The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mountain Bikers Anonymous

JustRich

I started on a crappy hardtail in my early 20s (I'm 48 now) at the Delta Watershed when it was fun to ride there. But pretty soon I fell head over heels in love with snowboarding and I didn't get back into riding until my neighbour sold me his 2005 Scott Nitrous 42lb freeride bike. He took me on Snakes and Ladders at Woodlot. This was about 12 years ago and I've been riding ever since, splitting my time between Woodlot and Burke (funnily enough they are equidistant from my house). I rode downhill bikes for far too many years. Then about 4 years ago I bought my first enduro bike, and first brand new bike ever. A 2016 YT Capra AL Comp 1. Man that bike sure changed how I rode. Made me a better and more confident rider. Three years ago I upgraded to my current bike, a 2016 YT Capra CF Pro, which is lightning fast (on descents, not ascents lol) and can crush any terrain. I LOVE that bike so fricking much. Along the way I bought a used Trek Remedy 9.8 but it's 140mm of travel was not suited to how I ride. My Capra, at 180mm travel front and back is basically a mini DH bike. And unless I can afford an E-bike at some point, this is likely to be my last bike.

23659532_10155598184926418_1289792603222342721_n.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve done a lot of the riding here on the island, mostly Vic based so Hartland, Prevost, and Tzouhalem. Good riding up at Cumberland and Nanaimo.

i ride a 2013 Giant Reign enduro, really well rounded bike that can handle most downhill sections and conquers uphills with ease.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Stech said:

I’ve done a lot of the riding here on the island, mostly Vic based so Hartland, Prevost, and Tzouhalem. Good riding up at Cumberland and Nanaimo.

i ride a 2013 Giant Reign enduro, really well rounded bike that can handle most downhill sections and conquers uphills with ease.

Lived in Royston for a year, Cumberland is fantastic, as is the brewery for apres wobbly pops!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'm on a 2017 Specialized Camber Comp 27.5 (new version pictured).

image.png.452f74f130030c71cb9826d5658d21ef.png

Do you know of many good trails out Earl's Cove/Sakinaw Lake way?

That ride is a thing of beauty.

I'm not familiar with any of the trails north of West Sechelt.  You from up there?

I just started riding a mountain bike with the whole COVID thing going on (it retained my sanity, because I couldn't go to the gym?..Quick question (pardon my ignorance, I'm a newbie)....DH mountain bikes look crazy cool, I've never ridden one..what are they like for going uphill..?

I have an old 2003 Rocky Mountain Vertex I got for cheap, but its a joy to ride..really light, fast..and pretty effortless cycling up hills.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I just started riding a mountain bike with the whole COVID thing going on (it retained my sanity, because I couldn't go to the gym?..Quick question (pardon my ignorance, I'm a newbie)....DH mountain bikes look crazy cool, I've never ridden one..what are they like for going uphill..?

I have an old 2003 Rocky Mountain Vertex I got for cheap, but its a joy to ride..really light, fast..and pretty effortless cycling up hills.

In my experience, they absolutely suck going uphill .  Roads not so much but up-trail was definitely tough and frustrating.  

Downhill, however... Absolutely dreamy, flowy, nothing quite like it. 

I traded mine in for the all-mountain because I'm not doing crazy jumps anymore, I'm older with too many responsibilities, and had knee surgery recently due to a pretty crazy accident.  I'm pretty stoked about the ease of the climb but definitely sacrificed a little comfort bombing downhill.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Save the DH rig for the Whistler bike park, honestly. I spent 9 years pushing 40+lb bikes uphill. It sucked. I am way faster descending those same trails on my 28lb enduro bike, hit more jumps (smallish jumps admittedly because I suck) and just have way more fun because the bike is so much lighter, nimbler and more playful than any of my DH bikes ever were. My 180mm travel slays the bike park as well. But even on a 160-170mm bike you're going to have hella fun wherever you ride.  

• Cheers 2