The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

Unfortunately, this Pandemic is a real thing.  Ask our friends to the south who are close to 300K dead and forecasted to reach close to 600k (at least) dead by April !  While Canada isn't nearly as bad - we're unfortunately on the verge of losing control too, with numbers rapidly doubling every 8-10 days. 

Do the Math.  With a population of 330M that equates to one out of every 600 Americans will die or, one out of every approx. 400 adults over the age of 18 - WILL BE DEAD by April (adults are 76% of the population) .   Very real and pretty sobering and we certainly don't need that in our country - thank you very much! 

Although some of these deaths may be unpreventable - many are - with the simple unselfish act of wearing a mask.  A tiny inconvenience to ask from fellow friends & neighbors who have a heart and care about other people. (That's what makes us human)

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I stand by the quote I provided as tacit support of the activities of those people, especially in the context of the question and answer.

And even if you don't agree, it has no bearing on the validity of the other examples.  You're harping on one piece of evidence when I told you discard it if you wish.  I have more than met my duty here.

Why would I believe those other people supported rioting, when the first example did not?

Just now, gurn said:

Why would I believe those other people supported rioting, when the first example did not?

Again, you are arguing dishonestly here.  I only needed to provide one piece of successful evidence the first place to make my point in the original post.  I went above and beyond that and provided several.

You are now engaging in a dishonest tactic and a logical fallacy, pretending that if there are two good pieces of evidence and one that you don't find compelling, the latter piece of evidence means the others don't exist and aren't valid.

And you know you're doing it.

On top of which, I stand by the Pelosi quote and clip as effective evidence anyway.

• Wat 2

I wonder if there are any season ticket holders who are Antimaskers...

Mind you, how dumb is the term antimasker...like it's a thing lol

This world..I tell ya. we needed covid to run its course with this human race for sure.

"superspreader" really needs to happen.

1 minute ago, DarthMelvin said:

I wonder if there are any season ticket holders who are Antimaskers...

Mind you, how dumb is the term antimasker...like it's a thing lol

This world..I tell ya. we needed covid to run its course with this human race for sure.

"superspreader" really needs to happen.

I'd imagine that everyone wanting to eventually get in to a game will have to wear a mask or prove they're "safe" via vaccination.

I welcome that.

I also will be wearing my (Canucks) mask to games for a long time to come.  Jersey, hat, mask....good to go.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Unfortunately, this Pandemic is a real thing.  Ask our friends to the south who are close to 300K dead and forecasted to reach close to 600k (at least) dead by April !  While Canada isn't nearly as bad - we're unfortunately on the verge of losing control too, with numbers rapidly doubling every 8-10 days. 

Do the Math. With a population of 330M that equates to one out of every 600 Americans will die or, one out of every approx. 400 adults over the age of 18 - WILL BE DEAD by April (adults are 76% of the population) .   Very real and pretty sobering and we certainly don't need that in our country - thank you very much! 

Although some of these deaths may be unpreventable - many are - with the simple unselfish act of wearing a mask.  A tiny inconvenience to ask from fellow friends & neighbors who have a heart and care about other people. (That's what makes us human)

Where did you get your information word for word please?

I want a link...

Surely you are not in any position to make these points yourself out right.

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Again, you are arguing dishonestly here.  I only needed to provide one piece of successful evidence the first place to make my point in the original post.  I went above and beyond that and provided several.

You are now engaging in a dishonest tactic and a logical fallacy, pretending that if there are two good pieces of evidence and one that you don't find compelling, the latter piece of evidence means the others don't exist and aren't valid.

And you know you're doing it.

On top of which, I stand by the Pelosi quote and clip as effective evidence anyway.

you provided some names, said they had supported rioting, I checked out one and found your evidence wanting. Why should I go looking when your info is already not correct?

Anyhow here is a link where some  the celebs in question, are putting up bail money for protesters, not rioters.

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/george-floyd-protest-chrissy-teigen-and-more-donate-bail-money/

And as Deb had already mentioned- a silly comparison/what aboutism anyhow.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Where did you get your information word for word please?

I want a link...

Surely you are not in any position to make these points yourself out right.

He/she actually invited you to do the math.   

Please don't mini mod...we've got it covered and report is your avenue if you see something requiring attention.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

got a quote of Nancy saying "Go for it rioters?" Because what you posted is not support.

It is way too light on condemnation, but is not support.

