The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

the reason why greatest players of all time threads are flawed

Rate this topic

there's been a lot of rule changes, if you discredit some changes and not other's that's bias.

factoring awards/all star appearances in to a players resume is flawed if you do not consider how many player's
were on the ice, and how many were rostered and how many teams in the league. heck there even was a rule that stated a captain had to be on the ice for the entirty of the game.

The game changed so much from decade to decade. comparing each decade back to back is reasonable, but comparing the 80's to the 00's is silly and comparing player's from the 1920's to the 2020's is outlandish
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

I don't think you can go 100 years, but certainly a few decades. Gretzky e.g., dominated games more than McDavid does. Pretty hard to find a C better than Crosby in any era. I think we can safely look at the late 70s to today and know who the GOATs are . 

6 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

the 80's had two more goals per game than the 00's the 80's were offensive minded and the 00's were defensive. BIG BIG DIFFERENCE.

How many goals were disallowed do to the in the crease rule?

not really. If you're just looking at a stat sheet maybe, but if you watched the games its pretty easy to know Wayne>>Connor McCovid. 

• Vintage 1

way too much bias in my opinion, a player like bobby hull is lauded for his performance, but how much was that due to his curved stick. but consider a goalie like tim thomas and get made fun of cause lul, bigger equipment. if you factor some changes into our opinion and not others thats bias

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not really. If you're just looking at a stat sheet maybe, but if you watched the games its pretty easy to know Wayne>>Connor McCovid. 

i honestly dont thinkits fair to consider the two. mcdavid only playing a few seasons and he wasnt even born when gretz played

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

i honestly dont thinkits fair to consider the two. mcdavid only playing a few seasons and he wasnt even born when gretz played

so what? you can tell who's dominating their era, and McDavid just isn't as dominant. 

9 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

way too much bias in my opinion, a player like bobby hull is lauded for his performance, but how much was that due to his curved stick. but consider a goalie like tim thomas and get made fun of cause lul, bigger equipment. if you factor some changes into our opinion and not others thats bias

imagine Gretzky with modern equipment and training techniques?