The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How would no 2020-21 season impacts Canucks?

Rate this topic

Slegr

32 minutes ago, Slegr said:

With each passing day, there is more reason to suggest there may be no NHL season this year.

So how would that impact the Canucks?

And how would it work on players' contracts? Would that year come off? 

You mean what happens with LE?  It might mean our next regular season game is the opener in Seattle?

Well, it would mean Green would stick around a year longer so by the time he gets replaced all our great players will be a year older, at best delaying our first cup by a year, at worst, missing a year of their prime reducing our chances of the cup with this batch of talent.

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

I'm sure the league and players will come to an agreement and find a way to play (as safely as possible).

Sadly I think January 1st is not a possibility, February at best. Problem with that, mid January should be a huge post Christmas/New Years spike in COVID cases and the governments will react with massive shutdowns and since hockey hasn’t started the season will be cancelled.

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Sadly I think January 1st is not a possibility, February at best. Problem with that, mid January should be a huge post Christmas/New Years spike in COVID cases and the governments will react with massive shutdowns and since hockey hasn’t started the season will be cancelled.

January 1st can't really happen now.  Two week quarantine for Canada plus two week training camp, would be starting tomorrow, with players all in town.  Plus they said teams like Ottawa would get an extra week of camp, but I imagine that extra week could be dropped as more time passes.

3 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

January 1st can't really happen now.  Two week quarantine for Canada plus two week training camp, would be starting tomorrow, with players all in town.  Plus they said teams like Ottawa would get an extra week of camp, but I imagine that extra week could be dropped as more time passes.

Winter is coming.

Things are going to get way worse, I just can’t see a season happening, hopefully September when they can release the Kraken.

I just can’t wait to hate Seattle.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Winter is coming.

Things are going to get way worse, I just can’t see a season happening, hopefully September when they can release the Kraken.

I just can’t wait to hate Seattle.

No doubt.  I hate them already just because my tolerance for the “Golden Misfits” ran out and I’m not above roster envy (Theodore AND AP?) ... at least we got Schmidt though ha ha. 

If there is no season the league would most likely use their clause, in that case a year comes off all contracts.   From that standpoint it’s not the worst thing in the world, but losing a year of important development experience is worse for everyone.   Taking this off-season from a certain lens it’s understandable why all three big UFAs weren’t offered long term deals.   The cost to move payroll would have been too high, and possibly for what?  

Hopefully the season can be salvaged.   UK will begin vaccinations in the next couple of days - hundreds of thousands of doses are on their way already.   Even if the US and Canada followed suit right away I’m not sure if it will be soon enough.  But at least there is hope. 

There will be hockey.  

It may be a series of bubbles but the NHL and the players do not want to give back the TV money nor damage themselves as they go looking for a new TV deal.

They both recognize that the loss of revenue will be shared between players and owners, they are just figuring out how much of the players losses are going to be this year vs the next few.

At this point you would think the families of these players would rather live in a monitored bubble than with the general population of the US and to a much lesser degree Canada.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm not entirely sure how it'd impact the Canucks, but I'm pretty confident that there will be NHL hockey one way or another. Even if they have to resort to bubbles again.

Doesn't the NHL need to burn the one remaining year on their broadcasting contract or whatever? They can't negotiate a new, more lucrative deal until they do. 

On 12/3/2020 at 10:30 AM, DrJockitch said:

There will be hockey.  

It may be a series of bubbles but the NHL and the players do not want to give back the TV money nor damage themselves as they go looking for a new TV deal.

They both recognize that the loss of revenue will be shared between players and owners, they are just figuring out how much of the players losses are going to be this year vs the next few.

At this point you would think the families of these players would rather live in a monitored bubble than with the general population of the US and to a much lesser degree Canada.

They’d agreed to escrow already when they extended the CBA...capped at 20%.   That said Bettman was pretty clear about reminding the media revenue’s are split 50/50.   And suggested that 2/3 of whatever salaries will be given out this year will be owed back.   This creates several issues.  One is pure tax.   These guys will get taxed on money they didn’t even really make, then have to pay it back later (five years keeps being thrown out by the league - as a flat cap possibility).    It also creates issues within the NHLPA, guys like LE for example, that is owed 4 million his last year, will get paid 80% of his pay and then disappear.  Will he pay back his 2/3 share if bums aren’t in seats for most of the  2021/2022 season?  Or half the bums?  Doubt it.   Not the greatest example but it does matter (it’s the following year for him ha ha).... Some guys on lucrative contracts (say Parise) will get the lions share and never have to pay back their part of the escrow, that “hardship” or “burden” will be given to the younger guys.   Regular folks won’t have much sympathy - but money is money and most people want as much of it as they “deserve”.   

I also agree there will be some hockey.  Doubt they will have any fans next season, and bubbles won’t work for the NHLPA or the NHL they’ve already said that (regular season at least).   A hybrid system with different divisions seems to be tabled and the likely route.   Guys will get covid, it’s unavoidable at this point.   Very doubtful any of them will die from it, they will get the best care and tested all the time to keep it from their family bubbles too. Plus they are elite athletes.    But it’s sure affected them.  

For Vancouver it’s 100% understandable that JB has zero interest in sacrificing anything for a run this year.   Pretty sure whatever this season will look like will make last season look like the most normal regular season ever. 

On 12/2/2020 at 9:19 PM, Slegr said:

With each passing day, there is more reason to suggest there may be no NHL season this year.

So how would that impact the Canucks?

And how would it work on players' contracts? Would that year come off? 

DON'T JINX IT!!! Mid January it is!  (has fingers crossed!)

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Question is really how will this season play out?  Can the Canucks gain some momentum after their recent playoff experience/success?   Against a probable all Canadian division...maybe.  

They already have momentum, way better mindset these days, everyone is excited and that leads to hating to let each other down! That's a true team mindset that we need, now just if LE had that... Grrrr..  just quit already!