Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

U know this is fake, there people on Twitter actually believing it 

Yes, I am well aware that @PRiMETiMESNOOP is not the official Flames PR account that it pretends to be.  It's still funny as hell.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

They do have that right....they just can't visit public places, that's all.  The part you're missing is that business owners have rights too.  

 

The evidence is more leaned toward maks helping...it's common sense.   Ever notice that doctors and nurses have been wearing them long before covid?  It's not a new thing.

 

You don't spew as many droplets when wearing a mask (duh).  Sneeze when you're driving and check your windshield.  Then do it again wearing a mask.  It isn't rocket science.

 

People have to:  wear seatbelts, not smoke near others, refrain from drinking and driving, etc.   There are many things that are "controlled" because, in society, it's not just about ourselves.  We have to also think of others as responsible citizens of the world.

 

I don't get the whining over masks...they're not "tough" to wear.  

You are nicer than me......I would have broken a few dishes......................Over his friggin Head

 

People.  just put the frigging mask on and stop your stupid sniveling!

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

TBH he'll probably be back at some point. It wouldn't come to a shock for me after this all dies down.

 

Not anytime soon or in the near future though.

I doubt he will be back now.. the team is going towards a young blood direction and like others have said has passed his prime.

But I will surely miss him especially during his prime during the Olympics and playoffs. 

 

Too bad he got canned voicing his opinion. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Gee, it's not like he had child porn on his laptop and money transfers with the Ukraine! 

Nope, what he did is much worse, much, much worse, we’re talking make pedophile thieves look like saints type of worse.

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Like I said context matters. Some things just can't be said/believed. These types of things are usually universally disagreed upon by everyone though. Like if someone is being openly racist then 99% of people will agree to can their ass. Hell I might be more willing to go the extra mile if something like that happened in front of me being mixed ethnicity

 

A fine line has to be drawn though protecting free speech(differing opinions) otherwise you get people afraid to speak their minds and following the herd, hence indirect suppression(like Hollywood). The online world made this a lot worse in this regard. It is really easy to discredit/ruin/fire someone. The question is whether or not it is deserving when dealing with these areas that aren't clear cut(aka grey areas).

 

My whole point with that spiel was to bring awareness about it and to encourage investigation and discussion when things aren't clear cut rather than going with the flow. Disagreement is healthy and you broaden your own perspective when opening yourself up to different ones.

 

As I said, Unsure with this one. Don't exactly know the whole story but leaning toward it being understandable from the Canucks given the context known. I just don't like seeing someone like MD getting tossed aside, like from some comments here. He had a lot of good history here.

Context does matter, absolutely. We don't live in a world of black and white, though black and white certainly do exist. There are numerous shades in-between.

 

The online culture has changed, even from when I was in my early teens. Being thirty I've basically grown up alongside the internet as we know it. The internet is Pandora's box in a way,  it's influence upon society and the world as a whole continue to become all the more impactful and there's no going back to what was despite many wishing we could. But yeah, that's a massive topic that could go any number of different directions. 

 

You're basically advocating critical thought and doing one's research as opposed to mindlessly consuming information. I don't disagree, though research in the age of misinformation and endless takes and agendas isn't as simple nowadays. 

 

It's unfortunate, I don't wish Donnelly ill, though I disagree with his choice. He was part of many memorable games and Canucks moments, regardless of his personal decisions that doesn't change. But it also doesn't shield him from the obvious repercussions. From a business standpoint it makes sense to me, given the Canucks position@Covid it makes sense to me. It's an unfortunate scenario, but that's 2020 for ya. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will never be convinced that sticking something in front of your mouth and nose that captures what your body is trying to shed then festers bacteria that grows in that warm, moist environment  that you suck back into your lungs can be healthy. Sadly my wife has to wear a mask for work but the mask she bought I can spray water through with a spray bottle and so far she’s been OK. There have been several people at her work that have had rashes around their mouth and one person that developed a lung infection, they were off work for 2 weeks then quit. On top of everything since it’s harder to hear people they get closer to each other, my wife struggles for personal space.

 

Luckily I don’t have to wear a mask 8+ hours a day, I will wear it where required by law but have changed my habits significantly. For instance, we live right beside sky train and I used it quite a bit but now I drive everywhere to avoid wearing the mask.

 

Remember when COVID made the news and we had the great TP shortage, people panic and I believe mask wearing is meant to made people feel like they have some sort of control otherwise it would be insanity out there.


