The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

7 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

I never said he shouldnt be fired. Just not publicly shamed by somebodys that had to pay hundreds of thousands in wcb fines and wages theft. And comparing an anti masker to women abusers is a bit much. And no anthem singer is the face or the org..

But if the anthem singer isn't the face of a franchise, then it shouldn't be an issue to hire a woman abuser according to your logic.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jtutino said:

Thanks tips, my point was he shouldnt be playing moral police on twitter when he has a long history of mistreating employees and safety violations. He could have let canucks twitter annouce they were parting ways with Mark. In what world is a part time anthem singer a " face of the org"? Lose money how? People will stop going to games nobody is aloud to attend? Rogers want to redo the t.v. deal? Somebody wont buy the new petey sweater because Marks an idiot haha.

1 hour ago, Jtutino said:

Well thanks for letting me know what we all can do. Very informative

If youre to lazy to look up facts about a topic youre calling someone out on its your own problem. Its all public info.

53 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

no youre right because you havent read the articles from reputable news sources it must not have happened. Instead of looking it up youd rather banter like pre schoolers on a online form

Have you considered changing to de-caf coffee?

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Anti-masker can cause death, pretty fair comparison actually. 

so if youre daughters dating a anti masker, its pretty much the same as dating a women abuser? One was convicted in the court of public opinion and one in the court of law ,but ya basically the same thing.

Edited by Jtutino

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

But if the anthem singer isn't the face of a franchise, then it shouldn't be an issue to hire a woman abuser according to your logic.

I stated no anthem singer is the face of a franchise and comparing anti maskers and women abusers isnt a fair comparison. And somehow you got hireing a woman abuser is all good? You just like to argue even if you dont know what youre arguing about. Basically a troll.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Anyone that’s ever passed on the flu either infected someone who then died or infected someone who later infected someone who died, we are all murderers.

Besides most people don’t use masks properly then run around like they’re bullet proof, how many of those caused death?

Edited by Dumb Nuck

17 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

I stated no anthem singer is the face of a franchise and comparing anti maskers and women abusers isnt a fair comparison. And somehow you got hireing a woman abuser is all good? You just like to argue even if you dont know what youre arguing about. Basically a troll.

So you agree that certain behaviour in one's private time should impact the possibility of employment as an anthem singer...

2 hours ago, Jtutino said:

Well thanks for letting me know what we all can do. Very informative

You're welcome.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

For clarification and recap.  

I called Mark a face of the org. He was one. He was a mainstay for years and had a big tradition of having the crowd sing along. Everyone knew him. The article called him 'Canucks Anthem Singer' . 

Your claim was that AQ is now concerned about public health and essentially a hypocrite cause he apparently has so many WCB claims in the company and therefore doesn't care about the health of the employees. 

I proposed that his motivation was more to do with public opinion. A business move. 

If you don't agree that a public figure can cause harm to the bottom line for a NHL team, then I guess that's where we disagree. 

No reason to be snappy if we disagree. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

How? they actually cause people to take less precautions and spread viruses more than no mask and social distancing. 

You know what else can cause death ? eating are you going to stop making/buying your family food because how would you feel if someone choked and died?

• Wat 3

so if youre daughters dating a anti masker, its pretty much the same as dating a women abuser? One was convicted in the court of public opinion and one in the court of law ,but ya basically the same thing.

That would be impossible I have no kids 

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

You're welcome.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

For clarification and recap.  

I called Mark a face of the org. He was one. He was a mainstay for years and had a big tradition of having the crowd sing along. Everyone knew him. The article called him 'Canucks Anthem Singer' . 

Your claim was that AQ is now concerned about public health and essentially a hypocrite cause he apparently has so many WCB claims in the company and therefore doesn't care about the health of the employees. 

I proposed that his motivation was more to do with public opinion. A business move. 

If you don't agree that a public figure can cause harm to the bottom line for a NHL team, then I guess that's where we disagree. 

