Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Sad to see him go as he was the best anthem singer for any hockey team in Canada or perhaps the NHL. 

He performed for an organization that has an image to uphold and knew clearly what the consequences were if he put that image at risk.

Any other team would have made the same decision. The best thing about how Aquilini handled this, is that he didn't waste any time deciding whether it was the right decision or not. Toronto probably would have taken a week to decide the same fate.

I applaud him for not letting this drag out in the media for days.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wouldn't mind Buble at all. He is a huge Nucks fan.

Naw, can't afford him on a game to game basis. Give the gig to Marie Hui full time. She does a solid job and better to look at. Or, bring in Reggie Watts, a comedian-singer with a big following in Van to share with Marie. Hui's on first, Watts next.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

These statements are untrue.

 

We've already posted about this....I'm not going to dig it out but you should.  Please don't post misinformation.  While cloth masks aren't AS effective as N95's or medical masks, they still aren't "useless".  And, depending on how many layers and the material they're made from, they can be quite effective.

 

They're not intended to replace other measures or give a false sense of security....we still should keep distance from others and wash hands.  But wearing any kind of face covering is useful and better than none.

Actually it’s not misinformation. 
 

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577 


Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

 

statistical significants difference between the two. 97%... and you’re trying to say they’re not useless.... smh. Cloth is useless and telling people to use one over an n95 is the real misinformation. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Actually it’s not misinformation. 
 

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577 


Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

 

statistical significants difference between the two. 97%... and you’re trying to say they’re not useless.... smh. Cloth is useless and telling people to use one over an n95 is the real misinformation. 

 

 

If everyone was wearing n95’s there wouldn’t be enough for healthcare workers who really need them.    It’s droplets that we are trying to avoid, and most would stay inside the mask if an asymptotic (or symptomatic) sneezed or coughed nearby.   Add to the social distancing it’s a practical strategy.    n95’s are also disposable’s sure you can wash them a few times but their effectiveness goes down.    Sure it’s safer (to wear both), but not sure how responsible it is.   If the supply chain would support it maybe I would feel differently.    And IF a sick person sneezed on you, doubt it would make much difference, when you go and take it off and clean up your touching your face with the leftovers anyways. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

She is talking about people wearing t shirt fabric over their faces and acting like they dont have to social distance anymore. Of course that's ridiculous. 

 

This is one persons opinion piece from April. It doesnt take into account the numerous studies done on various types of mask efficacy since then. 

 

Fabric masks dont do as good of a job as an n95. However it's well documented that they have an effect, especially when of heavier material, double layered with a filter pouch in between, which is what is recommended for public use. 

 

Shes certainly correct in saying that the mask wont solve this problem alone. We need many more precautions in place. 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-0948_article 
 

The filtration effectiveness of cloth masks is generally lower than that of medical masks and respirators; however, cloth masks may provide some protection if well designed and used correctly. 
 

Notice may provide... CDC’s own site has no scientific proof that cloth masks do anything.


However, most studies of cloth masks were conducted in vivo and during the first half of the 20th century, before medical masks were developed. To our knowledge, only 1 randomized controlled trial has been conducted to determine the efficacy of cloth masks (4). 

 

one study which I posted before this that shows cloth is useless. But I’m being told the science says otherwise. No, it doesn’t. There is no evidence that shows cloth masks are effective on the contrary there is evidence of them being useless. 
 

I’m not arguing a cloth mask doesn’t stop some droplets but n95 are statistically significantly better 44% vs 97%... cloth really isn’t doing anything. CDC is trying to say the cloth masks might not have done so well because of the washing..well everyone is washing their cloth masks at home..


97% smh lol come on. 

 

  • Wat 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Actually it’s not misinformation. 
 

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577 


Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

 

statistical significants difference between the two. 97%... and you’re trying to say they’re not useless.... smh. Cloth is useless and telling people to use one over an n95 is the real misinformation. 

 

 

The N95 helps to protect you from the environment around you. It seals to your face and nose. Best all-round choice.  Most of the masks we ware for covid are used to protect the people around you. They don't seal to your face. That is why everyone needs to be waring them.  

All I know is that I work in a remote fly in site and we are mandated to wear a mask when outside of our rooms.( medical masks) I have not had a cold or bug of any sort this year. That is very unusual. Normally the planes and busses would be full of people showing signs of colds and......

