The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

2 minutes ago, Tystick said:

No I'll gladly respond, thanks though.

The efficacy of all masks against different sizes of particles has been studied and I encourage you to read into them because they are very interesting.

As I stated before, when wearing a surgical mask, 0.3-0.5 um particles are filtered at a 74-90% efficacy depending on whether the subject was talking, breathing, coughing, or sneezing.

COVID-19 is somewhere in between 0.06-0.14 um in size. Logic suggests there may be some effect, but once again, 100 particles is all it takes.

This is all in assumption that people are wearing their mask properly and 100% of the time.

We must account for human error which is logically rampant. 

IMO these measures are doing nothing.

Agree to disagree, let's just all try to get along.

there are studies that show they are effective in blocking respiratory droplets that carry covid-19. Covid particles may be smaller but many of the droplets that carry the particles aren't. Masks aren't 100% effective but they do play a role in preventing the spread of the virus, especially if everyone is wearing one. There are many, many studies to prove this. Places like Australia and New Zealand are generally living their lives the same way they did pre-covid because the vast majority of people believed the science and took it seriously from the start. You didn't have that here or in most places

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

1. I don't wish death upon anyone. The whole point in masks is to AVOID death.

2. I am all about saving lives. That's what this is all about. This is what standing up against anti-maskers is all about. If you think this "culture" you're defining is about wishing death on others, you have no idea on reality at that point. You're living in fear just because heaven forbid you have to wear a mask. Get your head out your butt.

I'm not the one wearing a mask everywhere I go, I'm not living in fear. The virus transmits from person to person contact, just like any other virus, it's not abundant in the air.

What's your evidence that anti-maskers are killing people?

• Wat 2

Just now, Tystick said:

I'm not the one wearing a mask everywhere I go, I'm not living in fear. The virus transmits from person to person contact, just like any other virus, it's not abundant in the air.

What's your evidence that anti-maskers are killing people?

It's called spit particles and physics dude.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -Stammer- said:

there are studies that show they are effective in blocking respiratory droplets that carry covid-19. Covid particles may be smaller but many of the droplets that carry the particles aren't. Masks aren't 100% effective but they do play a role in preventing the spread of the virus, especially if everyone is wearing one. There are many, many studies to prove this. Places like Australia and New Zealand are generally living their lives the same way they did pre-covid because the vast majority of people believed the science and took it seriously from the start. You didn't have that here or in most places

We'll see if this is true since there was a massive increase in people wearing masks from the mandate.

We should see a drop in cases very soon.

7 minutes ago, Tystick said:
1 minute ago, Tystick said:

No I'll gladly respond, thanks though.

The efficacy of all masks against different sizes of particles has been studied and I encourage you to read into them because they are very interesting.

As I stated before, when wearing a surgical mask, 0.3-0.5 um particles are filtered at a 74-90% efficacy depending on whether the subject was talking, breathing, coughing, or sneezing.

COVID-19 is somewhere in between 0.06-0.14 um in size. Logic suggests there may be some effect, but once again, 100 particles is all it takes.

This is all in assumption that people are wearing their mask properly and 100% of the time.

We must account for human error which is logically rampant. 

IMO these measures are doing nothing.

Agree to disagree, let's just all try to get along.

The virus is transferred on the water droplets though. So you need to be taking the water droplet size into account.

Look man, it's really hard for anyone to have their opinions called out on a public forum. I really do appreciate you staying with the discussion. I have to be completely honest, I had this same discussion with my wife back in March. She is a doctor and a public health researcher, beautiful talented lady. I was questioning things with the exact same argument you are making! So I know what you mean. Anyway, she gently explained to me how we are trying to do anything we can to reduce the spread, to not overwhelm Healthcare systems, to keep beds open for other people who need them... for heart attacks, accident victims, stroke victims... 

She was kind enough to not rub it in as my opinion changed. 

Anyway, I'm off to help my dad, who did have a heart attack during the pandemic. We are all in this together. Let's all leave space for opinions to change. Hope you got something out of the discussion today.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

We'll see if this is true since there was a massive increase in people wearing masks from the mandate.

we have already seen the 7 day average this week stay flat. We'll see if that continues but it's not an instant fix, it could take 2-3 more weeks to really see a difference. But after Christmas and new years a spike is practically guaranteed because many aren't willing to celebrate virtually

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

People just don't want to be told what to do. I for one wear a mask if a business requires me to. No big deal, a private company has the right to request these things. I also wear shoes and a shirt when I go to a restaurant in the heat of summer. If I can help people feel more comfortable and do my part, then who cares!