What really scares me is how our rights are being sacrificed and Marks dismissal is just another example.

 

What really makes no sense is:

 

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/flights/arriving-flights

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/public-exposures-flights-tables-Current.pdf

 

Yeah, a guy gets fired for singing an anthem but we keep importing COVID cases.

 

Finally, one thing that actually does peeve me, most us live in shoe boxes but the politicians making the rules live in huge houses, I’m not supposed to have my 3 kids visit for Christmas but they can still go get their hair done and houses cleaned by maids, somehow maids are essential but family isn’t.

 

 My motto, don’t be a douche to the minimum wage employees forced to enforce the rules, suck it up, get in and out but also don’t be a sheep and believe people that lie for a living.

 

Read my lips, no new taxes.

 

Ponder this, why do doctors wear masks?

To prevent infections in the patients.

 

What causes infections?

Bacteria.

 

Masks are meant to stop the spread of bacteria which are significantly larger than viruses, that’s probably why the warnings on boxes of mask say “will not stop the spread of viruses including COVID”.

 

 

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Wat 5
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Did you watch any of the Canucks draft videos? Did you see how they were wearing masks? Do you have an instagram and follow the Canucks, have you seen the posts of players wearing masks? Have all our players and staff not undergone numerous tests to participate in the playoffs this past summer? The Canucks organization as a whole has been on board with the masks and the like for a good while, from the top down. They take Covid very seriously. Aqua's tweet further cements that. You don't think Donnelly choosing to participate in an event that directly opposes what's likely an organizational mandate at this point isn't a problem? You really don't think that in Vancouver of all places, particularly with Covid cases rising daily around the province, that media wouldn't be ripping on them if they'd stood by and done nothing? Or that having a very well known employee flout what's going on wouldn't look bad in the eyes of many of their fans and consumers? Donnelly made his choice, nobody forced him to make it. 

 

Is it also a business move? Absolutely, the Canucks are as much a brand as they are a team and most who work for the organization definitely aren't doing it for free. As for the government, you don't think the Canucks weren't in talks with them when Vancouver was being looked at as a potential hub city? They're not going to oppose the government on an issue that involves the health and well being of their employees and fanbase. 

Sure, they had to do that in order to please the league and the government officials in order for the playoffs to restart.  If they start to dissent the government policies, then it's in their right to shut things down in name of safety.  They need to play and gain some revenue flow in order for the government to approve.  If the government doesn't like an individual that is dissent to the government policies, the government cannot blackmail the owner to do this but the owner knew this that the government is the only way that they get some play-in possible by pleasing the government and do what they say is not the way to protect an individual that wish to investigate every fabric of the issue. 

 

If it weren't for any dissents, there would be no solution,  We still need to examine everything to make a decision from medical investigation to social issues investigation to economies policies investigation for all of the citizen to enjoy.   If there is any solution to any issues, everybody will be happy but there will always dissent that might be discontent because of his personal issues that the dissent might expect to turn their life around that is not government's fault.  We can then judge why they are dissent on this very issue and consideration is needed before jumping to the conclusion to any issue.  Perhaps, Donnelly had heard two sides of argument on the mask issue and became convince that this mandatory mask policy won't work and decide to participate on this protest and seek different alternative to the mask issue that would migrate the pandemic as whole.  Even with mask policy, the cases went skyrocketed worst than the first wave with no mask policy in place.  Wearing a mask is not 100% foolproof even scientific evidence said that you can still get infected with covid-19 by wearing the mask getting through the holes.  I do wear mask when going indoor in a public building out of respect toward others. 

 

You know, there are some dissent by other doctor because they have observed that it doesn't work and offer some solution but unfortunately, the premier has to make decision when he is not even a doctor himself.  He alone has the power to impose guidelines suggested by Dr. Bonnie and not even Dr. Bonnie has the authority to impose this policy.  Sweden, for example, hadn't been locked down and we do not hear from them and it has been extremely quiet, and perhaps, they might be successful with their policy so far and they do not even suffer any second wave that other countries has experienced.  Who knows what's going on there.

  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Yet if this rally was in support of say BLM most people would be ok with that. There are numerous studies Proving masks don't help all that much.

The only people who have a right to judge are the people who have ceased to go outside therefore guaranteeing they aren't putting anyone at risk.

If you choose to wear a mask everywhere great if that makes you feel safe. So if you believe they work why would you care if someone else thinks differently since your protected from said person due to you wearing a mask?