If everyone wares a mask it dose seem to help stop reduce the transmission of viruses.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all I think it's a classless thing for FA to "fire" him on Twitter, unless he said it face to face first. He may be unhappy with his extra curricular activity and how the general public may perceive and transfer it onto the organization, but the man deserves the respect to be told in person.   

Secondly, I personally have been hoping the Canucks would cut ties with him for some time now.  I am so tired of his schtick, his gimmick. It would have been OK once or twice as a novelty thing, or maybe as a playoff tradition.  But to have it game in and game out was getting pretty tired. I mean how lazy is the guy? He sings half a song and then make the crowd sing the other but gets paid the same as the guy that does the entire song as he should.

 

please

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If everyone was wearing n95’s there wouldn’t be enough for healthcare workers who really need them.    It’s droplets that we are trying to avoid, and most would stay inside the mask if an asymptotic (or symptomatic) sneezed or coughed nearby.   Add to the social distancing it’s a practical strategy.    n95’s are also disposable’s sure you can wash them a few times but their effectiveness goes down.    Sure it’s safer (to wear both), but not sure how responsible it is.   If the supply chain would support it maybe I would feel differently.    And IF a sick person sneezed on you, doubt it would make much difference, when you go and take it off and clean up your touching your face with the leftovers anyways. 

I agree with people would be hoarding n95 and I also think it’s the cost... government mandates masks well n95 aren’t cheap... it’s political. 

 

If cloth was effective in some way it would have to be combined with social distancing, proper usage, proper cleaning, proper design and material there will be all these factors that have to be perfect and the vast majority of people wouldn’t do them all and that’s if they were shown to be effective, a big if. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I agree with people would be hoarding n95 and I also think it’s the cost... government mandates masks well n95 aren’t cheap... it’s political. 

 

If cloth was effective in some way it would have to be combined with social distancing, proper usage, proper cleaning, proper design and material there will be all these factors that have to be perfect and the vast majority of people wouldn’t do them all and that’s if they were shown to be effective, a big if. 

Of course they are affective.   And of course it matters how one uses them and how they clean them, touch their faces, hand hygiene etc.   Point is n95 masks area PPe required for our front line folks and perhaps the high risk ones too.  And disposable.    I’m not going to quote on the science on it other then the aerosol isn’t the issue - it’s the droplets - and it’s more about sick or asymptomatic folks from spreading it around.   Most of that would stay in their cloth masks.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Of course they are affective.   And of course it matters how one uses them and how they clean them, touch their faces, hand hygiene etc.   Point is n95 masks area PPe required for our front line folks and perhaps the high risk ones too.  And disposable.    I’m not going to quote on the science on it other then the aerosol isn’t the issue - it’s the droplets - and it’s more about sick or asymptomatic folks from spreading it around.   Most of that would stay in their cloth masks.  

cloth prevents large droplets from sneezing, coughing or even talking that's it. That is what cloth prevents. I posted an interview with an expert on infectious disease who went over this and nothing has changed since then despite what people here are saying. This is all political to make people think they are being safe and to give a false sense of security. 

 

  • Wat 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

This is wrong. Yes n95s are far superior in every way. Do you know how difficult they are to get ahold of. Do you know how few we even have at the average hospital in BC? I do. You posted a paper that compared apples and oranges and tried to pass it of as fact. That article you posted by no means said cloth masks are useless. That paper you posted is comparing cloth to medical, and yes medical is better. But if people don't have access to fresh medial masks each time they go out, a cloth is far better then nothing.

 

As someone who works in healthcare, and has experience and training and medical research I feel 100% comfertable saying you don't know what your talking about and you are spreading dangerous miss information during a pandemic.

I posted an infectious disease expert. I posted a controlled study. I posted the CDC statement on masks. You made a post where you can't even spell and expect me to believe you are a health care worker? Where? I would like to avoid this place. 

  • Wat 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

You posted one paper, and didn't even interpret its findings right. Then you attempt to belittle someone as an argument point. You are a dangerous person in todays climate and I sincerely hope you don't come into my clinic.

I am not surprised I have to repeat myself to you. I posted an infectious disease expert. I posted a controlled study. I posted the CDC own statement on masks. I am also not surprised you can't understand scientific data. You're also suggesting that if people bought n95 masks then there wouldn't be enough for healthcare workers.. which would then make cloth masks political. I've yet to see someone post one study on cloth masks that shows efficacy. You know why? because no study exists that shows the efficacy of a cloth mask. 

  • Wat 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -SN- locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...