The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

9 hours ago, SNACanuck said:

I met Mark (he's friends with my cousin) at a Canucks game one time. Very nice guy, buuuuuut if he is an anti-masker I have no problem with his employer firing him. The way they posted it was a little unprofessional, but that's their call.

The anti-maskers in the USA are true nut bags. I've seen plenty being in Orange county and with the surge in cases, consider yourselves all lucky you are back Canada. People that whine about the fact Fauci came out saying don't wear mask at the beginning need to remember they did that to supply health care workers with PPE. Not because mask didn't work, it was that it did work the health care professionals needed them more than the general public. Our moron of a president didn't bother buying supplies other than taking free crap from Russia. You have to remember how inadequate the US response has been to the rest of the world. It's been an absolute cluster F*** down here.

The Scary part is that 71 Million people or 48% of the voters think Trump is the type of leader to best represent their wishes and values. You can't dream this stuff up and scares the Snot out of the rest of the "Normal" world to know what half of America stands for.

• Vintage 3

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

The Scary part is that 71 Million people or 48% of the voters think Trump is the type of leader to best represent their wishes and values. You can't dream this stuff up and scares the Snot out of the rest of the "Normal" world to know what half of America stands for.

Agree.  

But look at where they mostly are.  Rural White America.   Education is the key here.  Unfortunately these group of people have a history of not wanting to educate themselves.  

I thank my lucky stars everyday that i was born and raised up here, rather than into that nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

This somehow, at times, goes to a "freedom of speech" discussion but here's where it gets a little off track.   No one is stopping people from saying what they want...they are free to speak and even present a different opinion in all of this.  So it's not about their thoughts, ideas, opinions or speech.  "Tyranny".  Stay at home and put them out there for the world.  If you can advertise  your event on social media and people learn about it there, can't you share your "free speech" there?

They're "gathering" in a public space....that's their "right to protest".  Got it.  OK.  Can't deny them that.

Where I challenge things is:  It's advertised as:  "Part march/part parade.  Emphasis on being joyous, jovial and festive.  Opportunity to donate...bring cash and cheques.  Dress up in Christmas attire...bring jingle bells, there will be Christmas music...this is a time to celebrate, bring your family."

Excuse me?  So it's really a party?

Rights are important, I am all for fighting to NOT have them stripped away.  This sounds like more of an exploitation of them to me.  There's a flip side to rights that these people seem to somehow ignore:  "responsibilities".  

• Like 2

What I find interesting is KOS who has pages and pages of comments on the Coronavirus thread. Strangely is pretty quiet on this thread. 

This is an individual (Donnelly) supporting an anti-mask rally. So you'd figure he'd be praising the Canucks organization. Yet he's suspiciously absent. 

He's pretty quick to blame the Government. But doesn't seem to be all pro-mask when it comes to individuals. 

• Cheers 1

I am thrilled to hear Farnworth stating there will be possible consequences and fines at some of these rallies.  I'm sure they will assess party vs protest and have limitations on what people are doing AT these protests.  And that they are following guidelines.  You have the right to protest and freedom of speech.  You don't have the right to ignore public health orders and put others at risk.

Nurses are speaking out and I support them 100%.  They're out there, putting their lives on the line and these clowns are dancing in the streets at a time when it's dangerous to do so.  

Old news, but it sounds like he's had enough according to Global News.  These protests will likely start being scrutinized a little more (I hope).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It horrifies me that after the last 4 years we still have 71 million who think Trump is doing just fine down here. Being an American is the most embarrassing thing I have going for me right now. We’re the laughing stock of the entire world right now. Our pandemic response is an absolute joke. I live in Washington and the amount of anti-maskers in my area isn’t all that bad thankfully, but I have friends as family all around the country and in some parts it’s still really bad. The fact that we are 9 months into the pandemic and still have states that don’t even have mask mandates yet is disturbing! Americans always want to be first in everything, so it’s only natural that we’d be proud to lead the way in covid cases and deaths too.... 

