The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

9 hours ago, rychicken said:

Here is a link to unprofessional...add in tacky, disrespectful, tasteless and egoism

Why all the hate on the guy, he was our singer for years. He was an amazing anthem singer for our organization.  I don’t agree with his opinion on masks and I don’t agree with what he was standing up against but I think he could have been let go in a different way.  If that’s the direction our organization is willing to take.

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It’s not black and white though, masks, lockdowns, rules and regulations all have there negative points to, how much has suicide gone up or spousal abuse or alcoholism, how many people lost their businesses and/or livelihoods. I heard somewhere and can’t discredit or verify that more teens than the norm for a year died of suicide this year than COVID. How many mask wearers were infected or infected others because they ran around like they were bulletproof. Quebec has the highest per capita deaths in all Canada, higher than that of the US and masks have been mandatory since July. Even if masks were 100% the problem is still people.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-suicide-rate-down-during-pandemic-as-come-together-effect-observed-1.5157231

B.C. suicide rate down during pandemic as 'come together effect' observed

Penny Daflos

Penny DaflosMulti-media journalist, CTV News Vancouver

@PennyDaflos Contact

Published Thursday, October 22, 2020 6:02PM PDTLast Updated Friday, October 23, 2020 7:59PM PDT

Experts call the mental health challenges brought on by COVID-19 an echo pandemic – but there is some encouraging news.

VANCOUVER -- One of the mental health concerns raised about strict lockdowns and economic impacts stemming from the pandemic hasn’t come about – in fact, the opposite has happened. The suicide rate in B.C. has gone down during COVID-19.

Data tracked by the BC Coroners Service shows that the number of suicide deaths from January to August of 2020 decreased by seven per cent compared to the same time period of 2019.

“There is a very predictable effect whenever there’s a crisis: it’s called the ‘come together effect.’ It’s been seen during floods and hurricanes and wartime,” said University of British Columbia associate professor in suicidology and child psychiatry Dr. Tyler Black.

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MNaslund?? said:

Why all the hate on the guy, he was our singer for years. He was an amazing anthem singer for our organization.  I don’t agree with his opinion on masks and I don’t agree with what he was standing up against but I think he could have been let go in a different way.  If that’s the direction our organization is willing to take.

I suggest you ask a Canuck fan who just lost their father to Covid the same question after they see him on the news standing next to a anti mask sign.

• Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Instead of being so divisive, we should learn to understand others and come together rather than behaving like children and pointing the finger all of the time. 

Gotta love everybody going from loving this guy to taking a dump on him overnight. Classic. 

You might want to lead by example then, instead of do what I say not what I do.

We're divisive because this is serious stuff...in or out.  Do or die, literally.   So on most things, yes.  But when it comes to a deadly worldwide pandemic, people are up in arms for a reason.   We're sacrificing everything and don't really appreciate people discarding health orders because they have different ideas.  Those different ideas will kill people.

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think it is very black and white. The problem is, people are spoilt, and want everything and will give nothing. All the while, doctors and nurses, are puttingtheir life on the line every day.........not to mention a gambit of other selfless people, giving their all.

I see it as this........ every time you find sometime, like masks, hand cleaners, soap, restrictions, automatic doors, tap debit machines, 6 ft rule, etc.....you reduce the risk of infection by a certain percentage..........

Take note of Wuhan, where they actually ordered everyone into their houses to control and eliminate the virus................so we know separation works

Take a look at Taiwan where they are using masks, hand washing and distance...........they have one of the lowest rates of Covid in a very high density community

So, no a mask is not everything, but it is part of the solution, and it is a lot better of a solution then everyone dying or being locked in your home like in Wuhan

It is your choice really........

PS........I find it very hard to talk to people who think they know more than world renowned scientists, who repeatedly tell us the answer..........

They will quote a few quacks, who come out of the wood work, as smarter than all the rest.......including the world renown

To me, you can not teach people with their ears shut................so count yourself as a brother, and worth my effort.......not that I am any thing special

But, people have to trust...........and our rights have only been stretched a little

Think about Russia, where Putin just ordered his military to all get his vaccine, that has only had stage 2 trials................All of his military!

That is no rights! THat is what it could come down to if a Virus goes crazy................no rights!

