The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All time defenseman Round 10

Rate this topic

IBatch

Who’s number 10?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looks like Niedermayer snuck up for a tie with Shore...given the total amount of Shore votes since the start giving the tie-breaker to him but putting Niedermayer in next at 9....going right to 10 next.

So far it looks like this:

1. Orr

2. Lidstrom 

3. Bourque

4. Harvey

5. Coffey

6. Potvin

7. Robinson

8.  Shore

9.  Niedermayer

Blake got the most nominations so he’s added to the list - a terrific open ice hitter and all round terrific defenseman.   

Voting MacInnis, nominate Zubov.   For those that think these guys weren’t affected that much by how the game changed changed in the early 90’s (clutching and grabbing was already a common topic before we even made our 94 run), right through until the lock-out..Zubov led his team in 94 with 89 points, and scored 71 after the lockout just prior to retirement after years of 50ish points during the dead puck era.  

Wonder how today’s crowd would manage under the same circumstances, one less pass in the neutral zone and 6’2-6’6” beast on the other side waiting to hold onto you (the lockout wasn’t favourable for guys like Hatcher and Ludwig)...

Will leave the poll open for several days - let me know if you’d like to continue - was planning to go to 25...would be nice to see at least one former Canuck get at least a nomination (thanks Joe - Reinhart)...

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Looks like Niedermayer snuck up for a tie with Shore...given the total amount of Shore votes since the start giving the tie-breaker to him but putting Niedermayer in next at 9....going right to 10 next.

So far it looks like this:

1. Orr

2. Lidstrom 

3. Bourque

4. Harvey

5. Coffey

6. Potvin

7. Robinson

8.  Shore

9.  Niedermayer

Blake got the most nominations so he’s added to the list - a terrific open ice hitter and all round terrific defenseman.   

Voting MacInnis, nominate Zubov.   For those that think these guys weren’t affected that much by how the game changed changed in the early 90’s (clutching and grabbing was already a common topic before we even made our 94 run), right through until the lock-out..Zubov led his team in 94 with 89 points, and scored 71 after the lockout just prior to retirement after years of 50ish points during the dead puck era.  

Wonder how today’s crowd would manage under the same circumstances, one less pass in the neutral zone and 6’2-6’6” beast on the other side waiting to hold onto you (the lockout wasn’t favourable for guys like Hatcher and Ludwig)...

Will leave the poll open for several days - let me know if you’d like to continue - was planning to go to 25...would be nice to see at least one former Canuck get at least a nomination (thanks Joe - Reinhart)...

The Conn Smythe Trophy has been awarded for about 55 years without a lot of defensemen winning the award. Players already selected that never won the award include Bourque, Coffey, and Potvin. On the other hand Conn Smythe winners like Duncan Keith, Brian Leetch, Scott Stevens, Al MacInnis and Serge Savard have yet to be voted in so I think I am going to vote Leetch and nominate Serge Savard.

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Reinhart and Babych are names that will and should come up for discussion before all that long if the list makes its way a little bit further.

After that...well, guys like Snepsts, Lidster, McCarthy, Butcher, Brown, Lumme, Bieksa, Edler, Ohlund, Guevremont, Hughes, Tallon, Lanz, Halward and so on could eventually appear.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

I voted Park, If not for the guy who got the automatic bye, Park would have been the Dominant D of the 70's, in spite of Orr, he still managed 

5x 1st All star

2x - 2nd all star

6x Norris runner up

Voted best D in Summit Series

If not for winning a  Stanley Cup, or playing when Orr was, he would be at the top

Hockey is a Team Sport and i think he deserves, and is in most top 10 lists?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I voted Park, If not for the guy who got the automatic bye, Park would have been the Dominant D of the 70's, in spite of Orr, he still managed 

5x 1st All star

2x - 2nd all star

6x Norris runner up

Voted best D in Summit Series

If not for winning a  Stanley Cup, or playing when Orr was, he would be at the top

Hockey is a Team Sport and i think he deserves, and is in most top 10 lists?