The only ones supporting riots were Trump and his brainwashed minions. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I stand by the quote I provided as tacit support of the activities of those people, especially in the context of the question and answer.

And even if you don't agree, it has no bearing on the validity of the other examples.  You're harping on one piece of evidence when I told you discard it if you wish.  I have more than met my duty here.

And what does this have to do with masks and Donnelly being fired? You're a two wrongs makes it right kind of guy aren't you. There will always be those who are opportunistic using bravery in numbers for destruction and looting because they believe they can get away with it.

I don't care which side it is - wrong is wrong. I'm a democracy kind of person and I've said for decades politicians are often too worried about losing votes to do anything about something controversial. If you want confederate monuments removed, petition to have it on the next municipal or state ballot depending on whose land the monument is on. Let the majority rule and accept their choice and that decision stands for the next decade when it can be petitioned again. For myself I don't see commemorating those who fought for slavery as a particularly good thing. In Germany they have no monuments or statues of Nazi leaders and it's against the law to display any form of Nazi symbolism because they are not proud of what they stood for. History doesn't cease to exist from a lack of statues and monuments but there's no need to memorialize an evil cause or those who fought for it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I wear a mask everywhere I go and will continue to do so. People should wear masks. Store owners have the right to refuse giving their business to people not wearing masks. I think protesters are dead wrong about this issue. But above all, people have the right to express their opinion without fear of their livelihood being stripped. This is not a baked goods store that didn't want to give you a cupcake because you're not wearing a mask. A man lost his livelihood because of an opinion. This is not a democratic state. It's very dangerous grounds. I hope none of you find yourselves in a position where you have to choose between standing up for what you believe or having a job. Free speech reigns supreme above all. Always. Even above the right to get free health care because free speech is what gave you the right to discuss the merits of free health care. This should be absolutely unacceptable to us as a society. People need to feel comfortable expressing opinions that are not agreed upon. That's how progress happens. So many in today's society are unwilling to hear another side while claiming progressive thinking, I hope society as a whole soon starts seeing the hypocrisy in that 

37 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I wear a mask everywhere I go and will continue to do so. People should wear masks. Store owners have the right to refuse giving their business to people not wearing masks. I think protesters are dead wrong about this issue. But above all, people have the right to express their opinion without fear of their livelihood being stripped. This is not a baked goods store that didn't want to give you a cupcake because you're not wearing a mask. A man lost his livelihood because of an opinion. This is not a democratic state. It's very dangerous grounds. I hope none of you find yourselves in a position where you have to choose between standing up for what you believe or having a job. Free speech reigns supreme above all. Always. Even above the right to get free health care because free speech is what gave you the right to discuss the merits of free health care. This should be absolutely unacceptable to us as a society. People need to feel comfortable expressing opinions that are not agreed upon. That's how progress happens. So many in today's society are unwilling to hear another side while claiming progressive thinking, I hope society as a whole soon starts seeing the hypocrisy in that 

16 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

People need to stop confusing freedom of speech from freedom of consequence.
He has every right to say what he wants but is not immune to consequence for his actions. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

People need to stop confusing freedom of speech from freedom of consequence.
He has every right to say what he wants but is not immune to consequence for his actions. 

43 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Store owners have the right to refuse giving their business to people not wearing masks. This is not a baked goods store that didn't want to give you a cupcake because you're not wearing a mask. A man lost his livelihood because of an opinion. This is not a democratic state.

3 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

For the average employee I agree, unless of course they make their employer is known in their activities. Then they are dragging their employer into their views. But when it's a high profile employee it's a little different. It's the difference between the anchorman and the cue card boy, or the celebrity chef and the dishwasher. One is high profile and identified with where they work while the other is an anonymous nobody. Thus high profile personalities put their job at risk if they create public controversy as it reflects on their employer. Freedom of speech can and does carry consequences. I fully agree that if an employee publicly reflects poorly on your business you have the right to terminate them. Hockey teams have expectations of the players, coaches, and staff on and off the ice and can they face fines, suspensions, and even contract termination. Should the anthem singer be any different?

Here's an example. An employee shows on their social media what they do for living and where they work. They are constantly posting and sharing posts promoting racism. The next thing you know your business is trending that it promotes or condones racism. Which obviously can have a rather negative effect not only on your business but reflect on you personally. Should you have the right to fire that person? I believe reflecting poorly on your employer away from work is no different then reflecting poorly while on the job. If your employer is known you're behavior, on the job or off, can affect their business and how the public views it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2