The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you Pro-mask or Anti-mask?

J.I.A.H.N

Are you Pro-mask or Anti-mask?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Love that you used that statistic. Coincidentally enough that is the approximate fatality rate of this virus as well. 

Oh the irony. Love it. :wub:

The mortality rate it about 2%. If we use the same way that you used the 35,000 doctors that means over 200 million people will die if everyone gets infected. And, if you think that's far fetched, without masks, it's estimated that 70% of the world will get infected. You want to do the math on the number of deaths then?

This conversation shouldn't even have to take place. Wear a mask. It DOES prevent spit droplets from going through. It DOES prevent spread. It DOESN'T 100% prevent spread as nothing's perfect but it DOES prevent the spread. It's just a piece of cloth. It doesn't interfere with your liberties. It's not going to kill you to wear it.

I honestly don't get why anyone would be against this aside from a lack of brain cells and I'm being perfectly honest about that.I really think that anyone who doesn't agree with this is among the dumbest people on the planet right now (or at the very least insecure about themselves and their responsibilities).

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

im one wth outburst away from my cdc retirement papers

have to behave 

To be fair, I'll post a few posts and wonder when I've gone too far, although the ones where I really wonder if I've gone too far are often the ones that I end up getting the most likes on. So maybe it was more saying what everyone else wanted to say. lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be fair, I'll post a few posts and wonder when I've gone too far, although the ones where I really wonder if I've gone too far are often the ones that I end up getting the most likes on. So maybe it was more saying what everyone else wanted to say. lol

i revise and edit any number of posts because i never know which one will be the one that goes to far.

I got a 7 day ban from Facebook for calling someone cupcake once sooooo.........

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Thanks for that. One thing that grinds my gears, and is addressed in this rebuttal, is that people forget "that death is not the only severe outcome. Hospitalization and ICU admissions are also severe outcomes that are more common than death in all age groups". We don't know the long term implications yet and there are people with lingering deficits even after "beating" the virus.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

There is no needed rebuttal to someone who is spouting numbers without even knowing the math involved and therefore getting it wrong before he's put pen to paper.  As well citing the now disproved Barrington in which literally THOUSANDS of names were found to not only be falsified but thousands more to be found as not credible "medical practitioners" further erodes any credibility you might have.

You're not woke

So you mean to say that the Barrington Declaration has fraudulent support? Kind of ironic when you consider that the anti-maskers cling to the Barrington Declaration and that they also tend to be Trump supports.. you know that are accusing the Dems of doing the same thing?

I wonder what our math wiz friend Rypper has to say about all of this.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

Thanks for that. One thing that grinds my gears, and is addressed in this rebuttal, is that people forget "that death is not the only severe outcome. Hospitalization and ICU admissions are also severe outcomes that are more common than death in all age groups". We don't know the long term implications yet and there are people with lingering deficits even after "beating" the virus.

So you mean to say that the Barrington Declaration has fraudulent support? Kind of ironic when you consider that the anti-maskers cling to the Barrington Declaration and that they also tend to be Trump supports.. you know that are accusing the Dems of doing the same thing?

I wonder what our math wiz friend Rypper has to say about all of this.

I was actually interested in reading it.  I actually enjoy dissenting views to the main as they usually infer an actual discussion is about to take place.

but by and large, the people who are actually credible named in the Barrington are not entirely credible but also on the fringes of medical expertise regarding infectious diseases or surgery, paliative care etc.  The most credible experts among the report actually list the fact that they don't know as reasons they are against heavy handed government intrusion.  Those remaining cite the issues with long term mental health, economic issues and the like.  

Why are they important?  Because while they are Dr's based o their expertise...they are not medical doctors at all.  Many psychiatrists and psychologists are listed in the report.

The fact is, people with an actual agenda will leap on the most ludicrous things like a life raft in the ocean to avoid admitting they are wrong, don't know or to avoid going back on their personal leanings either political or otherwise.  The only people who appear to openly have an agenda are those who continue to push back against utterly overwhelming medical expertise.

They are essentially the 2011 Oilers vs the 95/96 Wings

More on the Barrington Declaration:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/89204

After the authors of a declaration promoting herd immunity spoke to White House officials last week, the scientific community immediately called into question the declaration as well as the scientists who wrote it.

The Great Barrington Declaration, a statement written by three public health experts from Harvard, Stanford, and Oxford, encourages governments to lift lockdown restrictions on young and healthy people while focusing protection measures on the elderly. This would allow COVID-19 to spread in a population where it is less likely to be deadly, the authors state, encouraging widespread immunity that is not dependent on a vaccine.

Restrictions have caused other harms, including lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings, and deteriorating mental health, they argue.

After gaining some publicity, this strategy was strongly denounced by many in the scientific community. While it supposedly received 8,000 signatures from public health experts and doctors, news outlets later revealed that some of those signatures were fake.

The declaration was sponsored by the American Institute for Economic Research, a libertarian, free-market think tank headquartered in western Massachusetts. The Institute is in a network of organizations funded by Charles Koch -- a right-wing billionaire known for promoting climate change denial and opposing regulations on business.

While the scientists who wrote the declaration claim they represent both right- and left-wing politics, all have attempted to influence governments to end lockdowns since the start of the pandemic.

Here's a look at the three scientists behind the Great Barrington Declaration. MedPage Today reached out to them for comment but none responded.

The article goes on to analyze specific signatories...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

People who flex about how healthy they are really do make a point....that they don't think beyond self and it's all about them.  But most responsible citizens think beyond that, to how they can help ensure others also don't die.

I know a couple of people who have used this pandemic as a motivation to quit smoking and lose weight. We should be taking extra good care of ourselves right now.

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

More on the Barrington Declaration:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/89204

The article goes on to analyze specific signatories...

Shocker.

Politicians using fake sources and documents to further an agenda. Where have I seen that before?

Regardless of the legitimacy, the fact that 99% of other health officials and scientists rejected it should be enough. You’re always going to be able to find doctors with their own views and philosophies. Doesn’t mean they’re right.

Also in that scenario how are health care workers supposed to travel in and out of care homes in a society where the virus is let to run rampant? Do they not see any problems there? Not to mention it’s not just people in care homes. Should people with weaker immune systems be forced to stay indoors for 2 years while the virus runs its course?

Its pretty easy to see why that flimsy document was rejected. Just a group of people that think in theories rather than practicalities.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 4

6 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

If masks worked so well, we wouldn't be having record cases day after day. People touch their faces about 50 times more while wearing a mask. I'm pro thinking critically.

If you are pro thinking critically you should probably try it. 

• Haha 1