The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

1 hour ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Listening to opinion even when you think it is wrong is a good thing. If the opinion is incorrect then why be afraid to confront it, it should be an easy discussion to disprove. Your remarks endorsing the shutting down of peoples freedom to express their own belief is moral authoritarianism... :rolleyes:

You'd think so. But your example only works with people who are able to change their minds. Lots of people aren't. And then there's the fanatics. If you've dealt with them a bunch you know what the firehose of falsehood/gish gallop is all about. Basically throwing untrue claims around faster than the other person can respond to them. Add a dash of whatabouting and projection. If its that person, and you recognise that person, there is no need to deal with them in good faith. Because they themselves don't deal in good faith. And once you have met that person a few times, they are easy to pick out just by the way they talk and act. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, The Lock said:

Okay. Here's a statistic for you: 1 family member killed from ignorance gives you a life of regret. At that point, none of the statistics you're bring up are going to matter.

Also, some people do have extremely large families. Also, even if you do have a small family, there's that chance of it happening. Just because it's "unlikely" doesn't mean it can't happen. 

Come on dude. You can't be this heartless about family in real life. All this backlash from ant-maskers just for just wearing a piece of cloth over your mouth and nose?

Every policy decision, every allocation of resources, every right is issued, ordered or protected in a system with moving parts against all other funding, demands, resources, scarcity of those resources and other rights.

What do you think the survival and mortality rate of this particular virus actually is?

Now you can take all resources and rights and redistribute and curtail them or do anything else you want in order to address that mortality rate.  Or I should say, you can campaign and lobby for whatever you think the proper allocation is to combat it.

But as I said, all of these rights, all of these resources, and all of these other priorities come at the cost of something else.  You don't fight covid with funds from the money tree, and you don't curtail other activities with privileges that grow on the freedoms tree.

Where you want to draw the various lines is up to you.  But people will die from one cause or another and one death from anything is too many.  But deaths from everything are going to happen, and indeed, various COVID related measures do have fallout elsewhere in the system as increased deaths elsewhere and lower quality of life or more poverty in other areas and so on.

• Wat 1

20 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Damn that sucks. He helped make Vancouver feel more distinct and unique despite only being an anthem singer.

Everybody doing a 180 from him too. How quickly public opinion can change.

Double Oof.

time to bring in Michael Buble! :towel: He was our anthem singer in the bubble anyways. :gocan:

He is a part owner of the giants but thats ok :D canucks come first lets go!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Anyway, I'm going to focus on the people who know what's right in situations like these. This thread's lost a bit of my faith in humanity though, but at least there are far more people who at least understand the situation.

Everyone just stay safe. And to anyone who doesn't think that mask is important, I do genuinely hope nothing bad happens to you or anyone you love and that it doesn't become a regret for the rest of your life. I already know a couple of people who went through exactly that.

What really works is social distancing, we should all be in lock down then. I personally, apart from  grocery shopping, where I will wear a mask out of curtesy, do not go where people are, my hobbies are outdoors and naturally isolate me from others, I may spend 1/2 hour a week near other people, that’s pretty safe no?

Now go look around Vancouver, people everywhere, clubs, restaurants, gyms, worse yet thinking they are invincible because they have masks on, who’s the real threat?

I posted a link earlier to YVR scheduled arrivals as well as flights that have arrived with confirmed COVID cases, doesn’t seem to be a concern, I truly find that odd.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

time to bring in Michael Buble! :towel: He was our anthem singer in the bubble anyways. :gocan:

He is a part owner of the giants but thats ok :D canucks come first lets go!

I vote Marie...she's really earned it and done us proud.  Love her.

• Like 2

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

What really works is social distancing, we should all be in lock down then. I personally, apart from  grocery shopping, where I will wear a mask out of curtesy, do not go where people are, my hobbies are outdoors and naturally isolate me from others, I may spend 1/2 hour a week near other people, that’s pretty safe no?

Now go look around Vancouver, people everywhere, clubs, restaurants, gyms, worse yet thinking they are invincible because they have masks on, who’s the real threat?

I posted a link earlier to YVR scheduled arrivals as well as flights that have arrived with confirmed COVID cases, doesn’t seem to be a concern, I truly find that odd.

See, with what you've described to me that you do, that's fine. I have no problem with that. And yes, we probably should have more lockdown although I do understand wanting some economy happening at the same time. 

I'm (fortunately) up in Prince George at the moment where we're more naturally spread out but it amazes me how people still don't do the social distancing (and were not even wearing a mask before the government stepped in). I literally had to ask someone to back off because they were only maybe like 1 foot behind me in a lineup. Luckily most of the time people seem to be good lately, but man. I try and really avoid places these days.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Anyway, I'm going to focus on the people who know what's right in situations like these. This thread's lost a bit of my faith in humanity though, but at least there are far more people who at least understand the situation.

Everyone just stay safe. And to anyone who doesn't think that mask is important, I do genuinely hope nothing bad happens to you or anyone you love and that it doesn't become a regret for the rest of your life. I already know a couple of people who went through exactly that.

Oh man, Richard, are you still here?! I said my bit pages ago and said you can't argue with ignorance. But I hear you ... it is very disconcerting.