It's black and white to you though. It's not to a lot of people. You're okay with social lives being ruined, small businesses shutting down, the economy going into the toilet, etc. because it saves lives. You're willing to take up that sacrifice for a very small minority of the population to stay safe. Like it or not, by doing this we are absolutely ruining the future of many of those who would benefit from the world not tanking in this manner. You're thinking extremely short term while the other side is thinking extremely long term. 

Like it or not, this virus is extremely survivable if you're under the age of 70. Overwhelmingly survivable. The regular flu impacts lower ages far worse than covid does. We are sacrificing the future of many young generations and business owners and future business owners to save the lives of those already most vulnerable and likely to die. 

People have different values and this is obviously one of those cases. You claim they don't consider life, but they consider life in a different manner than you do. I'm not 100% certain but I'd estimate that anti-maskers are taking a stand for principal, rather than a stand against masks. 

These people aren't as stupid as you think they are. Most are actually very reasonable individuals and actually do research, they just have different priorities. 

• Wat 2

9 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Lol, not a good example there bud. Japanese suicide rate has always been extremely high with or without Covid.

True but they are up over quite a bit last year, the article about BC also stated the come together effect for lowering rates which wears off, also we didn’t have mandatory masks till recently and the lockdown they implemented on families over the holiday, we’ll see how it goes.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

14 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I suggest you ask a Canuck fan who just lost their father to Covid the same question after they see him on the news standing next to a anti mask sign.

Why would I ask, what does this have to me? I never said I agreed with mark I just think that if someone has a different opinion they are not automatically a bad person who doesn’t understand or care about the lives of others, maybe he’s just ignorant 

Just now, MNaslund?? said:

Why would I ask, what does this have to me? I never said I agreed with mark I just think that if someone has a different opinion they are not automatically a bad person who doesn’t understand or care about the lives of others, maybe he’s just ignorant 

You basically asked why we hate on the guy and I posed a rhetorical question to you that may give you a clue as why we do.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

You might want to lead by example then, instead of do what I say not what I do.

We're divisive because this is serious stuff...in or out.  Do or die, literally.   So on most things, yes.  But when it comes to a deadly worldwide pandemic, people are up in arms for a reason.   We're sacrificing everything and don't really appreciate people discarding health orders because they have different ideas.  Those different ideas will kill people.

You neglect the fact that you'll also kill people in other ways as well. Stress is one of the biggest leading factors in bodies breaking down and creating susceptibility to disease and other negative life impacts such as high blood pressure, heart attacks, organ damage, etc. I would know, I'd say probably 10% of emergency cases I deal with personally on a daily basis are stress induced. We neglect this because we look at death totals. In the uk they estimate 180,000 deaths are a result of stress induced incidents. Things like cancer, strokes, diabetes, heart related stuff, all linked to stress. By straying away from normalcy and routine, we add to those numbers significantly. Isolation leads to depression. This is the most stressful time in most peoples' lives. 

It's very easy to look at the black and white picture. We see total deaths and it's shocking. The elderly are at serious risk. Meanwhile, most other age groups are looking at other risks that are far more serious to them. Financial strain, further monopolization of industries, poor education, increased stress, soon to be higher taxes and further divide between inflation VS average income, traditions being banished, etc. 

There's a lot they're fighting for too. They're fighting for a standard of living. It's very easy to see from a health perspective that this is serious stuff. But for many, it really isn't. I have hardly any fear about getting the virus myself, and most of my peers don't because we are younger and statistically it doesn't affect us except for the very rare odd occasion. Most of my generation practices good health measures selflessly for people like grandparents or our fruends' grandparents or our own parents. We know that this is absolutely killing the economy and we are gonna pay for it. We know this is gonna lead to increased depression rates and that our mental health is gonna suffer for it. Most of us choose this because we've been raised to be selfless. However like it or not, the real world doesn't care about how selfless we are. Life always moves on without us. 

I think it's unfair to say they don't take it seriously, they just don't take it seriously in the manner you'd like them to. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Well I do agree with you on that.  When I turned on global news, the first thing that was said was "Christmas is Cancelled"

It is, someone told Santa you’ve been good and he died laughing.

sorry, couldn’t resist that set up.

• Haha 1