The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you Pro-mask or Anti-mask?

J.I.A.H.N

Are you Pro-mask or Anti-mask?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

i revise and edit any number of posts because i never know which one will be the one that goes to far.

I got a 7 day ban from Facebook for calling someone cupcake once sooooo.........

I got a warning on my first and only post of the HFBoard. My post was tame compared to what I've posted here. lol

• Cheers 1

Being healthy is an awesome focus....the second I got let go from my job I immediately thought of the bright side, which was more time to focus on exactly that.   I started taking vitamin D (thanks to that guy who was spamming about it), zinc, etc.  Started making smoothies every morning.  Yoga, meditation, walking, aerobics, weights.  Did a crash course on meditation/breathing/relaxation techniques.  I get it.

But focusing on our own good health isn't a reason to ignore others who maybe aren't so healthy.  Sometimes it's not even through any fault of their own...medical conditions can strike anyone.  So the point was to have empathy...rather than simply "brag" about never getting sick.  Also really to highlight that very thing...that being healthy doesn't mean you can't have covid and be asymptomatic...which is even more reason to wear a mask.  It does NOT make you immune from contracting it...it just helps your chances of fighting it and possibly a better prognosis.  But you can be a "healthy spreader" of the virus.  That was my point.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

What are we even talking about here folks ??

Here is a snippet from basically one of the smartest people in the world about infectious disease who went to Harvard and teaches at Johns Hopkins.

I'll trust her before I trust an anthem singer or a bunch of Karens and Darens walking the streets of Vancouver.

image.png.957dbd601becec00e4da29532a741a8a.png

Odd how Dr B does not follow this Top Covid advisors recomendation about wearing masks in schools ( mandatory ). 

5 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Not trying to pick on you in particular aGent, but I do wonder about people who make comments like that seem to belittle pretty much all conspiracy "theories". Have you heard the story of when General Smedley Butler testified that a cabal of high powered and well connected capitalists wanted to overthrow Roosevelt and install a facist government. The media mocked his claims, but today we know the conspiracy was real. Some conspiracies, no matter how outlandish they may seem, are in fact real, and Society would do well to remember that. 

The old business plot when Chase, Heinz, maxwell, GM, standard oil, Goodyear and even GWB grandpa Preston Bush were going to establish fascism. It’s a great story but in reality it was just a story that took off.

Congress said that some parts of Butler’s story were truthful.

If you really dive deep into it, couple of million bucks was not going to overthrow the government and stories of them raising an army of half a million through AL were just fantasies.

Basically as credible as Rudy, Sidney and Ellis “elite strike team” that you see on TV.

Bunch of rich people complaining about paying more in taxes and badmouthing FDR.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Heh, I'm a way less sweaty guy now.  There was one day when at my kids baseball I had to run back to the car quick and grab my glove.  It wasn't super far, maybe 600m both ways, and previous me would've done it fine but I would've been puffing a little and breaking a sweat.  Now, I wasn't phased at all.

Also with the mask wearing and the hand washing I haven't had a cold yet this year (being a teacher I normally have had a pretty decent one by now).

That's so good to hear! Thanks for sharing. Its inspiring to hear about people investing in themselves 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Never smoked, but I've lost 41 lbs since March.  Used the partial shutdown in March to really change some bad eating habits and started jogging (successfully completed the couch to 5K and now run 1 to 3 days a week)

Good on you. Hope you keep it up.

Is it possible to have a third category?  I don’t have a problem with masks.  They are a small thing we can all do to help prevent the spread of a virus. If they don’t work, what did I lose?  I am pro mask and anti lockdown. The more vulnerable should remain inside, have loved ones (who may restrict their movements voluntarily) while the rest of us carry on with normal (ish) life. I’m really tired of constantly changing rules that VERY few are actually following to the letter. Our experts are making decisions that strongly resemble the actions of first time parents almost a year into this. They close yoga but not dance, shut down some sports but not others. Gyms are ok, but don’t go to spin class. Masks mandatory everywhere except in a classroom...the list goes on forever and I’m expected to watch the news every day so my neighbors don’t call the snitch line and get me fined. Masks are one thing but the rest of this is a bit ridiculous. I don’t understand how hundreds of people in Costco is safe, I can go to a bar for a few drinks but dinner with Dad is just too much to ask. Pro mask, anti lockdown 

Just some perspective for those that don't want to wear a mask.

