The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson - Benning's 4 choices (Discussion/Poll)

What happens to Loui this season?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wind back the clock. When the Canucks signed him, on July 1/16. The Canucks were trying to rebuild on the fly, and still be competitive. He was finishing a 30 goal, 63 point season in Boston. It wasn't like Vancouver was a great destination for free agents at the time (At least with how the team was assembled). I honestly think the main reason was to try to maximize the Sedin's prior to their retirement. Sadly the term should have seen that as a warning sign. He's never been healthy and sure doesn't seem to be motivated. 

I too vote "Shot out of a cannon". 

i agree, but not shot out of a cannon. louie is a quality person, whose offensive skills have eroded. i don’t think the owners want to buy him out and if he could be traded he would have been. i still hope that louie sees that time has passed him by and decides to retire. whatever happens, i wish louie good luck and hope the rest of his life can be rewarding. none of us knows what is happening behind the scenes. 

• Cheers 3

For those suggesting if we make him miserable he might retire, that is extremely unlikely. After signing with Vancouver, he invested a lot of his money into a restaurant chain in Sweden. There were indications that the restaurants may have not been very profitable even before the pandemic - it's fair to assume they are losing money during it. So no matter what happens, Eriksson will almost certainly be riding his contract out until the bitter end, because he can't afford to walk away from millions of dollars.

I don't mind the idea of keeping Eriksson around a little longer, simply for the fact that we really don't know how this season will go. It will be likely short, and if we have problems with goaltending we might find ourselves out of the playoff hunt quite quickly. So it doesn't make sense to dish out a pile of assets to get Eriksson out the door ASAP, until we know the team (read: goaltending) is ready to make another run this season.

If things go well though, we may be able to unload Eriksson at the deadline to make a big addition. It will cost a lot, but at the same time it will allow the other team to maximize their return on a rental player by also getting value by taking our anchor. But if things go South this season, we can wait to deal him in the offseason. Perhaps then the assets we get renting out Pearson and Sutter at the deadline (maybe a 2nd & a 3rd?) can be used to move Eriksson, and we can come out even.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

Robidas island

On a serious note, the numbers say on a line with Pearson and Horvat. Ferland LTIR, Bear and Mac minors. If Ferland somehow comes in healthy Eriksson either down to the minors or scratched. 

I would love to see Bear back in the lineup with Gaudette and Virtanen. Chances are one of Motte, Beagle, Sutter, Roussel will get injured 

Miller EP Boeser
Pearson Horvat Eriksson
Roussel Gaudette Virtanen
Motte Beagle Sutter

another option @janisahockeynut is part of the extended AHL taxi squad. So not in Utica but not with the main team unless there's some kind of injury bug.

We don't know what the AHL situation is going to be. I don't think we really need him as our 13th F anymore depth-wise but maybe Green does? what we do know is Benning and Green place a ton of value of the effort guys make at camp, so that will determine a lot imo. Whats different now tho is Loui is going to have to outplay a new guy, not the other way around. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Remember when Toffoli was injured in the playoffs?  Who played on Right Wing?

Here's our RW depth

1. Boeser
  2. Eriksson
  3. Virtanen
  4. Sutter
  5. MacEwen

I think now its Brock, Jake, Sutter, Mac, Loui and maybe Bailey if he's re-signed here at some point. And then of course Podkolzin if he's somehow able to come over. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

another option @janisahockeynut is part of the extended AHL taxi squad. So not in Utica but not with the main team unless there's some kind of injury bug.

We don't know what the AHL situation is going to be. I don't think we really need him as our 13th F anymore depth-wise but maybe Green does? what we do know is Benning and Green place a ton of value of the effort guys make at camp, so that will determine a lot imo. Whats different now tho is Loui is going to have to outplay a new guy, not the other way around. 

You know Jimmy, it is a thought I have heard before, but Eriksson can actually play defense at the NHL level. The problem is, and has always been, he is not worth 6 million, and the Canucks need that 6 million.

IMO, the reason that the Canucks send down Eriksson is to push him to retire. It is the only reason that they would send him down. I guess it could be to save the 1 million, but ultimately, they need him gone, to create that cap room.

I actually do not think they need the cap space to ice a full roster. But IMO, we should be looking to fit Hioglander, Podkolzin and Tryamkin into the line up mid-season. I also think that "IF" Eriksson was gone and the Cap space opened up, one of Duclair or Hoffman, could be added at a reduced cost. 

I think Eriksson gone, just opens up roster spots, and does not impact next years cap, which is needed to re-sign Hughes, Pettersson and Demko, all who are going to get healthy raises, albeit not the $10,000,000 per that CDC sees Hughes and Pettersson thinks they will get. (Thank god for Tampa, as they are pushing the price down).

( Hughes will get 5.5 M, and Pettersson will get 7.0 M on 3 year Covid bridges, and Demko's raise will be depending on this year performance, but tops out at 4.0 M) 

But that is a different discussion, for a different forum, but it does all tie into Eriksson leaving early.

IMO, Benning wants to compete with Calgary and Edmonton, both who have shown improvements this summer. Not to mention, if they are in a Canadian division and have to compete with Toronto as well.

All, this is inter-connected

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

IMO, the reason that the Canucks send down Eriksson is to push him to retire. It is the only reason that they would send him down. I guess it could be to save the 1 million, but ultimately, they need him gone, to create that cap room.

that's true, and the only way that works is IF Utica plays in Utica and Loui doesn't want to go there. We should know soon on what the AHL will look like. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that's true, and the only way that works is IF Utica plays in Utica and Loui doesn't want to go there. We should know soon on what the AHL will look like. 

It would take a special type of scumbag to have the lack of pride necessary to be a healthy scratch in the AHL in order to continue stealing Aquilini's money.

• Cheers 1

where is the bad case of jock itch on the list ??? so he has to retire ala' Hossa or pictures of him with a bags of blow  or slip him some PED's so we can null and void his contract ! these things are more likely to happen than loui getting traded or him getting bought out this season

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, the grinder said:

where is the bad case of jock itch on the list ??? so he has to retire ala' Hossa or pictures of him with a bags of blow  or slip him some PED's so we can null and void his contract ! these things are more likely to happen than loui getting traded or him getting bought out this season

Don't you have to break a sweat to get jock itch?  PEDs aren't likely either considering how badly he's been playing.  The idea of LE going on LTIR relies on him being a team player and working with the team, neither of which he's shown a history of doing.

• Cheers 2

I was going to have a loan to ECHL..........but the dude would like it

So we got to send him some place he will not like it........

Like..........Cleveland 

No one wants to live in Cleveland or maybe Portland, Maine

Yes, Portland, as they probably have the longest bus rides

14 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Like..........Cleveland 

Novisibursk might be a good fit.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i agree, but not shot out of a cannon. louie is a quality person, whose offensive skills have eroded. i don’t think the owners want to buy him out and if he could be traded he would have been. i still hope that louie sees that time has passed him by and decides to retire. whatever happens, i wish louie good luck and hope the rest of his life can be rewarding. none of us knows what is happening behind the scenes. 

But we have a nice safety net in Utica. ::D

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Like..........Cleveland 

Anything other than the regular affiliate has to be agreed to by the player. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like this, esp. if somehow the taxi squad enables us to reduce cap somehow (e.g. like sending down without actually, since he's kinda in the back pocket).
He is... serviceable when it comes to defensive matchups and, if only to throw out to close out games and block shots on the PK, I'd throw him out there for shutdown.