I just find it odd that pro-mask people say the mask works but then turnaround and say, anti-mask people are putting others at risk but if the mask works why would it matter? Wouldn't the only people at risk be other non-mask wearers? 

Frankly at this point it seems the decision-makers are just throwing crap against the wall hoping something sticks. 

In the grand scheme of things wearing the mask isn't a big deal but imagine if we had a pandemic that killed at a higher rate then something comparable to a bad flu season. Playing fast and loose with rights that are guaranteed and wars were fought over is a slippery slope. 

The whole point of the mask working is that it protects other from you, not the other way around. If your focus is that mask don't work to protect the person wearing than sure, you can find a good number of studies showing that. But there is consensus that masks prevent the spreading of germs and virus from you to other people. That is why doctors orders you to wear a mask while in a clinic for a cold or flu way before Covid is a thing. It is to prevent you from spreading what you got to other people.

 

That is why anti makers are putting everyone at risk. This is not a personal freedom thing that you can live with the consequences without affecting others, it is directly affecting other and their right to life!

 

Just loom at countries with near total adoption of mask wearing like Taiwan, they barely even have an outbreak let along a second and third wave. The sooner everyone starts wearing them in public the sonner we can get pass this and go back to normal. Otherwise this is just going to drag on and on until a vaccine is widely available and have high adoption rate which is an whole other issue with the anti-vaxxers.

  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

i always wear a mask, but i think you should have the right not to wear one, but if a store has the rule of wearing one and you make a scene about it, thats just stupid.

EDIT: about mark, that sucks i actually really liked him when he did our anthems got the crowd going but i get why Aquilini let him go.

Edited by TNucks1
  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Sure, they had to do that in order to please the league and the government officials in order for the playoffs to restart.  If they start to dissent the government policies, then it's in their right to shut things down in name of safety.  They need to play and gain some revenue flow in order for the government to approve.  If the government doesn't like an individual that is dissent to the government policies, the government cannot blackmail the owner to do this but the owner knew this that the government is the only way that they get some play-in possible by pleasing the government and do what they say is not the way to protect an individual that wish to investigate every fabric of the issue. 

 

If it weren't for any dissents, there would be no solution,  We still need to examine everything to make a decision from medical investigation to social issues investigation to economies policies investigation for all of the citizen to enjoy.   If there is any solution to any issues, everybody will be happy but there will always dissent that might be discontent because of his personal issues that the dissent might expect to turn their life around that is not government's fault.  We can then judge why they are dissent on this very issue and consideration is needed before jumping to the conclusion to any issue.  Perhaps, Donnelly had heard two sides of argument on the mask issue and became convince that this mandatory mask policy won't work and decide to participate on this protest and seek different alternative to the mask issue that would migrate the pandemic as whole.  Even with mask policy, the cases went skyrocketed worst than the first wave with no mask policy in place.  Wearing a mask is not 100% foolproof even scientific evidence said that you can still get infected with covid-19 by wearing the mask getting through the holes.  I do wear mask when going indoor in a public building out of respect toward others. 

 

You know, there are some dissent by other doctor because they have observed that it doesn't work and offer some solution but unfortunately, the premier has to make decision when he is not even a doctor himself.  He alone has the power to impose guidelines suggested by Dr. Bonnie and not even Dr. Bonnie has the authority to impose this policy.  Sweden, for example, hadn't been locked down and we do not hear from them and it has been extremely quiet, and perhaps, they might be successful with their policy so far and they do not even suffer any second wave that other countries has experienced.  Who knows what's going on there.

Sweden has been a disaster if you bother to look into it. Also when it comes to science, it is the consensus among the wide majority of doctors and scientists that rule the day. Just because you hear one or two differing opinions does not invalidate the opinion of the vast majority of professionals. You can always find a dissenting voice in any profession with merits if you look hard enough. Also not all published studies actually have good science or methodology behind them especially with the degrading of scholarly journal standards these days with small publishers. If it ain't Science or Nature, never take them at their words.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

The whole point of the mask working is that it protects other from you, not the other way around. If your focus is that mask don't work to protect the person wearing than sure, you can find a good number of studies showing that. But there is consensus that masks prevent the spreading of germs and virus from you to other people. That is why doctors orders you to wear a mask while in a clinic for a cold or flu way before Covid is a thing. It is to prevent you from spreading what you got to other people.

