Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning re-sign Mikhail Sergachev

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And what about Cirelli?

You know, he might get traded for a prospect of equal value

They are 1.9 M over with Sergachev

Cernak at 2.5

and they are at 4.4 Million over

or if they trade Cirelli for a blue chip prospect....and they will get that...or at least a very good one

then maybe Johnson + 2nd and they are clear

Not much damage really............but that would be with a 19 man roster, and only 6 Dmen

so add Foote at 925,000 and they are at 5.325,000 over before clearing Johnson out

so maybe it is Palat? (5.3 M) instead of Johnson

If it is Palat...they save their 2nd and get back a 2nd or 3rd

sorta like Schmidt

Edited by janisahockeynut

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know, he might get traded for a prospect of equal value

They are 1.9 M over with Sergachev

Cernak at 2.5

and they are at 4.4 Million over

or if they trade Cirelli for a blue chip prospect....and they will get that...or at least a very good one

then maybe Johnson + 2nd and they are clear

Not much damage really............but that would be with a 19 man roster, and only 6 Dmen

so add Foote at 925,000 and they are at 5.325,000 over before clearing Johnson out

so maybe it is Palat? (5.3 M) instead of Johnson

If it is Palat...they save their 2nd and get back a 2nd or 3rd

sorta like Schmidt

No one wanted Johnson for free I doubt a 2nd is gonna entice them.

No teams are in a hurry to add contracts with the current economic landscape. If Tampa Bay wants to unload a vet like Johnson it’s gonna cost a 1st plus a guy like Foote. I doubt any teams are looking to help out the Stanley cup champs.

They’re gonna try to dump Palat or Killorn but that may be hard to do. And do they even wanna be traded?

Tampa is still in a very tight spot. It’s not as easy as making a couple moves like the ones you proposed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

4.8 million annually seems fair at best, but I feel it's a bit overpriced in this market.

4.8M is overpriced for a legit top 4 defensemen?

Sergachev was 2nd on the team in total ice-time in the regular season and playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

That is a pretty shallow way to look at it.  Sergachev is a much better all around defenceman who can't just be measured by his offensive numbers.  He brings more in all the areas Hughes brings less.

It should really be quite a good comparable to use.

If we could actually get Hughes at a $5-5.5 million bridge deal and Petterson at a $6.5-7 million bridge deal, we would be in pretty good shape to ride out our veteran contracts expiring.

He was on the 3rd pairing on the best team in hockey.  Not saying he isn't a good player but  his situation is much different to Quinn.

Quinn as a rookie is already considered by many as a top 15 dman who showed in the playoffs (when healthy) he not only could handle top line minutes and matchups but thrived at it. The fact all 3 teams play a physical style made it even more impressive.

• Wat 2

13 minutes ago, shiznak said:

4.8M is overpriced for a legit top 4 defensemen?

Sergachev was 2nd on the team in total ice-time in the regular season and playoffs. 

Covid, Tampa tax benefit, RFA. I thought he would come in closer to 4 million.

12 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

He was on the 3rd pairing on the best team in hockey.  Not saying he isn't a good player but  his situation is much different to Quinn.

Quinn as a rookie is already considered by many as a top 15 dman who showed in the playoffs (when healthy) he not only could handle top line minutes and matchups but thrived at it. The fact all 3 teams play a physical style made it even more impressive.

He had over 250+ minutes on the team (only Hedman had more minutes)........hardly 3rd pairing minutes.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Covid, Tampa tax benefit, RFA. I thought he would come in closer to 4 million.

Are you saying every player signed this off-season should have taken a paycut because of COVID-19?

I’m sorry as an employee that doesn’t really work that way, especially in this field of work. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I do believe moving a veteran is the plan.  

But I also believe that Bowman had no intention of having to move Teravainen? Until he did... 

In a parallel universe? I do not believe Benning would have had Tanev or Markstrom walk. Until he did...

Like you quote Brisbois, Benning was quoted as Markstrom being a priority? That he wanted to sign Tanev. And that they were going to talk, and make a deal work.  

Covid happened, the salary cap freeze took place.  Large chunks of planning everywhere fell apart.

Maybe Tampa's GM will be the so cool, he could make plays with a cigarette handing out of his mouth?  As Bieksa alluded about CT. But I would be surprised. Shocked in fact!  If they, like us? Like most teams don't have casualties.  I cannot envision them pulling off the perfect storm.

