• Chelios
    • Leetch
    • Stevens
    • MacInnis
    • Niedermayer
    • Pronger
    • Chara

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/26/2020 at 09:44 PM

Congratulations Bourque, arguably the best all-around or “Gordie Howe” of D ever.   Not a lot of nominations ... Pilote and Stevens (on the first poll) had enough interest so will add them both. 

So far:

1. Orr

2. Lidstrom 

3. Bourque 

Nice list of D’s ... Harvey received the next highest votes - for sure he revolutionized the position during his era, and Orr opened the floodgates. 

Nominate:  Going to go recent on this one and nominate Erik Karlsson.    At this point he’s almost done enough for HHOF consideration, but going to postulate that by the time he’s done will retire with over 1000 points and be considered the best defenseman of his era.   Injuries threw a wrench into his prime ... Says he’s 100% never better now (won’t be the first to say that). ... only guy other then Orr, Potvin and Coffey to be top ten in league wide scoring three times.   He’s in his prime now still, and if he gets his mojo back could be pushing all the new kids hard on their way to their first Norris trophy.   All the stats back up that he’s dominant on both ends of the ice when healthy, and the eye test does too.   Only Pronger has managed more as a D IMO the past 20 years when it comes to how much one defenseman impacted their teams future.   OTT had no business going to the final, yet were only a couple goals away from that - which started and ended with Erik Karlsson.   Was also robbed of a third Norris. 

Edit:  Also changed the poll so it’s not public.   Viewers - no judgement, vote away!

Edit: Janishockey has pointed out a glaring omission in Park...changing my nomination to Brad Park, sorry EK, maybe next time. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Voted for Leafs legend Leetch.

Nominating Chara

Chara, Langway  and Robinson deserve their one wing in the HHOF as far as defensive D’s  go...

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Voted Robinson again and nominating Chara again.

Oops think I will add him to the poll now...might of also had two nominations last time...

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1

Nominating Pilote again. Voting for Doug Harvey, the seven-time Norris winner.

EDIT: Nominating Red Kelly instead, since Pilote is already a voting option.

Upon considering more data, I've also decided to change my vote to Shore.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Voted Potvin.

Nominate two time Norris Trophy winner, three time Stanley Cup champion, Conn Smythe winning, Duncan Keith... 

:bigblush:

Sacrilege! 

But honestly, he does need to be considered fairly soon.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Also, @IBatch, have you decided how long the series will go for? I'm making a list of my top defensemen now and I'm not sure how long I should make it.

I’d be happy to go all the way to 25 for or beyond and long as we have enough hockey enthusiasts interested.   Was thinking top 25 when it started but then realized we wouldn’t have a Canuck yet in there....Babych and Reinhart would be closing in though.   

Edit:  That said will go to the top ten regardless of interest and and then maybe if it’s waning will just change the thread to top 25 all-time and anyone who’s interested could make their list and join in.   Not seeing nearly the traction of your top 50 Canucks - that was probably the best Covid/NO hockey relief I’ve had all year.  Some excellent discussion and a lot of insights too.   This is a Canucks site so get that debating other NHL D’s isn’t as fun for a lot of folks.   But I’m sure there is a lot of folks that wouldn’t mind paying their respects either.   Some of the better defenseman all-time I wasn’t that happy about during various parts of their careers...

Chelios in 95, after our cup run pretty much sucked the wind right out of our sails.   F!ck Chelios for that.   Pronger was a grade A d!ckhole the way he played the game - but was sure happy to see him during international play.   The media and fans fell in love with Doughty in 2014 and it sickened me a little after they beat us and won a cup.  Little miss can’t do wrong for 2-3 years at the time. And of course Keith’s elbow won’t be forgiven ... maybe ever ha ha.    And a long time ago Potvin’s NYI steamrolled us (well not quite ... but it was sad). 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The Harvey voters from previous rounds convinced me.  Nominating Konstantinov.

Again Konstantinov was their best D at the time.   Didn’t like watching us lose to them in 2002 - but we were lucky he wasn’t around anymore.   Sad for them.   Mad respect for the way he played the game ... and astounding plus 60 in 1996 the year before they won a cup.   Detroit was very good for years before they won in 97...and he was a big part of that. 

• Cheers 1