The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson - Benning's 4 choices (Discussion/Poll)

What happens to Loui this season?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, let's help Jim decide what to do with Loui Eriksson

1. Trade him for a boat load of players, prospects and picks

2. Play him as the 13th forward on the Canucks

3. Assign him to Utica

4. Buy him out

Personally, he does not last the season in Utica  and retires. There is way too much family pressure, and with Covid...no way Loui stays? Do you think?

So, if the AHL actually plays this coming winter, is this Benning's best option?

There might be a 5th option, and that is to loan him to the SHL.......I am not sure that actually lets the Canucks off the hook for his salary? Maybe someone like IMM can let us know if that is a possibility.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Buy out windows are closed. It’s literally not an option now until next offseason. 

Right I forgot that....but there has been some talk about another buy out window, in the new agreement....which they have not agreed to

But again...I forgot!

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Canucks are still on the hook for his cap if he goes to Sweden.  Let him rot in Utica and tell Cull not to waste any icetime on that floater that could be given to a player who actually wants to be an NHLer.  A better option might be to keep calling him back up to force him to quarantine, then send him back down once the time's up.  Time to take the kid gloves off and make this lazy piece of garbage as miserable as possible.

From one Louie to another, I hope Domingue would be kind enough to send his recipe book to our Loui for these quarantine times.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Canucks are still on the hook for his cap if he goes to Sweden.  Let him rot in Utica and tell Cull not to waste any icetime on that floater that could be given to a player who actually wants to be an NHLer.  A better option might be to keep calling him back up to force him to quarantine, then send him back down once the time's up.  Time to take the kid gloves off and make this lazy piece of garbage as miserable as possible.

I'll go out on a limb here and assume you don't like him :sadno:

I thought you might be Aquaman using this forum ::D

It is interesting to look back and remember TSN and other's being shocked on what the Canucks were doing signing him at his age, money and term, and many of our fans defending saying that when the Sedins retire, Loui can teach the kids how to play  

So i am guessing you don't think that way? ;)

Curious, How were you feeling about the initial signing of him?

Funny, I don't recall being excited or down about this signing it was more meh , hope it works

Funny, I still don't pay much attention to Loui even from when he started here

Can you imagine if Messier was on this term?

Curious as to who the fans are more upset with

My guess might be Loui as it is more fresh, and cost us to loose good players? 

But that is not Loui's fault entirely ,he didn't make anyone sign him or the other contracts that bind us

Though if he was on the team when there was no cap space, the frustration would not be as high, (as he can play for 1/3 his value)

Looks like the publications and fans who questioned this deal at the time were right about asking what are the Canucks thinking?

So if anyone is upset at  Loui, they should be upset with the long term no trade contract he was given?

Publications and Fans were questioning this signing  before his production fell off as a Canuck 

It is hard to believe the only reason Loui was brought in was to play with Sedins whom retired prematurely and he is still here lol.. 

I think they were hoping the Sedins played till their forties with Loui seeing how they had some success together in international competition for Sweden. 

15 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

It is hard to believe the only reason Loui was brought in was to play with Sedins whom retired prematurely and he is still here lol.. 

I think they were hoping the Sedins played till their forties with Loui seeing how they had some success together in international competition for Sweden. 

Now wouldn't that have been something... oh what could have been :lol: 

Unfortunately whoever made that assumption did not know the Sedin's well enough they family men

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I'll go out on a limb here and assume you don't like him :sadno:

I thought you might be Aquaman using this forum ::D

It is interesting to look back and remember TSN and other's being shocked on what the Canucks were doing signing him at his age, money and term, and many of our fans defending saying that when the Sedins retire, Loui can teach the kids how to play  

So i am guessing you don't think that way? ;)

Curious, How were you feeling about the initial signing of him?

Funny, I don't recall being excited or down about this signing it was more meh , hope it works

Funny, I still don't pay much attention to Loui even from when he started here

Can you imagine if Messier was on this term?

Curious as to who the fans are more upset with

My guess might be Loui as it is more fresh, and cost us to loose good players? 

But that is not Loui's fault entirely ,he didn't make anyone sign him or the other contracts that bind us

Though if he was on the team when there was no cap space, the frustration would not be as high, (as he can play for 1/3 his value)

Looks like the publications and fans who questioned this deal at the time were right about asking what are the Canucks thinking?

So if anyone is upset at  Loui, they should be upset with the long term no trade contract he was given?

Publications and Fans were questioning this signing  before his production fell off as a Canuck 

Wasn't thrilled with the signing, but wouldn't be nearly as angry if he'd put in an honest effort and accepted a reduced role like Ballard, instead of whining about the coach finally putting him in the press box.  While no one will ever come close to being as much of a problem as Messier, Eriksson is easily the second biggest disgrace to our jersey.

He has no one but himself to blame; I don't think anyone reasonable would have expected him to stop trying and refuse to retire.  Since he clearly doesn't care whether or not his terrible play is acceptable, he shouldn't have signed such a long term deal with the expectation that he would attempt to play like an NHLer.  As happy as I was that we'd avoided Lucic and his character issues, this deal never made sense.  I definitely didn't expect the complete lack of professionalism though.

• Cheers 1

Voted plays for the Canucks but think he will also get demoted at some point too. Probably not until Podz arrives.   I do think he will lose his regular spot on the second line.   And that if Lind puts in a good showing he might not see much real ice-time at all.   PK, 4th line, injury replacement and press box.   Still need guys for this ... McEwen deserves a longer shot at this point as well.   His PP60 are actually quite good. 

Wind back the clock. When the Canucks signed him, on July 1/16. The Canucks were trying to rebuild on the fly, and still be competitive. He was finishing a 30 goal, 63 point season in Boston. It wasn't like Vancouver was a great destination for free agents at the time (At least with how the team was assembled). I honestly think the main reason was to try to maximize the Sedin's prior to their retirement. Sadly the term should have seen that as a warning sign. He's never been healthy and sure doesn't seem to be motivated. 

I too vote "Shot out of a cannon". 

• Cheers 1