The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

8 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

To be an anti masker you have to be so short sighted and self involved that they have no idea that their actions may kill someone they love.

No they don't.  They just have to view the risks associated with COVID and the actual reduction in that risk that masks provide as X, and then view either civil liberties or the effect of setting a precedent of reducing those liberties or anything else as Y and then come to some determination where Y > X.  Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong but there are other ways for someone to develop an opposing philosophy to yours on this or any other issue.

And if you group them all together, project one singular motive onto them and then shame them, all you really do is stifle discussion and galvanize them in their position.

Their side is not the only one that would benefit from the Socratic method and critical thinking.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Wat 3

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

I wear a mask because I have elderly people with respiratory problems in my bubble. I can’t think of what the hell your argument is as to why I shouldn’t wear one. 

I don't have any argument that you shouldn't wear one.  And I don't hear that argument much from anyone.  Some others may have an easier time making arguments that you should choose for yourself whether you want to wear one.

Maybe they'll convince you or someone else, maybe they won't.  But the argument could come from several other places than the motives you ascribed to everyone making it.

50 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

That's from April.

And she was right. At the time, there was little scientific evidence to show that cloth masks did anything. Nobody had really studied it before. There wasnt much need. Since April we have learned a lot. The medical community has since come out in favour of cloth masks in the community. Obviously thread count and material makes a huge difference. But they are still recognized as inferior to medical grade masks, of course. But they offer some protection.

If you choose to look into her work, shes saying we cant rely on homemade masks alone. We cant think we are invincible because we tied a bandana around our faces. I 100% agree. She advocates for more social distancing, better air filtration, keeping your social circle to your household, avoiding interaction... these are great points! We definitely shouldnt be hugging on our friends in the grocery store because we have a mask on. 

Cloth masks stop large droplets that’s pretty much where their usefulness stops which she mentions in the interview and the paper she wrote. 

If you’re going to wear a mask wear an n95 or you’re not really any better than someone with no mask. 

I find it so hypocritical when people complain about people not wearing masks when they’re wearing a piece of cloth... like that cloth is useless. It’s common sense. If you want to protect yourself and others get a proper mask that designed to protect you and others. 

Just now, peaches5 said:

Cloth masks stop large droplets that’s pretty much where their usefulness stops which she mentions in the interview and the paper she wrote. 

If you’re going to wear a mask wear an n95 or you’re not really any better than someone with no mask. 

I find it so hypocritical when people complain about people not wearing masks when they’re wearing a piece of cloth... like that cloth is useless. It’s common sense. If you want to protect yourself and others get a proper mask that designed to protect you and others. 

So what's your stance on this then? You're not wearing a mask then?

• Cheers 1

It's a bit severe to fire someone like that over their opinions. No warning, or no other censure?  B.T.W. it is controversial whether masks work. Theresa Tam even said they don't work back in March or April. There are studies that say masks are ineffective.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

16 minutes ago, john bell said:

It's a bit severe to fire someone like that over their opinions. No warning, or no other censure?  B.T.W. it is controversial whether masks work. Theresa Tam even said they don't work back in March or April. There are studies that say masks are ineffective.

Yeah, well, this is what Theresa Tam says in November... a little more recent than March or April...

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/11/statement-from-the-chief-public-health-officer-of-canada-on-november-7-2020.html

"...letting our guard down and not consistently maintaining public health practises, such as physical distancing and mask wearing, can lead to many exposures and infections."

Funny what more than half a year of research and understanding about this virus can do to a person's opinion on safety measures.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, john bell said:

“There are studies” is the approximate useful equivalent of the “aliens” guy. 

• Vintage 2

41 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I wear a mask because I have elderly people with respiratory problems in my bubble. I can’t think of what the hell your argument is as to why I shouldn’t wear one. 

It tickles my nose and makes my face feel funny.  I also want people to see how beautiful I am.

• Cheers 2

I believe masks do more harm than good so I avoid situation where I need to wear one, apart from getting groceries once a week I stay away from people otherwise.

I have a friend that swears by masks and thinks he is bulletproof and runs around everywhere  in his dollar store mask.

Tell me who the bigger threat is.

• Wat 2

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I believe masks do more harm than good so I avoid situation where I need to wear one, apart from getting groceries once a week I stay away from people otherwise.

I have a friend that swears by masks and thinks he is bulletproof and runs around everywhere  in his dollar store mask.

Tell me who the bigger threat is.

The problem isn't you as you wear one and socially and physically distance from people.

Your friend is not a major problem either as he at least wears a mask.

I updated your second sentence below to state what the bigger threat is:

"I have a friend that swears by masks and thinks he is bulletproof and runs around everywhere  in his dollar store mask."

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how is it retaliation when everyone is within their rights? 

Where's the line and where does it end?

Will there be a day where I wear a t-shirt that says, "I'm Pro-Opera and I Vote"... and that will get me fired from a job or banned from certain establishments?  Will my potential "offensiveness" against the deaf and non-citizens be justification for detrimental actions towards me?  

Sounds very extreme.... but if you told someone 10 years ago that you can get fired for attending a public rally, you will notice that the goalpost has drastically shifted.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VforVirtanen said:

“There are studies” is the approximate useful equivalent of the “aliens” guy. 

I think they try to make them sound credible by calling them theorists. I can have a theory the sky in the daytime is plaid, problem is the theory falls apart when someone takes a photo, or just looks outside. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, x00x said:

Funny thing about the whole mask thing, people who are wearing 100% are still get infected, so its not 100% guaranteed and thats the problem, society thinks wearing a mask makes u immune but reality it doesn't and actually makes u even more susceptible/risk , since your guard is down and u become more clumsy with how you do things outside

I have literally been telling the person I was having this discussion with that it doesn't provide 100% immunity.

Even if it doesn't though, it still saves lives. It's not perfect, but it saves lives. That's the whole point. Wear a mask. No excuses. It doesn't kill you to wear a mask. It does however kill others from not wearing a mask.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 2

I don't necessarily agree with his opinion on wearing masks. In fact, I am against it. But I have trouble with the firing. You don't get fired for expressing your opinions. Apparently, speech is free only if it fits certain narrative.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 4

40 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Where's the line and where does it end?

Will there be a day where I wear a t-shirt that says, "I'm Pro-Opera and I Vote"... and that will get me fired from a job or banned from certain establishments?  Will my potential "offensiveness" against the deaf and non-citizens be justification for detrimental actions towards me?  

Sounds very extreme.... but if you told someone 10 years ago that you can get fired for attending a public rally, you will notice that the goalpost has drastically shifted.  

Heck...when I grew up you could get beat up or killed for it.