The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What does Barzal sign for? (Poll/Discussion)

How much does Barzal sign for?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tkachuk-like deal. 3 years around 7M each. A 3 year deal would mean Barzal would still be an RFA since he'd be 26 with only 6 years experience. Would give him a roughly 8.4M qualifying offer with the new rules(120% of AAV).

Similar to Boeser's contract which is a big raise bridge deal. Same sort of deal I would like to see Petey/Hughes sign for.

• Cheers 1

7.2ishM for 3 years, Isles are in a bit of a weird spot where the only bigger money contracts coming off over the next couple years belongs to defensemen I figure they'll want to retain in Leddy and Pulock. Though I could be wrong, but even if I am they'd be better suited to spend that money on replacements. 

Three seasons would take him right to where Ladd's deal expires, a portion of Ladd's money would likely just go towards Barzal's next contract. This is assuming they don't just buy Ladd out. 

Edited by Coconuts

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 2:41 AM, CanucksCountry said:

I am guessing some where near the Aho contract I'd guess maybe 7.9 Mill for 3 years given the world right now which wouldn't be necessarily a bad thing for us with Pettey's contract being up next year 

Have to remember it is a flat cap or worse to come time, possibly for the next 5 years.

Canucks could offer up a Boeser type contract that is very heavy at the end and keep the cap hit down.

IMO both Petey and Hughes are just barely NHLer's as far as time goes, a little hard ball can be made up later on the next contract.

a 26 million 4 year deal with and avg of 5.5 mil should be easy to do, for both.

Barzal and Lamorello, he let Taveras go and has a rep as a hard liner, none of his contracts have been top heavy except Kovalchuk's and that ended up not bad either.

I see Barzal sitting for awhile and then 5.5 mil average for 3 years so he is still a RFA.

On 12/10/2020 at 4:48 PM, Lazurus said:

Have to remember it is a flat cap or worse to come time, possibly for the next 5 years.

Canucks could offer up a Boeser type contract that is very heavy at the end and keep the cap hit down.

IMO both Petey and Hughes are just barely NHLer's as far as time goes, a little hard ball can be made up later on the next contract.

a 26 million 4 year deal with and avg of 5.5 mil should be easy to do, for both.

Barzal and Lamorello, he let Taveras go and has a rep as a hard liner, none of his contracts have been top heavy except Kovalchuk's and that ended up not bad either.

I see Barzal sitting for awhile and then 5.5 mil average for 3 years so he is still a RFA.

I’m not so sure.   He’s the young backbone of a team that’s coached team defense first, and seems to get it done, without feasting on the PP like a lot of stars - blue chip first liners do.    Maybe he fits it to the Morrison/Gomez Calder winner category, as in the best or at least most productive season happened his rookie year, maybe he doesn’t.    But hard to see him getting less then BB and Mier etc, even with Covid and a year or two between contracts.     You could be right though.   

On 12/10/2020 at 1:48 PM, Lazurus said:

Check your math. $26m over 4 years is $6.5aav 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

He should sign for 7.3m x 5. If the isles pay him tho they will request he adds two years on. Increase their odds at success over the next seven years. Which is a fair compromise since we know Lou will aim lower with aav. Barzal could get more from another gm I'm sure but Lou won't budge.

Edited by Rush17