Potvin and Robinson both started in 1973 and hit the ground running, so Park would have been dealing with those guys too for the supermajority of the decade.  He was a hell of a player though, I won't debate that.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Looks like I will continue to be an apologist for the old guys...voting for Red Kelly.

Kelly's accolades:

Winner of the 1st ever Norris

2nd in Norris voting twice

3rd in Norris voting once

1st Team All-Star twice prior to the existence of the Norris

2nd Team All-Star twice prior to the existence of the Norris

2nd in Hart voting once

3rd in Hart voting once

All of these were as a defenseman with the Red Wings before he moved to forward with the Leafs.

MacInnins isn't a bad vote either, he would be my choice after Kelly.

Continuing to nominate Victor Hedman.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Voting for Pierre Pilote.

Nominating Guy Lapointe.

If you didn't leave him off intentionally this time, I noticed that Housley is missing from the options.

Thanks Biestra, I’m doing this from my phone - his omission for sure wasn’t deliberate, for sure should be up there with that company..added him.   Think I might of even had him in the first round. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Potvin and Robinson both started in 1973 and hit the ground running, so Park would have been dealing with those guys too for the supermajority of the decade.  He was a hell of a player though, I won't debate that.

Yep...Park was the bridesmaid for a decade more or less - first Orr, then Potvin and Robinson, tough competition to deal with.   But always in the conversation just never the best.  Doughty looked to be the “new Park” and was even compared to him for the many years....then for sure got his due.   Murphy dealt with this too.   For sure quality of competition matters.     

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Reinhart and Babych are names that will and should come up for discussion before all that long if the list makes its way a little bit further.

After that...well, guys like Snepsts, Lidster, McCarthy, Butcher, Brown, Lumme, Bieksa, Edler, Ohlund, Guevremont, Hughes, Tallon, Lanz, Halward and so on could eventually appear.

Reinhart and Babych ... Babych especially suffered from not playing with very good teams for the majority of his prime.   If he played with Coffey and Co...well maybe he’d be in the HHOF. 

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Reinhart and Babych ... Babych especially suffered from not playing with very good teams for the majority of his prime.   If he played with Coffey and Co...well maybe he’d be in the HHOF. 

If he had played with the Oilers he would, I guarantee, be in the Hall of Fame.  He would probably have 1000 points and be talked about with Murphy and Housley in that regard, plus he would have five Cups (and he would have had the puck instead of Steve Smith in 1986 so maybe six Cups).  Whereas the Canadiens dynasty had Robinson and Lapointe to put up big points on the blueline, the Oilers had only Coffey and the Islanders had only Potvin.  The dropoff from Potvin with 100 points and Coffey with 130 points was the next guy at 40-55 points for the season (Lowe, Huddy).  Babych as the other guy on the power play...holy crap.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If he had played with the Oilers he would, I guarantee, be in the Hall of Fame.  He would probably have 1000 points and be talked about with Murphy and Housley in that regard, plus he would have five Cups (and he would have had the puck instead of Steve Smith in 1986 so maybe six Cups).  Whereas the Canadiens dynasty had Robinson and Lapointe to put up big points on the blueline, the Oilers had only Coffey and the Islanders had only Potvin.  The dropoff from Potvin with 100 points and Coffey with 130 points was the next guy at 40-55 points for the season (Lowe, Huddy).  Babych as the other guy on the power play...holy crap.

No doubt.   Once Vancouver was out next up EDM-CAL...and they never disappointed.  In the rare time EDM failed (once), CAL was right there to pick up the slack, those two teams set the bar in the west for over a decade.   Babych and Carlyle made WNP a little less insufferable, and of course so did Hawerchuk.   Crazy to think of the talent level back then.   Yes Gretzky and Co are maybe too modest.  But that team made Tampa Bay look like Minny. 

8 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Park should be in the top 15 for sure...

8 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, that is the point about Park

he got these things with Potvin and Robinson competing against him

In fact he dominated them

Yet they are on the list already

and he is not..............kind of mystifying really.

How are they better, when he beat them

Again.in the 70's

5x 1st All star

2x - 2nd all star

6x Norris runner up

How is that not the 2nd best defenseman of the 70's