In the middle ages, The Europeans of that time thought that taking a bath/washing would make you more susceptible to catching air borne plagues - the theory was, a hot bath opened your pores and then the plagues would enter your body that way!

How we got out of that time period is just amazing to me. 

44 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Is it possible to have a third category?  I don’t have a problem with masks.  They are a small thing we can all do to help prevent the spread of a virus. If they don’t work, what did I lose?  I am pro mask and anti lockdown. The more vulnerable should remain inside, have loved ones (who may restrict their movements voluntarily) while the rest of us carry on with normal (ish) life. I’m really tired of constantly changing rules that VERY few are actually following to the letter. Our experts are making decisions that strongly resemble the actions of first time parents almost a year into this. They close yoga but not dance, shut down some sports but not others. Gyms are ok, but don’t go to spin class. Masks mandatory everywhere except in a classroom...the list goes on forever and I’m expected to watch the news every day so my neighbors don’t call the snitch line and get me fined. Masks are one thing but the rest of this is a bit ridiculous. I don’t understand how hundreds of people in Costco is safe, I can go to a bar for a few drinks but dinner with Dad is just too much to ask. Pro mask, anti lockdown 

I imagine that their decision making process around spin/exercise classes is that those are typically done in a smaller space and are more aerobic in nature (ie. more heavy breathing = more aerosols). Gyms are typically in much bigger spaces and strength work is less aerobically taxing. For those doing cardio you can space machines. That would be my reasoning anyway. The maskless classrooms is a head scratcher though.

I am also anti lockdown at this point.. I think sector specific restrictions are the way to go for now. Definitely pro mask though. It's easy and frankly there are very few medical excuses not to wear one. The anti mask thing is such a stupid hill to die on.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

You never want to wish bad to anyone, but it is laughable that people here say "i eat organic, I eat healthy, i am fit and active" Good for you near sighted fools...its people like you who I wish would get the virus and hopefully get a bad bout of it to just show you how REAL this is. Maybe these I am too healthy to get Covid or anti mask people should get sent to some hospitals where people are hanging on to life, open the door...you can walk and breath in that amazing Covid air and see how you fair. People are just idiots, this site is literally the only form of social media I take part in and even then it is hard sometimes to read the $&!# people spew, thankfully there is an ignore button.

The virus doesn't just kill or severlely impact 85 year olds with numerous underlying issues let alone old age, or obese people who eat unhealthy....Would it help if everyone in the world ate healthy, and had a decent level of fitness sure! But it in NO WAY MAKES YOU IMMUNE to Covid. It has killed anyone from a child to healthy 20-30-40 year olds to the elderly.

People whining about their social lives being impacted or not being able to lift need to give their &^@#ing head a shake... Get over it, this is rare but life will get back to normal so do your part wear a damn mask and get the damn vaccine once it is available. If you don't, move the &^@# away maybe you were meant to be an American!

ya, strange that some think having a strong immune system might make some sort of difference.  If this is how angry you are on CDC maybe you should have a look at yourself.

• Cheers 1

Pro mask vs. anti mask is a pretty meaningless debate IMO.  Just wear a damn mask when you're out in public, we're in the middle of a pandemic.  There are no rights being taken away here.

On the other hand, debating how far the government should be able to step in and say who and who you aren't allowed to visit, in a private home and on your own time, is worth discussing.  And going even further, the government has basically shown it has the ability to decide which businesses survive and don't survive during this pandemic, that's a bit scary.  These are the real issues.  

Unfortunately, as with just about everything nowadays, social media, the media etc., have created this us vs. them rhetoric between the sheep and the anti-maskers, the far left and the far right, or whatever moniker you want to give each side, and no one is able to discuss anything rationally.

• Cheers 2