical ability to pull of whatever shot or throw.  

Edited by Lancaster

• 2 weeks later...

What about croquet or lawn darts?

Laff GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

What about wrestling WWwhatever style? They are not competing. They're just putting on a show with a pre-determined winner! I think the competition element separates physical activities, sports entertainment, and exercises from sports.

Pool can definitely be a sport in some of the bars I played in. It can morph into a foot race and/or a mma style fight if you don't pay the bet you just lost.

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 12:54 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Running:  yes

Bowling:  yes

Golf:  yes

Poker:  Hell no

Darts: No

Pool: No

Anything that gets you out and moving around I consider a sport.  Some aren't "intensity sports"...but they're still things that offer a competitive element and get people moving around.

what about snooker? For me its like darts in that's its a pub game

On 12/12/2020 at 2:32 AM, RWMc1 said:

What about croquet or lawn darts?

Laff GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

What about wrestling WWwhatever style? They are not competing. They're just putting on a show with a pre-determined winner! I think the competition element separates physical activities, sports entertainment, and exercises from sports.

Pool can definitely be a sport in some of the bars I played in. It can morph into a foot race and/or a mma style fight if you don't pay the bet you just lost.

WWE isn't that glorified acting? With stunts

On 11/25/2020 at 7:45 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Waiiiiitttt... if darts and pool aren't sports because of how stationary you are, how does golf qualify?  Sure you're following through and using some back muscle when you drive, but you also technically do when you shoot the ball and load up your wrist when you throw a dart.  Also idk if walking down a fairway is getting your heart rate up