The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

40 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Sweden, for example, hadn't been locked down and we do not hear from them and it has been extremely quiet, and perhaps, they might be successful with their policy so far and they do not even suffer any second wave that other countries has experienced. 

Sweden has 26.8% of Canada's population and 56.5%  of the number of deaths due to covid.

Not a good example.

As has been mentioned many times on the covid thread btw.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

For me, I hear both sides of arguments, pros and cons of wearing mask.  The biggest issue here is that free speech needs to be preserved regardless.  We need dissents without fear of losing their employments.  If you live in other countries where freedom is not there, any dissent could cost your life even if that dissent issue could save that nations' economy or save their population or even save their life.  I am on both sides for good reasons, we cannot allow the government to dictate our lives by doing what they tells us to do and live in fear all the time.  This is the reason we have two sides of coins and each image are different.   Keeping in mind, we are not perfect and we only get know what Covid-19 is like for almost a year now and we still have much to learn about this smallest object that is invisible to human's eyes and this has caused panic all over the world with this vicious virus.  There's good news is that we are still working toward solution that makes a big different but I do not want free speech to be taken away because the government thinks that their solution is the best solution by their experts.  I do not want the population to suffer different kind of death caused by this pandemic due to mental heath issue related to shutdown by committing suicide.  This is far better solution to this issues.  Preventative is what we seek after.  Lockdown is not the answer.  We tried that and it almost ruined our economy.  What we have learnt that this virus will inevitable infect 80% of the population even with vaccine in place.  Once again, we still do not know if vaccine will ever work despite trials and experiments   Better to let the virus run its course than prolong years of lockdown where it won't ever stop and ruined our economy that way.  Once the government money runs out, what will we do if we stopping getting income from them?   We're in a big trouble,. to be honest if lockdown lasted a long time.  That's two side of argument we have to consider which is important to us.  

It is all nice sentiments until you or your love one catches it and either die or become chronically ill. You can worry about the future all you want but we live in the now and what good is a robust economy to you if you catch this and die. That said, we shouldn't just shut everything down and should find a compromise. The easiest one we have is a mask mandate that if everyone obeys, will allow us to still have a functional economy minus the bar owners, they are f**ked. Taiwan never went into a lockdown and nearly everyone wore a mask there and see how well they are doing with regards to the economy and covid numbers. Also you are confusing freedom of speech from directives and rights of private businesses. You can still speak freely about not wanting to where a mask and the government will not do anything to you, but if you do not wear a mask when mandated, the government has every right to fine you for it just like not stopping at a red light. The government is also working off of scientific consensus here, I personally would defer to the majority in this case than a few voices. Also private business can require whatever they want in their term of service or terminate someone's employment for any reason not based on race, sex, or political leanings.

Yes chances are it is going to get a lot of people with or without a vaccine especially with the anti-vaxxers but you want to delay 80% of people getting it as long as possible to either have this thing devolve to something harmless or have effective treatment against it.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You have the right not to wear one. But I don't blame a store or place that you go into to refuse service until you come back and wear one. 

There are signs everywhere. Even in the apartment building I live in, once I'm outside my apartment I have to wear a mask until I get into my car. 

Be it laundry, or grabbing my mail. 

As a store delightfully pointed out.

It's a mask, it's not like they are forcing you to wear a Calgary Flames jersey. 

You can decide not to wear a seatbelt. But don't blame the police if you get a ticket. Or blame the manufacturer if you don't wear it, and fly through the windshield and get maimed for life. 

Pretty sure Donnelly is going to get a lawyer, and sue for wrongful dismissal. Honestly, he was no Richard Loney. And Loney was a pro always. 

Pretty damn sure Donnelly is not a employee of the Canucks. He might get a contract severance pay if he even have a contract to begin with.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

If Donnelly made a statement saying he was going on his own accord. And his opinions do not reflect the Vancouver Canucks or anyone associated with the team.

That might have been enough to save his job. 

He should know the Canucks have a long association with Children's Hospital, and Canuck Place. I've seen players wearing masks and taking precautions with kids prior to Covid. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

It is all nice sentiments until you or your love one catches it and either die or become chronically ill. You can worry about the future all you want but we love in the now and what good is a robust economy to you if you catch this and die. That said, we shouldn't just shut everything down and should find a compromise. The easiest one we have is a mask mandate that of everyone obeys, will allow us to still have a functional economy minus the bar owners, they are f**ked. Taiwan never went into a lockdown and nearly everyone wore a mask there and see how well they are doing with regards to the economy and covid numbers. Also you are confusing freedom of speech from directives and rights of private businesses. You can still speak freely about not wanting to where a mask and the government will not do anything to you, but if you do not wear a mask when mandated, the government has every right to fine you for it like not stopping at a red light. The government is also working off of scientific consensus here, I personally would defer to the majority in this case than a few voices. Also private business can require whatever they want as their term of service or terminate someone's employment for any reason not based on race, sex, or political leanings.

