The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

17 hours ago, spur1 said:

Lol he is even wearing the Trump signature red tie. I find it mind boggling how many Canadians that have been sucked into the Trump vortex. 

It's the damn Fox network. I have the odd (really odd!) friend who spouts the same nonsense as Trump and they say they get all their info from Fox. It's unbelievable and scary how many gullible people there are who buy into the lies and conspiracy theories. God bless America.

LOL at this thread. The discussion has gone like the virus... it peaks, then flattens, and peaks again .. and repeat. I got infected in the first wave and walked. Time for a vaccine?

I wonder how the "younger generation" would respond if only old folk had guns and walked around shooting at random young folk. 

I'm old so why should I care about young people?

The inability to think beyond oneself seems to be growing in society. Unfortunately, even after this pandemic, I expect that type of thinking to increase.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wonder how the "younger generation" would respond if only old folk had guns and walked around shooting at random young folk. 

I'm old so why should I care about young people?

The inability to think beyond oneself seems to be growing in society. Unfortunately, even after this pandemic, I expect that type of thinking to increase.

it doesn't have to be that extreme, next time it might be a virus that effects the young far more than the old.

Kids are going to be kids. Its the X's and boomers that know better that still do things like go to AB for hockey tourney's that irk me. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wow, I thought all the "hate Jake" and "hate JB" threads brought out the worst of CDC. But this thread has some truly disgusting people showing their colours. 

"D'uh, everyone's entitled to their own viewpoint, and it only makes sense to let the old and the weak die, I'm young and healthy, not my problem."

Seriously. Makes me wonder who raised these ignorant, selfish bigots. 

6 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Seriously. Makes me wonder who raised these ignorant, selfish bigots. 

I blame the modern education system.. too busy teaching concepts that have no real world value. 

People should be taught more about sociology, psychology, and personal finance. 

What is person supposed do in the real world with the Quadratic Formula? 

1 hour ago, drummer4now said:

I blame the modern education system.. too busy teaching concepts that have no real world value. 

Worst thing for the ruling class is educated people, harder to control.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

On 12/7/2020 at 11:36 PM, MikeyD said:

I agree. Covid has a much higher spread rate, but that doesn't mean that you can't just throw out questions of morality when you cannot feasibly say where to draw the line between standard natural selection VS this new pandemic. Is it fair to say you were okay with H1n1 killing the hundreds of thousands it did and walking around without a mask? 

H1N1 actually originated in the US and only has 12,469 deaths attributed to it over the first year within that country. H1N1 was more contagious (estimated at 60.8 million cases in the US first year) than standard influenza and was harder on the young rather than the elderly. For perspective, in 2019 influenza resulted in 34k deaths. So H1N1 resulted in more cases and hospitalizations than standard influenza but fewer deaths. So it's a rather poor comparison considering the US is approaching 300k Covid deaths in less than a year.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Worst thing for the ruling class is educated people, harder to control.

This seems like a backwords theory. I would argue the exact opposite. On average educated people tend to make more money the uneducated people. People with less income are far easier to control through use of debt then people who have money. Uneducated people are easy to control because you can convince them they have the control, when they have none. Proof of concept is the entire bottom of the American reuplican pyramid. Money equals freedom, and education opens the door to a higher possibility of obtaining more money. 

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, drummer4now said:

The education system has little to do with the selfishness. I attribute the selfishness  at least in part to smaller families and parents spoiling kids more now than they could/did with larger families.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

H1N1 actually originated in the US and only has 12,469 deaths attributed to it over the first year within that country. H1N1 was more contagious (estimated at 60.8 million cases in the US first year) than standard influenza and was harder on the young rather than the elderly. For perspective, in 2019 influenza resulted in 34k deaths. So H1N1 resulted in more cases and hospitalizations than standard influenza but fewer deaths. So it's a rather poor comparison considering the US is approaching 300k Covid deaths in less than a year.

H1N1 affected more young people than it did old people. Like this Coronavirus being different from other ones this variation of H1N1(Swine Flu) was different than other H1N1 flus. Older people had more immunities likely due to being exposed to other H1N1 viruses at some point in their lifetimes while younger people didn't have these sort of antibodies.

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus. Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated.

