The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

6 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

Oh they definitely share their views on social media (at least my crazy uncle does), but they are often banned for it. 

And that's a tricky situation. I understand the inclination to want to remove misinformation. Misinformation can be actively harmful if people believe it.

However, when people get banned from social media, they dont just go away. They find another medium through which they express their views. And then they are only surrounded by other knuckleheads repeating the same ignorant propaganda. 

It's been said before, but the only cure for bad information is to be exposed to better information. 

I think if society listened to and engaged with people who are misinformed, instead of forcing them to shut up, we wouldn't have such division on a lot of topics.

but don't you think at some point they'd stop and ask why they are being shuffled into more and more radicalized sites? I guess its like the frog in water story, they don't realize the water is getting warmer until its too late. 

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

Oh they definitely share their views on social media (at least my crazy uncle does), but they are often banned for it. 

And that's a tricky situation. I understand the inclination to want to remove misinformation. Misinformation can be actively harmful if people believe it.

However, when people get banned from social media, they dont just go away. They find another medium through which they express their views. And then they are only surrounded by other knuckleheads repeating the same ignorant propaganda. 

It's been said before, but the only cure for bad information is to be exposed to better information. 

I think if society listened to and engaged with people who are misinformed, instead of forcing them to shut up, we wouldn't have such division on a lot of topics.

I get what you are saying.......but I would just rather slap them on the side of the head with a slimy old dog salmon

You can not teach stupidity, it is something you are born with. And most wisdom is taught by experience.

I honestly wonder how many anti-mask people would work in a Covid unit without a mask? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but don't you think at some point they'd stop and ask why they are being shuffled into more and more radicalized sites? I guess its like the frog in water story, they don't realize the water is getting warmer until its too late. 

Yeah, I think we are all a product of our environments. I'm sure they were taught to think in these faulty ways from early on in their lives. 

You often hear their cries that their "truth" is being silenced. I absolutely think that would radicalize someone, if they think they have the truth but aren't allowed to tell anyone 

• Cheers 1

Yeah, I think we are all a product of our environments. I'm sure they were taught to think in these faulty ways from early on in their lives. 

You often hear their cries that their "truth" is being silenced. I absolutely think that would radicalize someone, if they think they have the truth but aren't allowed to tell anyone 

also, how often is that the case? I guess a loss of perspective is also part of the social media disorder. 

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I get what you are saying.......but I would just rather slap them on the side of the head with a slimy old dog salmon

You can not teach stupidity, it is something you are born with. 

Haha I hear you.

But stupidity is absolutely something that is taught. 

Racism, sexism, hatred, ignorance... all of these things are things we learn or unlearn by the modeling we got from our upbringing

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Nah........

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge

Stupidity, is having the knowledge and refusing to believe it !

And here I always thought it was the other way around! Hahahaha

Yknow, I tend to believe that people will always do the best they can, with the information and circumstances that they have at the time. If we see someone coming from a hateful, ignorant place, they might need our acceptance and validation most of all.

And here I always thought it was the other way around! Hahahaha

Yknow, I tend to believe that people will always do the best they can, with the information and circumstances that they have at the time. If we see someone coming from a hateful, ignorant place, they might need our acceptance and validation most of all.

You know

Ignorance, stupidity, racism, hate, bigotry are all taught...............usually passed down from generation to generation

My pa voted Republican, so I will and my son will......and so on

I was brought up in a house, where we were taught to question everything, and think for ourselves................................

I have no problem looking at the other sides POV, which I did, then I looked at the science and and who is talking and it wasn't hard to make an opinion

It is called critical thinking

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know

Ignorance, stupidity, racism, hate, bigotry are all taught...............usually passed down from generation to generation

My pa voted Republican, so I will and my son will......and so on

I was brought up in a house, where we were taught to question everything, and think for ourselves................................

I have no problem looking at the other sides POV, which I did, then I looked at the science and and who is talking and it wasn't hard to make an opinion

It is called critical thinking

Awesome! Kudos to your parents. People dont often teach their kids to think critically. That's great!

Just now, KristoffWixenschon said:

Awesome! Kudos to your parents. People dont often teach their kids to think critically. That's great!

You know, I am just an average guy........and I am surrounded by friends that are all smart and critical thinkers....

We have great discussions, and all end up in agreement........most times! LOL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

You can not teach stupidity, it is something you are born with. And most wisdom is taught by experience.

I honestly wonder how many anti-mask people would work in a Covid unit without a mask? 

I wonder how many pro mask people would work in a COVID unit if they only had cloth masks or the disposable surgical ones, I sure as heck wouldn’t.

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I wonder how many pro mask people would work in a COVID unit if they only had cloth masks or the disposable surgical ones, I sure as heck wouldn’t.

Covid unit =/= walking around the supermarket and is a completely illogical comparison at best. 

• Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I'd say none, as they are smart enough to realize different exposure rates mean different protective gear.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

But what Jan said is a logical comparison?

Actually yes, if anti maskers are so sure masks don't work, would they do it?

Pro-mask folk understand that masks in public situations REDUCE the rate of transmission, while still understanding you need more protection in a Covid unit. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Actually yes, if anti maskers are so sure masks don't work, would they do it?

Pro-mask folk understand that masks in public situations REDUCE the rate of transmission, while still understanding you need more protection in a Covid unit. 

That’s not true just because someone doesn't believe masks work doesn’t mean they’d go expose themselves to COVID, that’s just stupid. They know they can catch it from someone infected, they just feel that even if they had a mask they’d still catch it, so just like was stated, both pro and anti maskers would not work in a COVID center with cloth or surgical mask or without masks at all.

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That’s not true just because someone doesn't believe masks work doesn’t mean they’d go expose themselves to COVID, that’s just stupid. They know they can catch it from someone infected, they just feel that even if they had a mask they’d still catch it, so just like was stated, both pro and anti maskers would not work in a COVID center with cloth or surgical mask or without masks at all.

You're underestimating the stupidity of some/most anti-maskers