Yes chances it is going to get a lot of people with or without a vaccine especially with the anti-vaxxers but you want to delay 80% of people getting it as long as possible to either have this thing devolve to something harmless or have effective treatment for it.

Although I believe masks do more harm than good, great, well thought out post. 

• Wat 2

18 minutes ago, Davathor said:

How dare he do something of his own opinion or belief on his own time while the NHL season is on hiatus. 

How dare he. 

How many lawyers tweeted him to represent the incoming wrongful dismissal? Throw in public humiliation for doing it over Twitter instead of behind closed doors like it should be. AQ should know better

Lol, Donnelly don't even have a wrongful termination case. As an anthem singer if he is even a full time employee of the Canucks, all it would cost Aqua is a few thousand buck of severance. Don't even think you can even claim wrongful termination in regards to a side gig or part time job.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Hey Mark Donnelly, enjoy singing O Canada at that anti-mask rally. Don't forget to pick up your pink slip from Roger's Arena on your way there. Idiot.

Seriously, very happy the Aquilini's were right on top of this. Donelly's actions send a dangerous message to young Canuck's fans. So kudos. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

It is all nice sentiments until you or your love one catches it and either die or become chronically ill. You can worry about the future all you want but we love in the now and what good is a robust economy to you if you catch this and die. That said, we shouldn't just shut everything down and should find a compromise. The easiest one we have is a mask mandate that of everyone obeys, will allow us to still have a functional economy minus the bar owners, they are f**ked. Taiwan never went into a lockdown and nearly everyone wore a mask there and see how well they are doing with regards to the economy and covid numbers. Also you are confusing freedom of speech from directives and rights of private businesses. You can still speak freely about not wanting to where a mask and the government will not do anything to you, but if you do not wear a mask when mandated, the government has every right to fine you for it like not stopping at a red light. The government is also working off of scientific consensus here, I personally would defer to the majority in this case than a few voices. Also private business can require whatever they want as their term of service or terminate someone's employment for any reason not based on race, sex, or political leanings.

Yes chances it is going to get a lot of people with or without a vaccine especially with the anti-vaxxers but you want to delay 80% of people getting it as long as possible to either have this thing devolve to something harmless or have effective treatment for it.

I do not think that the loved ones will care for as long as they get to see their loved ones in person.  I'm sure that the majority of population knows that they will inevitable get one unless the denier will deny that covid-19 exist and that will be their fault.  I do think that this pandemic is real but how do you measure the acceptable action?  You cannot be expected to keep loved ones out.  If they called and invited you to visit them, well, go and see them.   They do understand the risk.  The elder will still get one one way or other and still die if they have precondition health issue.  I do not see this as a permanent as historically pandemic over the millennia , once it reaches 80% of the population and this will be seen as a common cold years from now just like Spanish flu becoming minor once this virus had reached 80% of the population and  this flu is not effective anymore as majority of the population at that time had immune to that even if it still exist today.  Covid-19 will always be around but will not be effective as the whole population will be immune to it as time goes on.  People who had it this year and recovered will not become sick from this for rest of their life and will not spread toward others as well.  

3 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I do not think that the loved ones will care for as long as they get to see their loved ones in person.  I'm sure that the majority of population knows that they will inevitable get one unless the denier will deny that covid-19 exist and that will be their fault.  I do think that this pandemic is real but how do you measure the acceptable action?  You cannot be expected to keep loved ones out.  If they called and invited you to visit them, well, go and see them.   They do understand the risk.  The elder will still get one one way or other and still die if they have precondition health issue.  I do not see this as a permanent as historically pandemic over the millennia , once it reaches 80% of the population and this will be seen as a common cold years from now just like Spanish flu becoming minor once this virus had reached 80% of the population and  this flu is not effective anymore as majority of the population at that time had immune to that even if it still exist today.  Covid-19 will always be around but will not be effective as the whole population will be immune to it as time goes on.  People who had it this year and recovered will not become sick from this for rest of their life and will not spread toward others as well.  

What are you even rumbling about. Of course go see your loved ones or granny if you want and accepts the risk. I'm referring to public spaces. Do whatever you want in your own home, no one should care.