Though the 2009 flu pandemic primarily affected children and young and middle-aged adults, the impact of the (H1N1)pdm09 virus on the global population during the first year was less severe than that of previous pandemics.

IMO I think that the overall populations immune systems were better prepared for H1N1 than COVID. It happening within the US was probably helpful for the States since they can recognized and get on top of it better rather than the unknown of it coming from other regions. Could be much harder to control that way. Also I am not sure whether or not H1N1 is easier to detect than Corona since Corona can linger without you knowing till the symptoms take a bad turn, allowing you to unknowingly infect others.

Overall it is hard to compare the two. I do believe after this current pandemic that there will be a lot more urgent world action when another virus pops up in a country to prevent it from getting out of hand.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

This seems like a backwords theory. I would argue the exact opposite. On average educated people tend to make more money the uneducated people. People with less income are far easier to control through use of debt then people who have money. Uneducated people are easy to control because you can convince them they have the control, when they have none. Proof of concept is the entire bottom of the American reuplican pyramid. Money equals freedom, and education opens the door to a higher possibility of obtaining more money. 

Huh? I said educated people are hard to control, you said uneducated are easy to control, aren’t we saying the same thing?

On 12/7/2020 at 10:29 PM, MikeyD said:

It's black and white to you though. It's not to a lot of people. You're okay with social lives being ruined, small businesses shutting down, the economy going into the toilet, etc. because it saves lives. You're willing to take up that sacrifice for a very small minority of the population to stay safe. Like it or not, by doing this we are absolutely ruining the future of many of those who would benefit from the world not tanking in this manner. You're thinking extremely short term while the other side is thinking extremely long term. 

Like it or not, this virus is extremely survivable if you're under the age of 70. Overwhelmingly survivable. The regular flu impacts lower ages far worse than covid does. We are sacrificing the future of many young generations and business owners and future business owners to save the lives of those already most vulnerable and likely to die. 

People have different values and this is obviously one of those cases. You claim they don't consider life, but they consider life in a different manner than you do. I'm not 100% certain but I'd estimate that anti-maskers are taking a stand for principal, rather than a stand against masks. 

These people aren't as stupid as you think they are. Most are actually very reasonable individuals and actually do research, they just have different priorities. 

We have no idea what long term side effects of covid are.

Also if we just went about our business who knows what hospitalization rates would be.

Once hospitals are full, care will be rationed and more people will die.

Based on current death rates in the U.S, if everyone got Covid there would be 6m plus dead.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Huh? I said educated people are hard to control, you said uneducated are easy to control, aren’t we saying the same thing?

That's fair, I re-read what I wrote and it didn't fully express what I was trying to say properly. Problem with being on a phone tying to type these things out. My bad

Edited by shayster007
  • Haha 1

And after reading the crap that came out of that twit's head (Arlene Laing) and the b.s. she wrote in the province "opinion" 

letter to the editor, Last I saw the health and safety of everyone is not up for anyone's "opinion" and shame on the "province" newspaper for letting it get published at all.. what a joke.. 

I can't believe she actually wrote, it's not about the virus, how could anyone be that clueless? 

https://theprovince.com/opinion/letters/letters-to-the-province-dec-8-2020-a-sad-day-for-democracy-canucks-dismiss-mark-donnelly-for-singing-o-canada/wcm/a994fdf7-98e8-4c20-883c-e36aa60ed632/amp/

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, iceman64 said:

And after reading the crap that came out of that twit's head (Arlene Laing) and the b.s. she wrote in the province "opinion" 

letter to the editor, Last I saw the health and safety of everyone is not up for anyone's "opinion" and shame on the "province" newspaper for letting it get published at all.. what a joke.. 

I can't believe she actually wrote, it's not about the virus, how could anyone be that clueless? 

https://theprovince.com/opinion/letters/letters-to-the-province-dec-8-2020-a-sad-day-for-democracy-canucks-dismiss-mark-donnelly-for-singing-o-canada/wcm/a994fdf7-98e8-4c20-883c-e36aa60ed632/amp/

Yeah, it's amazing how many people choose not to understand that freedom of speech must have limitations in a civilized society. It is not acceptable to advocate actions that break the law or that endanger lives, which MD chose to do. 

• Cheers 1