 

That is why anti makers are putting everyone at risk. This is not a personal freedom thing that you can live with the consequences without affecting others, it is directly affecting other and their right to life!

 

Just loom at countries with near total adoption of mask wearing like Taiwan, they barely even have an outbreak let along a second and third wave. The sooner everyone starts wearing them in public the sonner we can get pass this and go back to normal. Otherwise this is just going to drag on and on until a vaccine is widely available and have high adoption rate which is an whole other issue with the anti-vaxxers.

I did some math 2 weeks ago using stats from the COVID website:

 

Since July masks have been mandatory in Quebec. With a population of 8.485 million they’ve had 6675 deaths or 1/1271 died. For comparison the US with Trump in charge has a population of 328.2 million with 248,687 deaths or 1/1319 died. That’s after spring break, riots and Trump rallies, yeah, masks work.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how I feel about this.. Donnelly was a contractor, not employee, so all the "portraying company values in the public eye" stuff doesn't hold weight. It would have been better for the Canucks if they just ignored it and kept him for playoff games. What if JT Miller is exposed as an anti masker? Same result? Don't think so. Aquilini should stay out of the political stuff, this just screams opportunism by aquilini to flaunt some moral high ground. Donnelly was one of the better anthem singers in the league, ill miss him., All that said, It would be great if Marie Hue (sp?) carried on his tradition of letting the crowd sing.. make it a Vancouver thing and not a Donnelly thing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Sweden has been a disaster if you bother to look into it. Also when it comes to science, it is the consensus among the wide majority of doctors and scientists that rule the day. Just because you hear one or two differing opinions does not invalidate the opinion of the vast majority of professionals. You can always find a dissenting voice in any profession with merits if you look hard enough. Also not all published studies actually have good science or methodology behind them especially with the degrading of scholarly journal standards these days with small publishers. If it ain't Science or Nature, never take them at their words.

For me, I hear both sides of arguments, pros and cons of wearing mask.  The biggest issue here is that free speech needs to be preserved regardless.  We need dissents without fear of losing their employments.  If you live in other countries where freedom is not there, any dissent could cost your life even if that dissent issue could save that nations' economy or save their population or even save their life.  I am on both sides for good reasons, we cannot allow the government to dictate our lives by doing what they tells us to do and live in fear all the time.  This is the reason we have two sides of coins and each image are different.   Keeping in mind, we are not perfect and we only get know what Covid-19 is like for almost a year now and we still have much to learn about this smallest object that is invisible to human's eyes and this has caused panic all over the world with this vicious virus.  There's good news is that we are still working toward solution that makes a big difference but I do not want free speech to be taken away because the government thinks that their solution is the best solution by their experts.  I do not want the population to suffer different kind of death caused by this pandemic due to mental heath issue related to shutdown by committing suicide.  This is far better solution to this issues.  Preventative is what we seek after.  Lockdown is not the answer.  We tried that and it almost ruined our economy.  What we have learnt that this virus will inevitable infect 80% of the population even with vaccine in place.  Once again, we still do not know if vaccine will ever work despite trials and experiments   Better to let the virus run its course than prolong years of lockdown where it won't ever stop and ruined our economy that way.  Once the government money runs out, what will we do if we stopping getting income from them?   We're in a big trouble,. to be honest if lockdown lasted a long time.  That's two side of argument we have to consider which is important to us.  

Edited by coolboarder
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really a fan of the move. I'm not an anti-masker, nor do I agree with the sentiment, but I don't feel like his feelings on such a thing should merit a firing. That's akin to firing someone for being a Republican or Democrat. That said, I understand that Aquaman has the right to do it, and that's just business sometimes.

 

I'll definitely miss Donnelly.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You have the right not to wear one. But I don't blame a store or place that you go into to refuse service until you come back and wear one. 

There are signs everywhere. Even in the apartment building I live in, once I'm outside my apartment I have to wear a mask until I get into my car. 

Be it laundry, or grabbing my mail. 

As a store delightfully pointed out.

It's a mask, it's not like they are forcing you to wear a Calgary Flames jersey. 

 

You can decide not to wear a seatbelt. But don't blame the police if you get a ticket. Or blame the manufacturer if you don't wear it, and fly through the windshield and get maimed for life. 

 

Pretty sure Donnelly is going to get a lawyer, and sue for wrongful dismissal. Honestly, he was no Richard Loney. And Loney was a pro always. 

 

 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -SN- locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...