As I said, it will be like the common flu at some point but we don't want to be even close to 80% a year in without some sort of vaccine defense and effective treatment. Also there have been cases of re-infection. We just don't kniw enough yet to let our guards down. We can all be neely neely about this a year or two from now.

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, drummer4now said:

While I agree with most of what you have said I don't agree with the sudden change of policy on Dr. Bonnie Henrys part and on the fly rule making. 

The masks can still spread the virus if someone takes it off and forgets to sanitize them. 

Either way please end this pandemic :frantic:

They can do,

however there is evidence that wearing a mask helps,

however it helps everyone around ‘you’ and doesn’t protect the wearer unless you are wearing N95 of similar equivalent masks. 

not wearing a mask is simply selfish to those around you, I don’t think it’s a big leap to say that those that refuse to wear masks also don’t follow other guidelines and therefore are taking a higher risk of catching the virus, then by not wearing that mask they are increasing the risk for everyone around them, except for those people they haven’t made that choice but it’s being enforced by the actions of others. 

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Is he fired for that?  His job is to sing the anthem.  I don't give an F what he thinks about masks or anything else.  And did he say he wants people to not wear them or he just wants people to have a choice?

Fauci told everyone to not wear a mask at the start.  I figure he ought to be held to a higher standard if indeed opinions about masks are relevant to employment and there is no discussion to be had about it.

At the start less was known and there was concern if 340m Americans started panic buying medical masks it would put medicals services at high risk.

"When it became clear that the infection could be spread by asymptomatic carriers who don't know they're infected, that made it very clear that we had to strongly recommend masks," Fauci said. "And also, it soon became clear that we had enough protective equipment and that cloth masks and homemade masks were as good as masks that you would buy from surgical supply stores," Fauci added. "So in the context of when we were not strongly recommending it, it was the correct thing."

Fauci says he doesn't regret telling Americans not to wear masks at the beginning of the pandemic (msn.com)

Do you have a choice in wearing a seatbelt in a car? How about a hard hat in a construction site or steel toe boots in industrial settings? Permanently mandated by the government because there will always be those who choose not to protect themselves. In a pandemic masks aren't just personal protection they also help protect others. And it's temporary. Oh, the hardship.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

At the start less was known and there was concern if 340m Americans started panic buying medical masks it would put medicals services at high risk.

"When it became clear that the infection could be spread by asymptomatic carriers who don't know they're infected, that made it very clear that we had to strongly recommend masks," Fauci said. "And also, it soon became clear that we had enough protective equipment and that cloth masks and homemade masks were as good as masks that you would buy from surgical supply stores," Fauci added. "So in the context of when we were not strongly recommending it, it was the correct thing."

Fauci was not new to either masks or viruses of this nature.  He didn't come into the job not knowing how either worked at the start and then only got up to speed with a crash course in the last few months.  The guy wasn't a layman brought out of the Ozarks and told to start book learning about masks and viruses right quick.

So he didn't know if cloth and homemade masks were as effective as surgical supply store masks but thank goodness now he does?

• Wat 3

3 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Yet if this rally was in support of say BLM most people would be ok with that.

Yes, they would. One is promoting rascial equality and the other is a bunch of babies whining about having to cover their month during a global pandemic.

I'm not even going to touch anything else you said in that post, because it was all beyond rediculous.

• Vintage 3

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Hey Mark Donnelly, enjoy singing O Canada at that anti-mask rally. Don't forget to pick up your pink slip from Roger's Arena on your way there. Idiot.

Seriously, very happy the Aquilini's were right on top of this. Donelly's actions send a dangerous message to young Canuck's fans. So kudos. 

So wait, someone has an opinion you don’t agree with and they’re an idiot and should be fired? Well, I don’t agree with you.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Fauci says he doesn't regret telling Americans not to wear masks at the beginning of the pandemic (msn.com)

Do you have a choice in wearing a seatbelt in a car? How about a hard hat in a construction site or steel toe boots in industrial settings? Permanently mandated by the government because there will always be those who choose not to protect themselves. In a pandemic masks aren't just personal protection they also help protect others. And it's temporary. Oh, the hardship.

Sorry but seatbelts and hard hats don’t do more harm than good, I  believe masks do, I know many people that have nasty face rashes and one person that developed a lung infection, rebreathing crap you expelled then have bacteria grow on it can’t be healthy, we do not know the long term results of constant mask wearing and I’m not prepared to be a guinea pig, if you are go ahead and good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 6