I think, though this is a mis step by Aquaman, people should have a right to their opinion. You may hate people speaking against masks and restrictions, but, there are also Cowardly politicians. Sheep citizens, and chicken little running around. There is more nuance to this than right and left. Should we live in fear? No. Should we run around yelling at people that ask us to wear a mask? No. But we should be able to express our opinions, or has the government also become our moral betters? I thought this was Canada, the land of cynicism and distrust of the government. Or do we all just want to pretend we will all be ok if we just do what we're told.

My fear is that this is the leading edge of authoritarianism becoming more rampant. Once we are programmed to listen to rhetoric based on fear, we are done for. So cheers for the ones who are fighting against this even if they may be morally wrong in the short term, you may find they were right in the long term.

I personally feel as though most of this lock down hysteria is completely hypocritical. Go ahead and protest, riot and loot in the hundreds and thousands, but you can't get together with the family at Christmas (That's the real danger....ok). Face it, most people don't want to think, they want to be told what to think, then fall asleep psychologically with their favorite vice and watch Netflix..Nothing to see here. SMH

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like your message of compassion, but imo its misplaced here. 

MD certainly has the right to say what he wants. But don't confuse that with his professional responsibilities. MD chose to make his thoughts public, and in the role of an ambassador or sorts for the Canucks organization he has a responsibility to not reflect badly on the organization. Your freedom of expression rights don't absolve you of your employment terms. 

Thank you! 

You made such an excellent point, thank you for expressing it so well.  

You're right, he should not have made that public,  the Canucks organization can't have that type of thought or representation within their ranks as it undermines their operation.

Having said that,  Human Resources and Management departments exist for a reason in the professional sphere and they shouldn't be intermingled with social media in most cases. 

Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Tystick said:

Yes, those "spit particles" can be extremely small.

Check this out.

Yes, the fact that they're small means you don't see them. They can still spread infection.

You literally just proved why you should wear a mask.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

The virus is transferred on the water droplets though. So you need to be taking the water droplet size into account.

Look man, it's really hard for anyone to have their opinions called out on a public forum. I really do appreciate you staying with the discussion. I have to be completely honest, I had this same discussion with my wife back in March. She is a doctor and a public health researcher, beautiful talented lady. I was questioning things with the exact same argument you are making! So I know what you mean. Anyway, she gently explained to me how we are trying to do anything we can to reduce the spread, to not overwhelm Healthcare systems, to keep beds open for other people who need them... for heart attacks, accident victims, stroke victims... 

She was kind enough to not rub it in as my opinion changed. 

Anyway, I'm off to help my dad, who did have a heart attack during the pandemic. We are all in this together. Let's all leave space for opinions to change. Hope you got something out of the discussion today.

I'm sorry to hear that and I agree that we don't want that too happen.

Hopefully the mask mandate works, we should see results soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tystick said:

and just to let you know, almost everywhere where there are restrictions has seen a dramatic decrease in cases of influenza. Considering covid is even more infectious than the flu, the amount of covid cases if there weren't restrictions would be much, much higher just taking flu comparisons into account. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, The Lock said:

Yes, the fact that they're small means you don't see them. They can still spread infection.

You literally just proved why you should wear a mask.

So the entire context is those particles can still get through the mask if they're small enough.

Studies have proven masks aren't going to protect you, but certain ones are more efficient than others.

And once again, this is all in assumption that people are sneezing or coughing with their mask on.

Sorry, haven't been seeing that.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

Nope, I prefer a culture of open-discussion, free thought, free speech. Just basic human rights.

I certainly wouldn't wish death upon someone because they had a different viewpoint than me.

The fact you think this is a human rights issue is all I need to know about you  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Tystick said:

So the entire context is those particles can still get through the mask if they're small enough.

Studies have proven masks aren't going to protect you, but certain ones are more efficient than others.

And once again, this is all in assumption that people are sneezing or coughing with their mask on.

Sorry, haven't been seeing that.

But it limits that though. That's the point. It's much harder for the disease to spread if you're wearing a mask.

People seem to be looking for a perfect solution when there is none. This isn't an all or nothing scenario. Prevention of spread from wearing a mask won't be perfect, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't wear it if it saves some lives. Do you at least agree with that?

• Cheers 2