As far as Donnelly goes, I’m glad the team has parted ways with him. I can appreciate his right to an opinion, but to do so in a very public manner for something as serious as this, I think it’s distasteful and wrong. I don’t know why masks are even a debate. If someone tells you that you can potentially save lives by wearing a mask, you put it on and don’t question it. Putting lives at risk is not something that should be debated. Even when you’re not working directly for the team at the moment, you’re still representing us and I do think it’s for the best that he is no longer represented by the organization. There’s certainly worse things he could be than an anti-masker, but this was the right move by Aquilini. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

"How about - blue for pass, red for shot!"  :picard:

Can't remember which commercial it was that poked fun at it... I think it was Bud Light, with the executive tossed out of the meeting with a coloured streak behind him.  :lol:

lol

now you've reminded me of those Cooper-Alls (?), those pant-suits that Philly and a couple other teams wore for a (thankfully) short period of time.

image.jpeg.6619ac6aee6d8b9d18f9883989fd8c42.jpegThird String Goalie: A Brief History of Cooperalls - From the Broad Street  Bullies to Brass Bonanza

20 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I wear a mask everywhere I go and will continue to do so. People should wear masks. Store owners have the right to refuse giving their business to people not wearing masks. I think protesters are dead wrong about this issue. But above all, people have the right to express their opinion without fear of their livelihood being stripped. This is not a baked goods store that didn't want to give you a cupcake because you're not wearing a mask. A man lost his livelihood because of an opinion. This is not a democratic state. It's very dangerous grounds. I hope none of you find yourselves in a position where you have to choose between standing up for what you believe or having a job. Free speech reigns supreme above all. Always. Even above the right to get free health care because free speech is what gave you the right to discuss the merits of free health care. This should be absolutely unacceptable to us as a society. People need to feel comfortable expressing opinions that are not agreed upon. That's how progress happens. So many in today's society are unwilling to hear another side while claiming progressive thinking, I hope society as a whole soon starts seeing the hypocrisy in that 

I believe store owners and employees should not enforce mask but they should have security guards forcing these rules on behave. Just a few weeks ago an employee at a walmart got attached and beaten because he asked a person to wear a mask. That's not safe for the employee, and by doing this you put them in unforgettable situation. U have seen the insane stories people going on rampages for being asked to put a mask on the last thing you need is for your employee to be hurt or worse. Anti mask can screw off

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I remember always watching Jim Cornelison just destroy the building before Hawks/Canucks playoff games.  
Then the series goes to Van and this shlub Mail’s it in for half the song.  
He was an overrated singer. 

First the abortion rally crap, now this.  
Hey Mark.   Make like Micheal Jackson and Beat It

i think that's also against his religious values 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What I find interesting is KOS who has pages and pages of comments on the Coronavirus thread. Strangely is pretty quiet on this thread. 

This is an individual (Donnelly) supporting an anti-mask rally. So you'd figure he'd be praising the Canucks organization. Yet he's suspiciously absent. 

He's pretty quick to blame the Government. But doesn't seem to be all pro-mask when it comes to individuals. 

Thinly veiled hatred for the NDP imo. Nothing more nothing less. Even when they increase restrictions they’re wrong and he moves the goal posts again.

Then insults people or repeats the “anti science” narrative when called out on it. 

• Upvote 1

Canucks don't want to have anti mask staff representing their company.  Who can blame them.  

I do really respect freedom of speech.....  but i also think employees that have a highly public profiile need to act professionally and in a manner that doesnt bring disrepute to thei employer.

Poor choce by  D

Other option would have been for the Canucks to ask him to not sing at the event and make a pro mask Public message ......  if he wanted to keep his contract with the club. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

If you can advertise  your event on social media and people learn about it there, can't you share your "free speech" there?

Oh they definitely share their views on social media (at least my crazy uncle does), but they are often banned for it. 

And that's a tricky situation. I understand the inclination to want to remove misinformation. Misinformation can be actively harmful if people believe it.

However, when people get banned from social media, they dont just go away. They find another medium through which they express their views. And then they are only surrounded by other knuckleheads repeating the same ignorant propaganda. 

It's been said before, but the only cure for bad information is to be exposed to better information. 

I think if society listened to and engaged with people who are misinformed, instead of forcing them to shut up, we wouldn't have such division on a lot of topics.