The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

21 minutes ago, Baggins said:

For the average employee I agree, unless of course they make their employer is known in their activities. Then they are dragging their employer into their views. But when it's a high profile employee it's a little different. It's the difference between the anchorman and the cue card boy, or the celebrity chef and the dishwasher. One is high profile and identified with where they work while the other is an anonymous nobody. Thus high profile personalities put their job at risk if they create public controversy as it reflects on their employer. Freedom of speech can and does carry consequences. I fully agree that if an employee publicly reflects poorly on your business you have the right to terminate them. Hockey teams have expectations of the players, coaches, and staff on and off the ice and can they face fines, suspensions, and even contract termination. Should the anthem singer be any different?

Here's an example. An employee shows on their social media what they do for living and where they work. They are constantly posting and sharing posts promoting racism. The next thing you know your business is trending that it promotes or condones racism. Which obviously can have a rather negative effect not only on your business but reflect on you personally. Should you have the right to fire that person? I believe reflecting poorly on your employer away from work is no different then reflecting poorly while on the job. If your employer is known you're behavior, on the job or off, can affect their business and how the public views it.

Most adults have jobs therefore are associated with their company in some way, but not everyone is a spokesperson for their company. What you're saying is if you're a public figure, you can't have your own personal opinion on things. Why? It doesn't mean it's your employer's stance on the matter, unless the person is actually the spokesperson or explicitly states that they are sharing their company's views on a certain matter.

The scenario you're proposing can be resolved with a public statement from the business saying that the views shared by that individual are not reflective of the views of the company. They can also make the employee issue a disclaimer that the views they are sharing are their own personal views and not reflective of their place of employment. It's the mob mentality that does not distinguish between personal views and organizational views that I have an issue with. It's like someone that can't distinguish between the actor and the character they play on TV. That line of thinking is not conducive to public discourse. People get outraged over anything that gets enough attention on social media. That's what gets it to that level of attention, there's enough controversy in it to be discussed. I never got the hate David Booth saw when he shared hunting pictures. It's his own personal time and his own personal actions, if you have a problem with it stop following him on Twitter. That doesn't mean the Canucks want their players to hunt in their free time. There are enough people out there that if you put forth any opinion there will be a faction of people that will be outraged.

35 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He didn't lose his job due to "an opinion".

It was his actions....ones that violated a Public Health order that's currently in place to protect all of us.

I'd argue that he doesn't currently have a job to lose...there's no hockey being played last I checked.   So he is a "former" anthem singer.

His opinion is what led to his protest which is an exercise in free speech. I don't support that, and never will. 

As for the semantics, it's a little too fine-tooth-combed, I'd rather discuss the ethics of the extent of a company's involvement in its employees personal opinions.

• Wat 2

34 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Most adults have jobs therefore are associated with their company in some way, but not everyone is a spokesperson for their company. What you're saying is if you're a public figure, you can't have your own personal opinion on things. Why? It doesn't mean it's your employer's stance on the matter, unless the person is actually the spokesperson or explicitly states that they are sharing their company's views on a certain matter.

The scenario you're proposing can be resolved with a public statement from the business saying that the views shared by that individual are not reflective of the views of the company. They can also make the employee issue a disclaimer that the views they are sharing are their own personal views and not reflective of their place of employment. It's the mob mentality that does not distinguish between personal views and organizational views that I have an issue with. It's like someone that can't distinguish between the actor and the character they play on TV. That line of thinking is not conducive to public discourse. People get outraged over anything that gets enough attention on social media. That's what gets it to that level of attention, there's enough controversy in it to be discussed. I never got the hate David Booth saw when he shared hunting pictures. It's his own personal time and his own personal actions, if you have a problem with it stop following him on Twitter. That doesn't mean the Canucks want their players to hunt in their free time. There are enough people out there that if you put forth any opinion there will be a faction of people that will be outraged.

Disclaimers are nice but will they actually prevent people from turning away from your business, or disparaging it, over a controversial employee. As in my racist example, would you lose business because you willingly employ a known racist? I believe employers have the right to protect their business from controversy. Particularly when it comes to high profile employees.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinions. But when those opinions are highly controversial and you make them a public spectacle they can, and often do, reflect on an employer who may want no part of it. Freedom of speech does not mean you can say what you want, when you want, where you want without consequences. Your behavior off the job can affect your employment just as much as behavior on the job. You have the freedom to choose which is more important to you.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I remember always watching Jim Cornelison just destroy the building before Hawks/Canucks playoff games.  
Then the series goes to Van and this shlub Mail’s it in for half the song.  
He was an overrated singer. 

First the abortion rally crap, now this.  
Hey Mark.   Make like Micheal Jackson and Beat It. 

