The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If this is truly his thoughts as Deb posted. I liked him better when he was just a singer. He needs to have the wheels re-aligned on his skateboard. 

Reminds me of Yes, Prime Minister.

"So, my facts are just statistics, but your statistics are facts." 

its really unfortunate what the conservative "my facts vs your facts" "narrative" thing has done to people. I don't know that we'll ever be able to bridge that gap with people sunk deep on that. I'm starting to feel sorry for them now. 

MD didn't do anything wrong, he's a local public figure and he chose to use his platform to say his piece. But that kind of thing does force an employer to respond. Even silence by a company can be looked at as being complicit. 

• Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If this is truly his thoughts as Deb posted. I liked him better when he was just a singer. He needs to have the wheels re-aligned on his skateboard. 

Reminds me of Yes, Prime Minister.

"So, my facts are just statistics, but your statistics are facts." 

It's from an interview with him (posted the link afterward as edit can be messy at times).

I typed as I listened to it so feel free to correct anything I may have missed.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its really unfortunate what the conservative "my facts vs your facts" "narrative" thing has done to people. I don't know that we'll ever be able to bridge that gap with people sunk deep on that. I'm starting to feel sorry for them now. 

MD didn't do anything wrong, he's a local public figure and he chose to use his platform to say his piece. But that kind of thing does force an employer to respond. Even silence by a company can be looked at as being complicit. 

As a society, we're moving more toward social responsibility and that's seeping into workplaces (as it should).   The NHL has tried to incorporate socially responsible commentary and messages, even if a work in progress.  Teams and the league now understand they have a platform that can be used to spread messages.   Some disagree with them using their voices outside "sport" but others feel it's a responsibility.  When you have "fans" the messages you send (or don't) can greatly influence things.

Those arguing "difference of opinions" are missing the fact that an opinion does not override public health and safety.  If it puts those things at risk, it becomes dangerous.  It's WHY we have DWI's, seatbelts, helmet laws, "no shoes no shirt no service".....there are measures in place to protect everyone.  Even if some don't like them.

It's not forever but what IS forever is the impression some will make in this - both good and bad.  Not that "image" matters but I, personally, know that people who are willing to do a few things to keep other safe have my absolute respect and those who don't don't.   Our statements reflect a lot more than our opinions.  They also give clues as to empathy, thinking outside "self" and being inconvenienced, etc.  This pandemic is really revealing at times.

I love this team for taking a stand here.  MD argues by presenting HIS supporting evidence like it's THE evidence.  If he was simply questioning it "all" he wouldn't be making statements like they are facts:  "ineffective" (untrue from what the data I've seen shows).   And he suggests there is censorship:   how are people learning about the anti mask rallies?  How are they invited?  I've seen coverage of them (wish I didn't have to).  So this is false....no one is censoring "facts"....just that some of the disinformation is being weeded out.  Rightfully so.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

As a society, we're moving more toward social responsibility and that's seeping into workplaces (as it should).   The NHL has tried to incorporate socially responsible commentary and messages, even if a work in progress.  Teams and the league now understand they have a platform that can be used to spread messages.   Some disagree with them using their voices outside "sport" but others feel it's a responsibility.  When you have "fans" the messages you send (or don't) can greatly influence things.

Those arguing "difference of opinions" are missing the fact that an opinion does not override public health and safety.  If it puts those things at risk, it becomes dangerous.  It's WHY we have DWI's, seatbelts, helmet laws, "no shoes no shirt no service".....there are measures in place to protect everyone.  Even if some don't like them.

It's not forever but what IS is the impression some will make in this - both good and bad.  Not that "image" matters but I, personally, know that people who are willing to do a few things to keep other safe have my absolute respect and those who don't don't.  

I love this team for taking a stand here.  MD argues by presenting HIS supporting evidence like it's THE evidence.  If he was simply questioning it "all" he wouldn't be making statements like they are facts:  "ineffective" (untrue from what the data I've seen shows).   And he suggests there is censorship:   how are people learning about the anti mask rallies?  How are they invited?  I've seen coverage of them (wish I didn't have to).  So this is false....no one is censoring "facts"....just that some of the disinformation is being weeded out.  Rightfully so.

totally agree Deb, but the highlighted part ^ is the problem. We do have a significant number of people now that do think their opinion trumps public health. They try to justify it by minimizing it to a "your narrative vs my narrative' argument. Thats the real crime of the Trump era, making some people turn everything into a belief system vs following simple basic science and the best medical advice. 

• Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Neither do masks. If you ever need a surgery be sure to tell the doctors you don't want them wearing their nasty masks in the operating room. The guinea pigs have spoken - medical staff and researchers have been wearing masks for decades. Which should be an obvious indication they do far more good than harm.

Especially since at least the early 1930's (probably far before that) Surgeons/Nurses/Technical staff wore gowns, gloves, and masks. And scrubbed up prior to operations. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I will never be convinced that sticking something in front of your mouth and nose that captures what your body is trying to shed then festers bacteria that grows in that warm, moist environment  that you suck back into your lungs can be healthy. Sadly my wife has to wear a mask for work but the mask she bought I can spray water through with a spray bottle and so far she’s been OK. There have been several people at her work that have had rashes around their mouth and one person that developed a lung infection, they were off work for 2 weeks then quit. On top of everything since it’s harder to hear people they get closer to each other, my wife struggles for personal space.

Luckily I don’t have to wear a mask 8+ hours a day, I will wear it where required by law but have changed my habits significantly. For instance, we live right beside sky train and I used it quite a bit but now I drive everywhere to avoid wearing the mask.

Remember when COVID made the news and we had the great TP shortage, people panic and I believe mask wearing is meant to made people feel like they have some sort of control otherwise it would be insanity out there.

What really scares me is how our rights are being sacrificed and Marks dismissal is just another example.

What really makes no sense is:

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/flights/arriving-flights

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/public-exposures-flights-tables-Current.pdf

Yeah, a guy gets fired for singing an anthem but we keep importing COVID cases.

Finally, one thing that actually does peeve me, most us live in shoe boxes but the politicians making the rules live in huge houses, I’m not supposed to have my 3 kids visit for Christmas but they can still go get their hair done and houses cleaned by maids, somehow maids are essential but family isn’t.

My motto, don’t be a douche to the minimum wage employees forced to enforce the rules, suck it up, get in and out but also don’t be a sheep and believe people that lie for a living.

Read my lips, no new taxes.

Ponder this, why do doctors wear masks?

To prevent infections in the patients.

What causes infections?

Bacteria.

Masks are meant to stop the spread of bacteria which are significantly larger than viruses, that’s probably why the warnings on boxes of mask say “will not stop the spread of viruses including COVID”.

Dumb Nuck

Consider your rights as privilege's that society gives you

Society is not you, singular, but us in whole

AS "whole", we give the Government authority to rule over us

and police the decisions we make, as a "whole"

This includes, giving the Health Authority, the responsibility to collect information

and make decisions for "US" as a "whole", based on that information

Certain individuals may disagree with those decisions

But the Government, or "US" as a whole, agree with them, and support them.

It is a bottom line issue. Not to be ignored.

"IF" you as an individual disagree with your Governments decisions

"You" have the right to form your own political party and run for office.

I the public in "whole" agree with your platform, then you will get elected

and will be able to form Government and make policy, that protects our society ("whole")

But, if you do not win, then you must follow, what or rather who, society has elected.

Just because "you" say, that it is alright to not wear a mask, does not give you that right

"you" do not speak for society or who they have elected.

"Society" has made a decision, and it is final

"IF" you decide to break "Societies" rules, then you must suffer the consequences

Pretty simple, really........... 

Imagine all nurses and doctors deciding not to wear masks

and Covid, as it is now, was rampant

Now, you have to go to the hospital with your aging parent

and the doctor or nurse are bent over your parent, as they cough and sniffle

With you knowing fully well they have Covid

How would you feel?

Now remember, before you answer this

What is your CDC name?

I will give you a hint! It is "Dumb Nuck"

But please, go and answer my question

• Cheers 1

So.... the Chinese lock a whole city down to isolated from the rest to China........this is Science (isolate the virus)

Then they wear masks (again science- control the virus), then vaccinate huge populations (again science -destroy the virus)

Germany...........isolate/mask/vaccine

France.........same

Canada ........same

etc, etc, etc......................................

Sweden........no, we know better...........no masks, no isolation...............death

Suddenly, Sweden switches to, masks, isolation, and vaccine

Taiwan ............self isolate, masks, vaccine

Russia..............self isolate. vaccine

So, all the Scientist and Health professionals, in all these countries, are wrong

And the Donald and Mark are right! :picard::picard::picard::picard::picard::picard:

I mean, how utterly FKN stupid!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1