If ever the Canucks face a cap crunch no one expects that Benning will consider moving Hughes, Pettersson or any other young core player - he'll pay what it takes to move a vet to create the cap room.  Same situation for Tampa - Brisebois explained right after the finals that Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev are key parts of their future and players they have to keep if they want to win another Cup.  

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/mikhail-sergachev-inks-new-three-year-deal-with-tampa-bay/c-319716046

As for Cirelli and Cernak, BriseBois said he'll have to move players to create enough cap space to sign both valuable restricted free agents but he's confident he'll be able to do so and has no doubt both will remain members of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Just like Sergachev

"There's significant will on our end to make that happen considering how valuable those players are to our organization and how big a role that they're already playing but that I expect them to continue to play and have that role grow over the next few years," BriseBois said. "They're a big part of why I look at our organization and our organization's future with a lot of optimism. It's because to have a good team, you need good players. You need a lot of them, and these three players are just scratching the surface. So not keeping them was never something that we would seriously consider."

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Okay now it’s either Cirelli or Cernak that need to go along with a Johnson, Palat, or Killorn trade.

Yes I agree Tampa had 4 million cap to spend, they have dome that now...So Tampa have 2 very young talented players to sign, Cernak 23, Top # 3 defensive D man and Cirelli 23 excellent young forward... 

Cernak 23, 6'3 #4 D man -- would look great in Vancouver ---- 2yrs  X 3 million

Cirelli, 23; 6'3 Defensive forward very talented -- 2 yrs X  3 million

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Are you saying every player signed this off-season should have taken a paycut because of COVID-19?

I’m sorry as an employee that doesn’t really work that way, especially in this field of work. 

I'm not saying every player must, but the market has changed due to covid. There has indeed been many players that have taken paycuts this year and the ones that got pre-covid value now are the lucky ones. That's why I said that this deal is fair at best, but in this market it's a bit overpriced.

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Ummm... Sergachev played over 20 minutes a game and was one of their top minute guys on the entire team.  He was not a 3rd pairing guy.

Quinn also did not play the “tough matchups”, that was Edler. 

The daylight between Sergachev and Hughes isn’t anywhere near what you are saying.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Someone needs to offer sheet both Cirelli and Cernak.  Tampa couldn't match unless they cleared cap space.  They can only be over the cap by 10% in the offseason.  They have just over $6 million left to hit that number.  One team offer sheets Cirelli and another offer sheets Cernak.  Why do these guys any favours?  If Brisebois wants to keep his young core together then he needs to give up a good portion of his 2021 draft in order to do it.

If any team in history was prime for an offer sheet it's Tampa Bay right now.

13 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

It’s a decent deal, but it’s also heavily backloaded, meaning in three years he needs to be qualified at the final years salary of $7.2 mil. Similar how Boeser will have a high qualifying offer.

That rule has changed now, I forget what it is exactly, but surely someone will know. It won't be as much.

20 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

It’s a decent deal, but it’s also heavily backloaded, meaning in three years he needs to be qualified at the final years salary of $7.2 mil. Similar how Boeser will have a high qualifying offer.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

That rule has changed now, I forget what it is exactly, but surely someone will know. It won't be as much.

New rules state qualifying offers for RFAs are now 120% of the previous contracts AAV. 120% of 4.8M equates to a qualifying offer of 5.76M.

So it doesn't matter if it is backloaded/frontloaded. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

New rules state qualifying offers for RFAs are now 120% of the previous contracts AAV. 120% of 4.8M equates to a qualifying offer of 5.76M.

So it doesn't matter if it is backloaded/frontloaded. 

It's actually still the last base salary but there's now a cap at 120% of the AAV.    

For example, Virtanen's last base salary is 3M - that's his qualifying offer and not 3.06M which is 120% of his AAV.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

It's actually still the last base salary but there's now a cap at 120% of the AAV.    

For example, Virtanen's last base salary is 3M - that's his qualifying offer and not 3.06M which is 120% of his AAV.  

So even if it's backloaded it is only 120% of the AAV maximum limit. 

That might entice young players to do backloaded deals in order to get the maximum limit.

Is there a minimum limit? Like if the qualifying offer has to be 100% of AAV or something like that?