No reason to be snappy if we disagree. 

Plus it doesn't look good if the crowd starts booing the anthem singer... :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

The Canucks were already phasing out anthem singer Mark Donnelly

Mark Donnelly has been associated with the Vancouver Canucks for nearly two decades.

The longtime anthem singer, best known for letting the crowd take over singing part of O Canada, quickly became a fan favourite. While he didn’t sing before every game, he was often picked for big games and most certainly was given the microphone during the playoffs.

But, lost in the hoopla of Donnelly’s public dismissal for his anti-mask stance is the fact that the team was already growing increasingly tired of his antics.

A source with knowledge of Donnelly’s part-time employment with the team told Daily Hive that the singer was effectively being phased out. He used to sing at approximately half of Canucks regular-season home games and was moved to just 5-6 games per season in the last two years.

Donnelly was the only anthem singer the Canucks paid on a regular basis, but the phase-out was not motivated by money.

While fans liked his schtick, Donnelly’s far-right views have been creeping into the public domain for a while now.

Donnelly sang at an anti-abortion rally back in 2012, telling a crowd of people outside the Vancouver Art Gallery: “There’s a lot of Canadians, both born and unborn, and this is for all of us, for everyone out here too and all of Canada.”

“Remember, if we can’t discuss things rationally, then we’re not Canadians. We have to be able to talk,” he added.

Donnelly tried delving into politics in 2018, as he unsuccessfully pursued the Conservative Party nomination for South Surrey-White Rock in the federal election.

“I believe our federal government, under the leadership of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, is running Canada off a cliff,” Donnelly said at the time.

The last two years have seen Donnelly’s political views subtly spill out onto the ice, as he has refused to sing O Canada’s new gender-neutral lyrics.

On January 31, 2018, Canada officially changed the lyrics of the national anthem to replace “in all thy sons command” to the more gender-neutral “in all of us command.”

Donnelly didn’t change with it.

Before the change in lyrics, the last words Donnelly consistently sang before letting the crowd take over were “in all thy sons command.” After the change, Donnelly stopped singing after “true patriot love.”

At the anti-mask rally on Saturday, Donnelly’s version of O Canada included the outdated “all thy sons command” lyrics.

The 50th anniversary season was part of the reason why Donnelly was kept around last year, though he wasn’t being picked for every big game. And when the playoffs began, it was Marie Hui who was asked to sing for pre-recorded videos that played before Canucks “home” games in the Edmonton bubble.

So while his dangerous anti-mask rhetoric was enough to get him fired, this wasn’t Donnelly’s first offence. Given that the team was already phasing him out and hardly anyone noticed, the decision to cut ties should have been an easy one to make.

The Canucks were already phasing out anthem singer Mark Donnelly | Offside (dailyhive.com)

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Sure see some truly ridiculous posts in this thread.

How ignorant, stupid or dishonest does one need to be to claim that everyone has the inalienable right to publicly advocate and practice selfish dangerous illegal behaviour?

Or to claim that wearing a mask "spread viruses more than no mask."

Those who purport to believe this crap should volunteer to work in the Covid wards of the hospitals, with no masks of course. It would be an enlightening week or two for them, until they started to cough and feel feverish...

Just curious, would you go work at a COVID ward in your cloth or disposable medical mask?

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just curious, would you go work at a COVID ward in your cloth or disposable medical mask?

I wouldn’t but that’s because the purpose of a cloth mask is different to medical PPE.

cloth masks reduce transmission from you. Medical PPE is designed to reduce infection both to and from the bearer. It’s a false equivalence you are painting 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

I wouldn’t but that’s because the purpose of a cloth mask is different to medical PPE.

cloth masks reduce transmission from you. Medical PPE is designed to reduce infection both to and from the bearer. It’s a false equivalence you are painting 

So why are you implying someone who doesn’t believe that cloth or disposable masks work should go work in a COVID ward without proper protection?

• Wat 1