The guy sucked plain and simple as a singer... good riddance

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

I liked his anthem and he far from sucked as a singer. As a person he leaves a lot to be desired though. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, wesley said:

I don't necessarily agree with his opinion on wearing masks. In fact, I am against it. But I have trouble with the firing. You don't get fired for expressing your opinions. Apparently, speech is free only if it fits certain narrative.

Many opinions can result in firings:

Racist, misogynistic, and homophobic expressed opinions

Threatening speech 

Speech that defies public health orders in place to protect people from contracting a deadly virus

Go tell your boss that your opinion of him is trash.  See how that goes.

Maybe with a union behind you you could be spared a firing...not sure.

If the narrative is one that can be harmful to others - makes sense to curb it.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

This is so stupid, I shouldn't even try; but ignorance and stupidity are two different things: stupid we can't fix, but education is enough to destroy ignorance.

One obvious difference from this crap you covidiots are spewing and reality, is that Donnelly did not get fired for attending a public rally.

He got fired for supporting and promoting, even singing as a herald, ignorant, stupid, and ultimately dangerous lies about how the general public should conduct themselves to help stem this deadly pandemic.

His 'employer' not only reacted correctly, but reacted swiftly enough to call him out for his abhorrent behavior and call on all of us to denounce their messages and misinformation before too much damage was (hopefully) done.

And he probably did not get fired "on Twitter"; Francesco knows to consult his lawyers and advisors before making public statements; and the statement was not to Donnelly, nor even telling him he was fired.

It was to the media to quit using "Canucks Anthem Singer" and consider "Former Canucks Anthem Singer" in their reporting as this was now his proper title; it was not firing Donnelly "on Twitter". 

So much crap out of these noisy fools; so little knowledgeable advice.

Democracy, free speech, other civil rights only enter this discussion as very important concerns that intelligent and informed people have previously fought and died to secure and defend.

Lest we forget.  Two world wars.  Thousands of people getting their heads cracked, imprisoned, abused, killed, ostracized, etc., for things like women's right to vote, unions right to strike,  and hundreds of other worthy causes that people sacrificed everything for because they are important and vital to proper growth of a modern enlightened society.

There is no inherent infringement of these rights for the government to insist that the general public wear masks to protect each other during a deadly global pandemic.

In Canada, we have actually suspended these cherished rights for the common good many times without losing any of our democratic rights and freedoms.

These rights were not so sorely won so that entitled covidiots could endanger the public, spreading their misinformation along with a virus capable of killing millions of people all over the globe by not wearing masks and not social-distancing properly.

In fact, we have strived to gain and protect these rights and freedoms so that megalomaniacs like Trump have greater difficulty succeeding in stirring up ignorant people with 'alternative facts' in order to allow them to behave like tyrannical dictators.

[Trump is on record as saying, when asked by reporters, before he ran for prez, if he was going to run, that he was not going to run, "but if I (he) was, I (he) would run under the Republican banner; because those people are so stupid, they will believe anything I say."] - I don't have time to get the quote for you, but it is out there and I can produce it if it would make any of you think twice and stop spreading this nonsense.

If you do not know these things, research them to ensure you are not guilty of this same spreading of misinformation, by coming on to this forum for example, and supporting other covidiots that are too lazy to learn the truth and think they are following some vanguard of protectors of the right to kill other people over a farting mask.

Don't be doing that here.  In fact, don't be doing that anywhere.

Get woke.  Or fart off and die (alone, preferably). 

But don't be trying to talk people into thwarting all our efforts to control the spread of this virus.

Where's the line between just showing up at a rally and promoting something?  

If he supports it, but don't do anything else but to show up at rally.... would that be considered as promotion and deemed as reason to get fired?  

At what point is just having "wrong think" is an actionable offense?  

BLM rally is perfectly fine since it's "good think", even though it violates what the health experts are promoting.  

But anti-mask rally is bad and is "wrong think", because it purposely goes against what the health experts are saying. 

Both goes against health guidelines and does spread the coronavirus.  Regardless of intention, action is what matters, and in terms of just actions, both are more or less the same.  

Don't get me wrong, I think being anti-mask is stupid, but it is slowly feeling like the concept of "thought crimes" is becoming a reality.  

6 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

Wouldn't say he sucked but I am kind of happy he will be gone as he reminds of losing in the cup final to Boston. Ready for some new energy. Marie Hui is my favorite anthem singer.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

Marie Hui on Larsch Cast said she is contracted with Nux to do a few games a yr and also this past playoffs, and is not employee, and that may be the case with Mark. So technically he is not fired, but won't be called back. 

About 50:00 in 

[The LarschCast] #84: The LarschCast on Sportsnet650 Dec. 6 ft. Jazzy B, Stacy Jo Rost, and Marie Hui #theLarschcast 
https://chtbl.com/track/1188D5/www.buzzsprout.com/386482/6728770-84-the-larschcast-on-sportsnet650-dec-6-ft-jazzy-b-stacy-jo-rost-and-marie-hui.mp3?blob_id=28329010

• Cheers 1